doula training programs-how did you decide which one was for you - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so I am researching doula certification programs and most of what I have come across all seem very solid in their training practices and for the most part flexible in their timelines for completion, but my question is how did you decide which program to study and did you feel that training really prepared you to be a birth doula.....

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#2 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

lurk.gif

I am fortunate enough to live near Bastyr and I am going to study there.  I am really interested to see what others have to say. 

http://www.seattlemidwifery.org/simkin-school/birth-doula.html

'09   
#3 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly, I took the training through DONA because they were having a birth doula training locally and I thought that DONA would be good as far as name recognition. Perhaps because they are undergoing organizational changes, I've found that DONA's organization and customer services leaves something to be desired.

With the DONA certification done, I've signed up for the BirthWorks childbirth educator program. They have been very easy to work with and I kinda wish I had gone with them in the first place.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM

I chose DONA because they had the closest training to me and in my area they had the biggest name recognition at the time.  Plus most of the doulas in my area were certified through them - not the case anymore as a large number of doulas in my area have let go of their certifications and are practicing without.  

I felt my training was very good and it prepared me for doula work, but to be honest over the years I have taken many different trainings and I have found that the trainings aren't good or bad based upon the certifying body but more on the trainer(s) themselves.  So if you are looking for a good training ask around and find a good trainer.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#5 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Interesting. 

I thought that it was important to have the DONA or PALS certifications as a "who's who" type credentials , KWIM? 

I went through the Bradley Method for our birth.  From what I understand I could take the Bradley teacher course and be a doula as well.  Is this right?  Reading the website is a tad confusing.  If I were to take that course then I am not certified by DONA and/or PALS, right?

I appreciate any input as I am starting this process.

'09   
#6 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM

It is my understanding that they only certified you as a childbirth educator and not as a doula.  Anyone can be a doula and you do not need to be certified.  If you want to be certified by DONA you have to take their training and accomplish their requirements.  I am assuming PALS is the same.  

mamamoonbirth likes this.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#7 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Yeah.. I kinda thought anyone could be a doula....  meaning no formal education on paper.... life experience indeed.  

Thank you. 

'09   
#8 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 AM

I chose toLabor and I'm so very glad I did.  I chose it bc it's really big into the midwifery model of care.  The training was very thorough and definitely prepared me for being a doula...though I'm glad I got to shadow a more experienced doula for my first two births to learn the ropes.  

Something I really appreciate now that I've done my training and in the process of certifiying - I love that I don't have to track down a doctor or midwife for a review of how I cared for my client for my cert requirements.  My client's word is sufficient (and most important IMO).

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#9 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

this is all so interesting and such good feedback & perspectives..... i guess its the life experience-after having 2 babies- that has lead me to doula training in the first place. I think that's a great suggestion to ask around for good trainers...(I should know that from my yoga training...)

#10 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

ok so just a quick update...I'm going with a local DONA certified trainer (its close and coming up soon) and I'm super excited about it! Finally starting on the next phase of my life in a way....anyway, thank you for all in the insight ladies!

#11 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM

Anyone have any information about BirthWorks International?  I saw that Michel Odent and Ina May Gaskin were on the Board of Advisors and I really jive with their mission statement & philosophy.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them??

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
#12 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 PM

I am working on my BirthWorks doula training now and will begin the Childbirth Educator program this summer.

When I started my doula program, both DONA and BWI were holding workshops near me within a month of each other. I chose BWI based on my midwife's recommendation. I have found that it really supports what my birth community believes - that women are made to give birth, we just need the safe, supportive environment to do so.

I really liked the workshop and Cathy Daub is an amazing woman. It was an intimate workshop and I learned a lot not just about labor and birth, but also about myself. I am soooo excited to start the educator program! (And I also like that Gaskin and Odent are on the board - what great support!)

mrstice, married to mrtice 8/2007, mama to Oli (8/2008) and Finn (3/2010). breastfeeder, babywearer, bedsharer, cloth diaperer, homebirther, doula-to-be.
#13 of 32 Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM

I appreciate hearing of other programs and thoughts.  

'09   
#14 of 32 Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

One more question...did anyone do an additional training like lactation consultant or childbirth educator, while you were working on your doula training or does that seem too much at one time.

#15 of 32 Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

I plan on taking the LC course right after. 

'09   
#16 of 32 Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I believe at one point I had several certifications going at once (don't think it was birth doula, but maybe educator and postpartum doula).   Nothing crazy about it as long as you can handle it.  If you decide to do it the first thing I would do is look and see what things can be shared and tackle those together to save time.

#17 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I took CBE, Birth Doula, and Postpartum Doula classes back to back. By the last class, I was ready to have a break, but on the flip side I felt like they complimented each other. It was what worked with me for taking time off of work and the vacation I had available. I took all the classes through The Simkin Center at Bastyr University. Penny Simkin was one of my Birth Doula teachers, by chance! I didn't know that she was going to be one of the teachers until I got to class.

CrescentC likes this.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#18 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I took CBE, Birth Doula, and Postpartum Doula classes back to back. By the last class, I was ready to have a break, but on the flip side I felt like they complimented each other. It was what worked with me for taking time off of work and the vacation I had available. I took all the classes through The Simkin Center at Bastyr University. Penny Simkin was one of my Birth Doula teachers, by chance! I didn't know that she was going to be one of the teachers until I got to class.

Fantastic! 

I am planning the same route for my education.

Any tips you could share?

