How to find Doula's in training? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who is due with her second baby early February and she would really like to have a doula.Her DH may or may not be present due to military deployment and her family doesn't live nearby.  How do I go about helping her find a doula in training who may be willing to attend her birth for their certification?

She lives 45 minutes south of Chicago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Try here: http://www.dona.org/mothers/find_a_doula.php

A certified Doula would probably be able to point you towards those who are looking to be certified. I do know that to be certified, a doula has to agree to do some work pro bono and never turn a mother away because of inability to pay.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 PM

ToLabor shows which doulas are certified and which are not: http://tolabor.com/Connections/resultsdirectory.php?state=Illinois&search=Search

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM

If he is deployed she would qualify for a doula through Operation Special Delivery http://operationspecialdelivery.com/

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, ladies. Im passing the info on to my friend.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 PM

I am a pretty seasoned doula who will take free clients if they can't pay. That being said- it is so much an honor to the service the doula is providing if there can be SOME sort of exchange of energies- I really wish this idea that doulas who are certifying must work for free would die a slow and painful death. If she wants a doula, she should interview every doula she can and let them know her situation so that the two of them can come up with a solution together, ideally. If not, can funds be rallied somehow? Even $50 helps offset the sometimes large amount of money these doulas lose to take on clients. I hope that information is helpful- it will definitely broaden her access to doulas if she just forgets about money and is honest with doulas she wishes to interview and asks for some collaboration. She'll get it!

There is also Operation Special Delivery that might be able to connect her with volunteer doulas in her area if she qualifies.

I hope this is helpful!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com

User Tag List