5 Hour Energy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey,

I am a birth doula and I have 2 clients due days from each other. I'm really excited about it, but I think that has caused me to not get very much sleep. I am really tired right now but I am doing homework for tomorrow and have to work at 5. I'm really thinking I might have a client go into labor tonight because she's lost her mucus plug and has been having intermittent contractions the past two days and they've gotten increasingly stronger at night. Her attitude has also changed from being afraid to ready, and for me I am finding that is the biggest cue that I need to be ready because that attitude change is powerful.

I'm afraid I'm going to be really tired for her birth, and this is a first baby so it could be long. I have another client who was due today and she isn't showing many signs of impending labor, but she's gonna have a baby soon too nonetheless.

Would it be a bad idea to buy a 3 pack of 5-Hour Energy for my doula bag? Other friends, including doula friends have suggested it to me because you don't get that rush and crash like caffeine or Rockstars give you. I don't usually ever take any kind of energy drink because of how it affects me, but people have assured me this one is better. What do you think? And what do you think of the use of energy drinks by birth professionals in general?

#2 of 16 Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would try one first when you are not at a birth to see how you react. If you have reacted poorly to energy drinks in the past then you would hate to have a reaction while trying to work.

It is funny that you ask what to think of birth professionals using energy drinks to start with. Tonight I just picked up a starbuck doubleshot lite to keep in my birth bag :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 16 Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 AM

I would try it first when someone is not counting on you to be sane. lol. Seriously. I have been known to consume a "Guru" or two when needed, but I know how I react to them, and how much is too much... and too much can make me crazy.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#4 of 16 Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks to midwifeErika I got hooked on Rockstar energy drinks while we were at a birth center together. wink1.gif

I agree that you should try it out first. I actually tried 5 hour energy (because at this birth center you could easily be up for more than 24 hours at a time) and did nothing for me. I think my body likes it's unhealthy caffeine mixed with 30 pounds of sugar.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Is 5 hour energy safe for nursing? I work one night a week, 7p-7a and it's brutal. My nursling is over 2.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#6 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 PM

I'm a fan of the 5 hour energies.  I even started out with the decaf ones, since I'm not usually a caffeine drinker.  They are a good shot of B vitamins.  They have helped me through a couple of long labors to stay focused and not jittery. 

~Mama K doula

#7 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM

All of this talk about 5 hour energy has left me with a question.  So if you take this and it perks you up - how long until you come down?  I am asking only because I have been to some births that I think will be long and so I will start to drink coffee and then the birth soars through and I am now hyped up on caffeine and when I get home I can't sleep.  Does this stuff work the same way?

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#8 of 16 Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM

I agree, try it when it isn't a critical time first. I will give my opinion on the 5 hour energy drinks. First, you have to buy the real ones, the cheap dollar store version is really no good from my experience. I dont drink them very often, but my boyfriend is a fan.  they have about the same amount of caffine that a cup of coffe does, and then the rest is in a really high dose of B vitamins. There is nothing in there that is really bad if you are ok with caffine. The Caffine gives the initial pick me up and the B vitamins back it up. You can do the same thing with a cup of coffee to swallow a handfull of B vitamins for alot less money overall, but to me it just doesnt seem to work together the same. It does of course wear off, but it isnt like you feel a big high and then get dropped. You just are not falling asleep in your chair, LOL

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#9 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I'll admit, sometimes I have trouble sleeping after using these, but the bottles are so small I just keep some in my bag and save them for when I'm starting to drag at a birth, rather than using them as a just in case ahead of time. I end up not using them very often, but they've been a lifesaver at births that go over 24 hours. They've also been a literal lifesaver when I've needed to drive myself home after hitting the point of true exhaustion (as in could fall asleep at the wheel exhaustion), even if I didn't use them for the birth itself..

#10 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM

You can't take more than 2 in a 24 hour period. And they are caffeinated, about the amount in a cup of coffee. You can take half for moderate energy and the whole thing for full energy. I recently tried one at work the other day, I only did half. I don't drink caffeine ever at all, period... and just the half of it gave me the energy boost I needed, but if made me feel very very sick. I would use it again in an emergency situation but I sure didn't appreciate the dizziness and the shakes and sick stomach... however, again I'm not used to caffeine so it may have been that. 

#11 of 16 Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the wonderful responses so far! I am pondering getting them today because I just got home from an 18 hour birth (from which I got no sleep) and work starts in 2 hours...I am in need of some serious energy! :) I handle caffeine pretty well, so I think I might try it out!

#12 of 16 Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up taking 5-Hour Energy and it totally SAVED me! It didn't feel like caffeine at all, it just felt like I had energy. It lasted me longer than 5 hours too, which was great! I ended up being awake for over 24 hours that day (because I needed to be not because of the energy drink) and managed to stay cheerful the whole time! I highly recommend 5 Hour Energy! It worked really well for me! I have two in my doula bag now for times like that when I will need them.

#13 of 16 Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM

I thought about this threat yesterday, LOL. In conversation with a midwife at the birth center I am at right now the 5 hour energy came up. I told her I had thought about buying some to put in my bag but never got to it. She told me she thinks they are the best, and they all use them and they keep them at the center at all times, buying buy the case :)

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#14 of 16 Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 AM

I have sleeping problems half a year ago.  Not any medical condition – just too tired at work to fall asleep.  I hate taking any pharmaceuticals – so tried another ways.  My good experience is yoga and sound relaxation technology (I used pzizz android app – however there are many mp3/ cds in net).

#15 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm going to try these now! I've seen them and frown thinking EW but really good emergency for the birth bag without the coffee breath.

I thought they were filled with junk at first.

For me, I want to balance my calmness and my wakefulness. I had getting too gittery energy wise but 5am after being up 24 working calls for a backup drink!

I find coffee makes me gassy at births, which isn't fun. Id like to see if these help.

Damn you for asking. But also, thanks!

Ease exhaust any typos, set from my itouch.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 01:48 PM

FYI: 5 hour energy contains taurine, which is from the intestines of animals (believe it is bull for 5 hour energy). 

Just in case anyone is veg! I nearly bought one today - glad for the informed cashier who knows I'm vegan! 

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page