Doula Mamas Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't see a tribe for doula mamas as I was searching, but if I missed it, hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes!  I'd love to get to know other mamas who have been through it as well as helped others through it!

#2 of 79 Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi! I'm going to move this over to our Birth Professionals forum so you can find other doulas more easily! 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 79 Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM

I've been a doula for about 5 years (attended my first birth almost 8 years ago), and am expecting my first baby in May.  :)

#4 of 79 Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Georgia!  And CONGRATS Nutter!  I'm just finishing up my certification, which sort of got put on hold when I had my first baby last July.  Just getting back into it now, slowly though, since my son is just barely starting to eat anything other than being EBF, and I'm still figuring out the world of on-call childcare. ;p

#5 of 79 Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Hi!  I will be attending a Doula training workshop in April in preparation for applying to midwifery school this fall. 

MrsJPS- on-call childcare is an issue I have also dealt with.  I was with a very non-supportive partner, then a single mom for a while and felt I could not persue Doula or midwifery work because I didn't have easy access to on-call childcare.  I am so grateful for my fiance who is willing to be available to take care of the kids so I can finally follow my calling.

Divine WOMB likes this.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#6 of 79 Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Hi everyone! I'm a doula in East Texas and mama to 2 children, ages 3 and 1.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#7 of 79 Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM

I'm a Doula mama in Florida, with a 1 yr old son :) I am a birth doula, CBE (private), Postpartum Doula and Midwive's assistant. And I do belly casts and sew slings, too... I've attended births for nearly 3 years now.

I handle childcare in a few ways... I have a big list of available people!!! Mainly though, I have a very supportive family (my husband, mother and sister when she is home from collage).

My hubby takes off work when I have a birth Doula client in labor, as he has over 5 weeks of paid leave from work.... it is amazing! When he has a meeting he cannot miss, or something then my mom watches my boy. She also watches him when my hubby is in school, or while I'm doing postpartum work. I schedule CBE, belly casts and prenatal/postpartum meetings around my hubbys work, and I only assist when my mom is available, b/c financially it isn't enough for my hubby to miss work over.

My husband is finishing his bachelors, and will be going to law school g-d willing in the fall, and that may complicate things..... we will see. Right now my little one HYSTERICALLY cries when he is with any babysitter, and it is heartbreaking... :( I'm hoping by August that is better, and we've considered hiring a mothers helper 2-3x a week, who will be on call for us, so he feels more comfortable w/ the sitter. Things will again getr new complications in his 2nd lay school year, when he is in an internship and cannot leave work for my clients births... but I have faith I can make it work :)

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#8 of 79 Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM

I am an aspiring doula here (I have a post on here somewhere about that). I will be lurking.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#9 of 79 Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been working as a birth doula for a year. Right now, I'm working on a certification as a BirthWorks Childbirth Educator so that I can also offer childbirth classes.

We have four children, aged 3, 5, 7 and 10, who I homeschool.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 79 Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm a doula and student midwife. I have one two year old daughter and another baby on the way this summer.

#11 of 79 Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Hello!

My son was also born in July! I just started studying with CBI about a month ago for a birth doula and breastfeeding counselor. I still have awhile to go to reach certification but hoping to get my first birth in by the summer!!

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#12 of 79 Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Hi! I just received my cert. from ICEA and am so excited to find this forum! I attended 4 births during the training but then had my 4th baby 11 mos. ago, so things have become more complicated. He nurses a lot still and I'm not eager to leave him for hours and hours at a time. I attended my last birth when I was pregnant with him and I was there for 17 hours! Not do-able now that he's here, at least for now.  But I'm so anxious to get into the working world for doulas:) So...I'm going to just do scheduled postpartum work for now. In 6-12 mos. I'll start attending births again. I saw another mom on here also has 4 kids and homeschool- I do too. So, lots to consider! But I love this field!

#13 of 79 Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Aspiring doula and midwife (though no plans as to when I will be able to...) - happy to learn along the way though!

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#14 of 79 Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM

My name is Shannon and I live in Oregon.  I've always been drawn to the birthing experience, I saw my first birth when I was 19, since then I've seen two more births and have had three kids (1+ twins)  I am looking for more information to see where I'd begin to get started... I worked at an OBGYN clinic for two years and Right now I'm a licensed massage therapist so Hopefully that will help me along.   My children are still young 5, and 2 (twins) so I'm not sure how i will do it at this time, but I'm very very interested!!

