Suggestions for coping techniques when confined in a small area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I would really really appreciate it if somebody could help me. I am going to be attending my first birth very soon and my client will have to be confined to bed or a very small area (wherever cord will reach) due to the fact that she is having twins and they only have a monitor that can detect 2 heartbeats which has a small cord. 

Thank you.

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vocalization! 

As far as position changes, she may want to consider internal monitoring for baby A.  Her mobility will be affected by the length of the cord but also how well babies are staying on the monitor.  In some mommas (most of em actually), its hard to continously monitor 1 baby when mom is changing position (esp any forward leaning position).

Some positions that work well with continous monitoring -- standing, slow dancing, bring bed way up and have mom lean on it moving hips, side lying, hands and knees, on knees leaning over back of bed, birth ball.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#3 of 4 Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 AM

Positioning, vocalization, birth ball, massage, counterpressure - really you can do just about all of the same things that you normally with just by the monitor versus moving far away.  The only thing I see limiting would be tub/shower.  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2011, 12:17 PM

I would really try for intermittant monitoring - if both babies are doing well she should be able to walk and move around much of the time...she shouldn't have to be on the monitor all the time.  IF she does - she can use the birth ball right by the monitor, she can get in bed and lean over the back of the bed or she can sit cross-legged in bed...you can also put a serving cart in front of her and pile it with pillows and she can lean on it.  If she is stuck on her back have her move from side to side every 10 to 15 min. - REALLY helps rotate baby and bring babies down OR you can use the robozo - even in bed!  More than anything - be there for her and support her in her choices. 

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page