'09   
#19 of 32 Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstice View Post

I am working on my BirthWorks doula training now and will begin the Childbirth Educator program this summer.

When I started my doula program, both DONA and BWI were holding workshops near me within a month of each other. I chose BWI based on my midwife's recommendation. I have found that it really supports what my birth community believes - that women are made to give birth, we just need the safe, supportive environment to do so.

I really liked the workshop and Cathy Daub is an amazing woman. It was an intimate workshop and I learned a lot not just about labor and birth, but also about myself. I am soooo excited to start the educator program! (And I also like that Gaskin and Odent are on the board - what great support!)

I was wondering at what point in your training you went to the workshop.  I'm (hopefully) starting the BirthWorks Childbirth Educator program in July and would actually be able to go to a summer workshop, but I'm wondering if I need to get some of the coursework under my belt before I go.  What would you suggest, mrstice?

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
#20 of 32 Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM

I trained through Childbirth International and loved the program.  I highly recommend it.  It is very in depth!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#21 of 32 Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM

So those of you with little ones... still nursing..  how do you see clients through labor?  DS is 22 months, never have been away from him. 

DS is exclusively breastfed and never had a bottle.  I pumped once and that was it for me.  Best to wait until he is done nursing?  Think I have answered my own question in writing here but curious to hear thoughts. 

'09   
#22 of 32 Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

I'm currently working on my DONA certification. I, like others, made this choice because my local area has a DONA training program that I attended. (Center for the Childbearing Year in A2--GREAT program/educators for those who are in the area and interested). I'm really happy with the requirements so far (very manageable) and most doulas around my area are certified with DONA. I originally thought that I wouldn't get certified, but I've found that all of the clients that have interviewed me have asked if I was certified, and I want to be able to say 'yes'. :)

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

#23 of 32 Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbirthdoula View Post
I originally thought that I wouldn't get certified, but I've found that all of the clients that have interviewed me have asked if I was certified, and I want to be able to say 'yes'. :)

That was my thought.  I would ask that if I was hiring a doula as a first time Mama.  I am so excited to get started!

'09   
#24 of 32 Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Personally I have seen clients through 2 pregnancies and nursings.  Since my children were always able to stay with their daddy while I was gone I had no guilt in leaving them.  In our family my husband has just as strong of a bond to our children as I have, and so leaving the kids is a non-issue for either of us as long as they are with the other parent.  I equate me leaving and going to work as no different then him leaving and going to work.  Our children are secure in whatever parent they are with.  

Now that being said - if you don't have that type of situation then yes I would wait until after your child is done nursing because the reality of the situation is that you could be stuck at a birth that goes beyond 24 hours - how will your child fare in that situation?  My only hang up with being away is that I hate pumping :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

So those of you with little ones... still nursing..  how do you see clients through labor?  DS is 22 months, never have been away from him. 

DS is exclusively breastfed and never had a bottle.  I pumped once and that was it for me.  Best to wait until he is done nursing?  Think I have answered my own question in writing here but curious to hear thoughts. 

#25 of 32 Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 AM

That is very interesting because in my area no one ever asks smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbirthdoula View Post

I'm currently working on my DONA certification. I, like others, made this choice because my local area has a DONA training program that I attended. (Center for the Childbearing Year in A2--GREAT program/educators for those who are in the area and interested). I'm really happy with the requirements so far (very manageable) and most doulas around my area are certified with DONA. I originally thought that I wouldn't get certified, but I've found that all of the clients that have interviewed me have asked if I was certified, and I want to be able to say 'yes'. :)

#26 of 32 Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM

I also trained through CBI (childbirth international.)  I chose them because the course was completely online which worked with my schedule.  Also, I'm a UC mama so finding an organization that was supportive of the decision to UC was important to me.  I loved the training program! 

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

#27 of 32 Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Just to let everyone know.... BAI can be done in eLearning, distance learning or a workshop, so many options. The also support a woman's right to choose ANY birth option.

I love my training and the online program really is so convienent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lia_joy View Post

I also trained through CBI (childbirth international.)  I chose them because the course was completely online which worked with my schedule.  Also, I'm a UC mama so finding an organization that was supportive of the decision to UC was important to me.  I loved the training program! 

#28 of 32 Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto9kidlets View Post

Personally I have seen clients through 2 pregnancies and nursings.  Since my children were always able to stay with their daddy while I was gone I had no guilt in leaving them.  In our family my husband has just as strong of a bond to our children as I have, and so leaving the kids is a non-issue for either of us as long as they are with the other parent.  I equate me leaving and going to work as no different then him leaving and going to work.  Our children are secure in whatever parent they are with.  

Now that being said - if you don't have that type of situation then yes I would wait until after your child is done nursing because the reality of the situation is that you could be stuck at a birth that goes beyond 24 hours - how will your child fare in that situation?  My only hang up with being away is that I hate pumping :)

My Husband and Son's bond is as strong as mine.  I am just nervous about the night nursing as I am hopefully going to let him wean himself.  This thread has been great for me to think things through a tad more.  I appreciate all the posts. 

Thinking I will read the material then plan on taking the class sometime next year. 

'09   
#29 of 32 Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ok ladies...sorry I've been incommunicado, I just got back from my training and wow was it amazing! Truly transformational and inspirational. I studied with a local DONA trainer and she was just incredible.

#30 of 32 Old 05-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto9kidlets View Post

That is very interesting because in my area no one ever asks smile.gif

My goodness mama!  You are grandfathered in as certified!  9 kiddos, wow!   lol.gif

'09   

Tags
Birth Arts International Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page