any postpartum doulas here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would you reccomend some reading? Give some sage advice?

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#2 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Can you be a little more specific in what you're looking for?  I'd love to be able to help you.  :)

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#3 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM

I'm a birth and postpartum doula - can you elaborate a little?  I'd love to help too!

I took my certification course for both birth and postpartum doula through childbirth international

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#4 of 11 Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

When I posted, I was looking for book suggestions. I have since found a few, and now I'm more confused. What do I actually do? Get water? Provide phone numbers for helplines?

I'm reading Nuturing the Family by Jacqueline Kelleher. It seems to be more of a list of dont's than do's.

I'm also doing my training through CBI. I'm a single mama, so hoping to do pp work while I do my cbe and bfe. When dc are older, I'd like to birth doula.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#5 of 11 Old 05-15-2011, 03:30 PM

The way I like to view postpartum doula work is that we are doing those things that a loving "mother/grandmother" might come in and do for her daughter while she is recovering from her birth and bonding with her baby.  So providing opportunities for mom to take care of herself - allow her to nap, make sure she eats properly, make sure she has plenty of time with the baby and/or time with older siblings if there are any, make sure she has time to take care of her needs like showering, etc.  Perhaps do some light housekeeping so she doesn't feel like she has to get up and wash dishes or stuff like that.  Teach and model baby care - pass on that wisdom that a mother would normally pass to her daughter when her daughter gives birth.  We are there to Mother the Mother through this period where she is learning, bonding, and resting.  

I am sure I am missing lots, but that kind of the idea of what I do as a postpartum doula.

MamatotoDoula likes this.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#6 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 AM

To me, the role of a postpartum doula is not so much in the operations (housekeeping, babysitting etc) but on the emotional support and assistance of the mother during the crisis that the ppperiod is. Finding her true voice as a mother, reorganization of the family, helping the mom to voice her requests in a concrete way (to her partner/ family/children). Help her navigate the emotions and sensations that come after giving birth, processing the birth and assitance with breastfeeding.

An excellent book is Maternity:coming face to face with your own shadow by Laura Gutman

#7 of 11 Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Here are some details about what I tell or write to clients who request about my services as a postpartum doula. 

I have extensive training and experience in mother and infant care, lactation support, infant massage, infant development, care of multiples, postpartum mood disorder, and family transitions.

I'm there to teach and assist with breastfeeding, maternal postnatal and newborn care and helping you and your partner learn to read your baby’s cues for feeding. Teach bathing, diapering, and umbilical cord care, soothing techniques and learning to pump if needed.

Helpful around the house taking care of any necessary tasks for the family such as laundry, errands, tidying up and I'm a very good healthy cooks! 

All my services are individually tailored to meet the unique needs of each family. The tasks and focus of care provided by me each day will depend on the priorities requested or needed by your family.

`````

I then include my credentials.

#8 of 11 Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto9kidlets View Post

The way I like to view postpartum doula work is that we are doing those things that a loving "mother/grandmother" might come in and do for her daughter while she is recovering from her birth and bonding with her baby.  So providing opportunities for mom to take care of herself - allow her to nap, make sure she eats properly, make sure she has plenty of time with the baby and/or time with older siblings if there are any, make sure she has time to take care of her needs like showering, etc.  Perhaps do some light housekeeping so she doesn't feel like she has to get up and wash dishes or stuff like that.  Teach and model baby care - pass on that wisdom that a mother would normally pass to her daughter when her daughter gives birth.  We are there to Mother the Mother through this period where she is learning, bonding, and resting.  

I am sure I am missing lots, but that kind of the idea of what I do as a postpartum doula.

Absolutely!  In a perfect world no woman would ever NEED a PPDoula because she would have a loving, caring, mother/sister/friend in her life - who didnt work full time/ live three time zones away /knew nothing about breastfeeding...etc....  I find myself adapting to every mom differently, some Moms NEED to sit and talk and process the birth, some really dont feel comfortable doing that with me.  Breastfeeding going well is key, once that is going well i turn my attention to ALL the other stuff that she would be doing herself if she wasnt busy sitting on the couch breastfeeding!   I read - "Mothering the Mother" - by Penny Simkin (i think!)  and anything by Sheila Kitzinger is a good choice!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#9 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM

I agree with everything all these ladies have said. Every postpartum mama/situation is different and will have different needs. I've had mamas who needed a lot of emotional support - so I spent most of my time talking with them, helping them process their birth experiences and postpartum feelings. Some mamas are not as needy emotionally and really just need a lot of practical support. For them, I accompanied them to doctors visits/ errands, prepared nutritious meals, did laundry, dishes, and nursery maintenance. There are also special circumstances such as a mom recovering from a cesarean birth, who I did pretty much everything for in the first few days, or a mom of multiples, who needed help with time management and organization. 

Usually it is a combination of everything - the emotional and practical support, breastfeeding tips, referrals to community resources. It is so very rewarding!! I am excited for you as you embark on this wonderful journey. 

Elyse joy.gif

#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM

I was going to come ask the same question. Great advice, ladies!

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#11 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 AM

On the business side, find out how much baby nurses charge in your area, and charge more. We are not a comparable service, so why charge the same?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page