Childbirth International - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. I am seriously considering training to become a doula. I am not ready to build a business yet (two little ones with a husband who works a 9-5)  but I do want to get some training before attending a close friends birth as a "doula" role. I've looked into most of the different orgs and Childbirth International speaks to me as the best for my situation, because it's all online and gives a lifetime cert once completed. Has anyone here taken this course? Is it comprehensive? I would possibly be interested in taking a workshop locally but I can't find one this year through any organization. Any advice?

SAHM to DS (10/07) and DD (4/10)
#2 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM

I am on the cusp of graduating from CBI as a childbirth educator. I was trained by DONA 8 years ago as a doula. The difference in these courses is tremendous. I have experience with the courses offered by DONA, CAPPA, CBI, and BFW. 

By far, CBI is the most comprehensive and in my opinion, the best value. The materials you will cover will prepare you to speak knowledgeably, think critically, silence yourself at the right times, and mentor your clients to ask their own deep questions. 

Nikki has created a really balanced program that arms you with tools AND resources - and having your own trainer with whom to communicate is just an invaluable resource as you proceed through your training/certification. 

I can't say enough about it! You're welcome to email me with any other questions you have: kristina@dynamicdoula.com

veggielover likes this.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#3 of 9 Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi There,

I just got certified as a birth doula from CBI.  I chose them because of their independent study format because I was living abroad when I started and didn't really have other options (like attending a doula training in English).  I love that I could work at my own pace; I love that their requirements felt very manageable (even now looking at DONA's requirements I feel a bit overwhelmed); I loved the price tag.  Two things stand out that I didn't love.  One, the tone of the email group was sometimes a bit discouraging to me (more catty, less supportive) and I eventually opted out of the list completely.  And two, I find that I miss having had some hands-on training that I would have gotten from attending a workshop.  However, I learn by doing and I can certainly find that hands-on stuff on my own through my own doula connections.  So, I still think CBI was the best option for me given my situation.  Also, unlike DynamicDoula I don't have any other direct experience with other orgs, so I am not speaking comparatively!  Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.  

veggielover likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Hi there, thanks for starting this thread! I am very excited and hopeful at the prospect of getting certified as a birth doula through Childbirth International!

I'm hoping to eventually pursue midwife training, but thought it would be beneficial to get certified as a birth doula first. My thought is that after certification I could continue to attend births as a doula while studying the midwifery materials before I seek an actual apprenticeship with a midwife. Since the only birth I've ever attended was the one where I labored to deliver my daughter, I figure I should experience other births before making the huge decision to become a midwife! :D

With all that being said... I am glad to see such positive feedback on Childbirth International! I was on the DONA site for a while but left more overwhelmed and confused than before I began! lol Compared to DONA and even CAPPA, CI seems almost too good to be true--less money, more flexible, and a lot less time to complete. I'd pick this in a heart beat! I'm still a little curious to hear from more birth doulas that certified through them--because, as I said, it seems almost too good to be true.

Thanks so much!

#5 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM

I am trained through DONA as a birth doula and CAPPA as a postpartum doula, and am still working on my certifications. I was actually thinking of just getting my certification through CBI, because they do not require doctors evaluations. It is very difficult to get an eval from the doctor, because they are in and out of the room so fast. As of now that is the only thing holding me back from certification and I want to just be done already!! 

I have a doula friend who trained through CBI and LOVED it. She said the training manual is VERY thorough compared to DONA (she had taken both trainings). 

As far as the hands on experience as someone mentioned, the in person workshops dont even really cover that too much. It is mostly lecture and videos and talking. There was only a very small portion on hands on. I would recommend just watching youtube videos of births with a doula, or asking an experienced doula in your area if you can shadow them. Plus when you get into the birth room, if you have done your reading, I am sure you will know what to do. 

Best of luck to you!! :-)

Elyse

Birth & Postpartum Doula

Mamatoto Doula Services

www.mamatotodoula.com

#6 of 9 Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM

I live in S. IL and recently certified as a doula through CBI and thought the material was thorough and felt very supported during my training.  Feel free to email me with questions.  mapatula6@gmail.com

#7 of 9 Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM

I realize this is a VERY old thread, but, hoping some of you might still be around! :D 

I'm ready to start my postpartum doula/breastfeeding educator training. Also considering the childbirth educator cert. I'm 97% sure I want Childbirth International. 

So, a few questions for those of you that went through CBI -

-In the end, what was your opinion - did you feel educated/prepared?

-If you had to do it again, would you go with them, or, a different route?

-If you took the childbirth educator cert - are you teaching? And - WHERE? Private classes, a center, a hospital???

Thank you SO much!!! Feeling very overwhelmed right now! 

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#8 of 9 Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 PM

This has been helpful to me! I plan on doing the childbirth educator and breastfeeding counselor training and I'm looking for all of the reviews I can. 

Does anyone know if the childbirth educator is considered "certified" from CBI? They never mention that on their site. 

Thanks! 

Sasha 

#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Bumping up

I second the lengthy certification process with DONA, but I felt my training was both well rounded and hands on. I think you can't get enough hands on training- so an online based study would not work for me. (especially true with labor/delivery positions, rebozo, birthing ball, breastfeeding/newborn positioning..)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page