Appropriate Fee for a "for friends" doula/photographer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think we found a doula. Yay!

Before even announcing our pregnancy, I told DH that this person would be wonderful at it, she's had two homebirths, and two other natural births, she's got a great personality, we click, she's feisty, and she takes amazing photos. I'm very interested in having birth photography done, almost moreso than I am concerned with having a doula for relaxation/pain support. (I've practiced as a doula myself before, so I know the basics, as does DH). I want someone who will be able to kind of do both-- mostly take photos, but be capable of putting down the camera and helping a bit if needed. She was the first person who came to mind, and she has recently doulaed/photographed for a few of her friends. 

I posted on FB today that I was needing to start looking for doulas, and she responded right away and said she would love to be our doula. It was like fate, since she was whom I had pinpointed initially. 

Now, she hasn't mentioned fees or being paid at all, and I'm not sure she will, but I'd like to offer her something, I'm just having a hard time coming up with -what-. I know her because I babysat for her half a dozen times when her youngest two were about 4mo and 2 years. It all spanned about two months, and then I haven't seen them in about a year, because they moved further away from me, and closer to another babysitter they use. We aren't friends, acquaintances really, and I really look up to her. As a photographer, she is also a hobby photog, has done weddings and newborn shots for friends, and a few "commercial" gigs for local small time art shows etc. 

All the well known doulas in our area charge between $550-$600. 

Where would you start thinking would be an appropriate amount in this case? 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 PM

My birth photog is $400, including a box set of images and a disk with rights to print. My doula is a close friend. I'll be her first birth after training, so she'll be getting a restaurant gift card of some sort. I would just flat ask her about her pricing and what it includes on the photography end.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#3 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Honestly I would start by asking her.  She might assume you know what she charges since your friends have used her or she might not know how to broach that subject.  I would start by contacting her to see what she charges and start there.  If her rate is too low in your mind then you can pay her a bonus after the birth if you feel like her services were worth it.  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, confusing story. None of my friends have used her... she's only doulaed for her own friends. I don't think she has ever charged before, as they were all quite close friends of hers. It's not a career of hers, just an interest. I'll definately talk to her once we get a chance to sit down, I'm just trying to figure out ahead of time what seems "normal"

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.  I would say that whatever the normal fee is for a new doula would be what you should pay her.  It is important to remember that someone does not have to be trained or certified to work as a doula, and in some communities people don't do either and in some communities everyone does it.  So if I was you I would start in my mind with what a new doula makes (maybe a little more since she is doing two roles) and then I would talk with her :)  Good luck.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM

I have just started my business as a doula and birth photographer ( Vancouver) I am charging between $800 and $600 sliding scale. So far I have been paid $500, $700 and $800. I hope to be able to go up to $1000 once I am more established. 

I hope this helps.

#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 AM

I would doula for my friends for free, honestly, and just feel honoured that I was included. If they're more of an acquaintance than a friend, I would probably charge my usual fee. I would start by having a discussion with her about it to see what her expectations are.

Birth Doula and Childbirth Educator serving Northern VA and the Metro DC area.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page