Any information as to how to get started would be greatly appreciated! <3

#15 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Hi Shannon - I've found a lot of great info. on DONA.org - I know there are other certifications out there as well, but this one has definitely been helpful to me - I even used their list of doula's in my area to e-mail several of the ladies for information, and all of them responded and were amazingly helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymariep View Post

My name is Shannon and I live in Oregon.  I've always been drawn to the birthing experience, I saw my first birth when I was 19, since then I've seen two more births and have had three kids (1+ twins)  I am looking for more information to see where I'd begin to get started... I worked at an OBGYN clinic for two years and Right now I'm a licensed massage therapist so Hopefully that will help me along.   My children are still young 5, and 2 (twins) so I'm not sure how i will do it at this time, but I'm very very interested!!

Any information as to how to get started would be greatly appreciated! <3

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#16 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM

I'm Kiersten, living in Kentucky with my husband and two children: DS 5 and DD 2, I did my doula training with DONA and have found it to be solid and helpful, though a lot of paperwork. I'm finally ready to pull my application for certification together--wading my way through said paperwork bit by bit.  I'm loving the variety of moms I've been working with, but the realm of on-call childcare has certainly been daunting. We have no family nearby, so I've basically been compiling a resource list of my own of friends, homeschool and other SAHM's, and a lady down the street who watches her granddaughter from time to time.  My past three births have been strokes of luck though--one on Thanksgiving day (short enough to make it home for dinner), a Sunday night birth followed by a snow day, and a Saturday birth--all easily covered by DH. I know that luck will inevitably fail, and the challenge is that sitter options keep evolving and changing and I haven't truly found anyone willing to be fully on-call along with me...

#17 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Another aspiring doula. I will attend my training this spring, but have started my readings this month. I'm getting DONA certified and so excited about it.

I witnessed my first birth when I was 13, my nephew. 3 days later, I was there for the birth of my niece. Over the next few years, I witnessed 4 more births, all nieces and nephews. The last one was a traumatic birth. She survived, but it was close at the end. She was transferred to a children's hospital and later diagnosed with a genetic disorder they did not know about during pregnancy. I wasn't sure if I could witness another birth after being there for that one. After I'd had my own daughter, almost two years ago, my friend asked me to attend her home birth and take pictures for her. I told her about the baggage I bring with me, unsure if I'd make it through the whole thing.

I got the call for her birth at 4 in the morning and stayed with her until he was born at almost 3 that afternoon. I was there as photographer, but was quickly enlisted as co-doula with the midwives assistant and the other good friend that was there. We all took turns being her labor support throughout the day. It was an experience like none other and when I left that day, I just KNEW I had to do that again and again. That was last August and I immediately started looking into how I could become a doula. I was supposed to start my training last month, but finances put that on hold until this spring.

I really can't wait to start attending births, but I do have some concerns. One is that I am currently TTC. I imagine my future pregnancy and birth of said child will put my training on hold for a while. I just want to get to the point where I can start attending births before I have the baby. Then, once I'm ready to dive back in after the baby, I can go straight to attending births. The midwife who attended my friend's birth was impressed with how helpful I was and has offered any help I need from her. She works at a nearby birthing center and said I am welcome to attend any births I need with her.

I run a daycare out of my home, so I am still trying to figure out how to tell the parents of my on-call status as a doula. I am holding off until I know I will start attending births, though. My good friend (the co-doula) is also getting certified. She has offered to be my back up childcare, as well as back up doula if the need arises. I'm very lucky to have all of my family local to me, so I know my own child/ren will be cared for no matter what.

I just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself. I am very excited to be getting started on this. I feel like it's what I was meant to do. I never had any desire to work in the medical field, but I've been obsessed with birth since I saw my first one at age 13! There is just nothing else in the world like it.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#18 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Oh I did have a question for anyone going through/went through DONA. I have started my reading list. Is there some way I need to verify that I've done the readings? I haven't purchased my packet because with pregnancy possible in the near future, I can't guarantee I'll be done in 2 years. So, how should I be keeping track of what I'm doing?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#19 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM

WHen you purchase your packet, there is an official document with the mandatory and optional reading materials listed, which you cna check off which you've read and there's a place to sign the form at the bottom. They put a lot of trust in that you've read it. 

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#20 of 79 Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm so excited... in March I should be attending my first twins birth!!! Any tips for me? Here twins are born in the OR, with an epidural cath placed even if no pain medication is administered.... Baby A also has to be head down.

luckily, she is a 2nd time mama, so she gets a bit more leeway then a primip, which I've heard makes a difference. She will likely be induced at 37 weeks due to a medical condition she has, but she is strong and determined and will wait if she has an unfavorable bishops score.

#21 of 79 Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Well I have been to a twin birth (but it was my own ;)  I had to deliver in the OR for safety purposes.. I was told that if I didn't get an epideral that they would quickly knock me out if they had any problems and perform a c section.. But if I had an Epideral already put in than I would be awake either way.  Initially I tried to go natural (as I did with my first pregnancy) but after an hour of super intense contractions right on top of eachother I opted out and got the epideral.  I'm not sure where in OR you are, but I am in Southern Oregon and in the OR they would only allow my husband in (and he had to be in full scrubs) and there was the ob doc, two nurses and two pediatricians on standby. (kinda a big deal) I had no complications during my pregnancy so I wasn't a special case or anything... and once they discovered Baby A was "sunnyside up" they realized why I was in soo much pain soo quickly in the labor... Baby A came out with suction (cuz of his postion) and baby B came out 30 minutes later healthy as can be...

