Doula and finding a mentor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Currently, I'm training to be a doula and have not attended any births but my own. I would not be comfortable taking on clients until I have some "practice" births under my belt. I would like to be a midwife's assistant or be a second doula at a birth. I had a CNM attend my birth (who I adored) and she has a practice with a few OBs. I am wondering if it would be appropriate to ask her about being a sort of assistant to her.

Does anybody have suggestions for me on how to find a mentor? 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM

I just jumped in.  I was a doula for my friends before I did the toLabor workshop, so after the workshop, I started advertising and taking clients.   

Do you have any friends expecting?

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I do, and one of them is aware that I am training to be a Doula. I don't want to push it or ask to be at the birth because I don't want to just invite myself. It seems like a sensitive issue and I don't know how to go about it. 

Also, I'm training through CBI and I don't have a workshop that is required of me to go to, since it is all online. 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM

maybe you can hook up with other doulas in the area through CBI?

I think it's okay to advertise yourself as what you are, a doula in training, or a doua working toward certification. There are lots of women out there who would love to have labor support, but can't afford a full fee. There are also lots of women out there who would probably be happy to help you get the births you need to feel comfortable because they to have a job that has a certification process. (teachers come to mind)

SE Mich has a pretty big birthing community, so if you can get together with some of your peers, then it might make it easier to attend some births as well.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM

You may want to get in touch with local childbirth educators and let them know that you're a doula in training looking for births to attend.

I would recommend against volunteering to attend births for free unless it's someone you really connect with who wants to use you but can't afford anything. I think that people value things more when they pay something for it. Also, you'll end up with costs from attending births (gas, parking, childcare) that you deserve to have covered.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 PM

Try to find out who the veteran doulas in your area are and from there see if they would mind you going to a  birth or two with them. :) If you hit it off it may turn into a full on mentorship.

Or maybe if that doesn't work out, start a doula group yourself? :)   "If you build it they will come!" :)   

Re the CNM-- If you state your dilemna to your CNM, and also your desire to attend births as an assistant,  you won't even be asking her, but letting her know your interest.  That way you won't be putting her on the spot. Hopefully at the least she will have an idea or a referral for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page