A couple things I learned coming out of the delivery is that BABY A is usually Bigger, and BABY B is usually the more concerning one, (that's why she used suction she didn't want to take her time cuz I guess the risks are higher.   My twins were 6lb7 oz and 6lb 14oz  I was Induced (finally) at 37 weeks and 5 days, I'm 5'2 and the babies were all out front.. so another thing I would recommend is to wrap mamas tummy once you get the ok from the doc.. I have a HUGE diastasis recti separation as a result of my large babies on my small frame. In fact I would talk to the mom now about excercises she can do to prevent this horrible side effect .. (only way to repair it is tummytuck otherwise, and certain excercises will just make it worse)

If I can help in anyway please ask... i've done tons of research on twin births and I love to help out other twin mamas (I started a twin group in my community as well)

Shay

#22 of 79 Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM

thanks buttongirl! I really appreciate it :) I'm going to look into it more right now :)

ButtonGirl likes this.
#23 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Here they will allow me to be there for the entire labor, but if it ends up at any time becoming a cesarean I will leave. I don't believe I have to be scrubbed up though. I am unsure yet if she will be laboring in a labor room or the or.... I belierve it willbe in a ldr room tho...

I will definately talk lots to her about exercises to do, thanks for the tip! any links you'd rec?

#24 of 79 Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM

lurk.gif

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#25 of 79 Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather333 View Post

Hi! I just received my cert. from ICEA and am so excited to find this forum! I attended 4 births during the training but then had my 4th baby 11 mos. ago, so things have become more complicated. He nurses a lot still and I'm not eager to leave him for hours and hours at a time. I attended my last birth when I was pregnant with him and I was there for 17 hours! Not do-able now that he's here, at least for now.  But I'm so anxious to get into the working world for doulas:) So...I'm going to just do scheduled postpartum work for now. In 6-12 mos. I'll start attending births again. I saw another mom on here also has 4 kids and homeschool- I do too. So, lots to consider! But I love this field!

What led you to choose ICEA? I've been looking at their website, just out of curiosity.

How old are your kids? (I'm the homeschooler with 4)

#26 of 79 Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM

"Any tips for me? Here twins are born in the OR, with an epidural cath placed even if no pain medication is administered.... "

I've attended two twin births.

At the first one, mom declined having the epidural placed because she wasn't comfortable with it.The nurses tried to talk her into it but she stayed firm and they got over it. She labored in the regular labor and delivery room and we moved to the OR when she started pushing. Both babies were born vaginally, an hour apart.

At the second birth, Mom did choose to have an epidural. It mostly wore off by the time she was pushing, and she was even able to do some pushing standing up. We all went to the OR when it was near time for Baby A to be born. The second baby was born via Cesarean, which I was able to stay for.

#27 of 79 Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM

like the name Doula Mamas Tribe. I am a Doula in the Atlanta metro area and would love to connect with others as well. http://www.craftswombman.com/womb_services.

#28 of 79 Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Question for you Doula Mamas:

Did you start attending births before you experienced childbirth for yourself? If so, how has your own birth(s) affected/changed the way you support mothers, now that you are a mother yourself?

#29 of 79 Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Hi!  I'm a new doula and a mother of 2.  My kids are 1.5 and almost 4.  I am not yet certified with DONA, but I have all my paperwork purchased and now I am wondering if I should go through with the certification or not.  I love working with essential oils and bringing my clients an herbal bath afterwards and I am pretty sure that would all be out of my scope of practice as a DONA doula.  Thoughts?  

The trickiest part for me, so far, has not been childcare because I have an awesome support system and live near all my family, but the sleep deprivation.  People are of course so willing to help when I'm AT a birth, but then afterwards and getting very little sleep I am having such a hard time caring for my 2 young kids by myself on basically no sleep.  So I need to figure that one out.  I know I need to ask for help, but I guess that's hard for me to do.  

I love being a doula though!!  I am going to Hypnobabies training next weekend and then I'll be a CBE  and I teach prenatal yoga, so it all fits together really nicely, I think.  So happy to have found my life's passion!!  

#30 of 79 Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM

I am also an aspiring doula, lactation consultant, CBE, midwife asst. :) I plan to start next month. I am in the process of buying books now. I hope to be able to officially join this thread soon. Has anyone been certified through Birth Arts Intl?

Melanie wife and mama

Tags
Doulas

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page