Any Teen to Twenty-Something Doula's out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm just curious...any doulas out there who are in their teens or 20's?

I became a certified birth doula when I was 19, now I'm 20. I'm just curious if there are any others like me out there and if so, what has your experience been as a younger doula? What do you think are some benefits to being a young doula? Some drawbacks? Has it been a challenge for you to get births?

I'd just love to hear from you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Hi E!  I am a labor and postpartum doula and I am 22.  I just trained last year and attended my first births in April.  I love it! 

I think that one of the advantages of being a young doula is being able to have more energy.  I bounce back pretty quickly from births, which is nice.  If I had to build my own client base, the age thing might be more of a disadvantage, but I work with a very reputable and large doula group who gives me clients!  It's great.  Only one or two couples has asked my age, so I don't think it's a bit deal in comparison to personality matches and experience.

Do you have kids?  I have a toddler and I have to admit that I think that makes a difference in other people's eyes--to know that I am also entrenched in the world of motherhood.  Not that I'm suggesting that you go out and have kids to improve business or anything; I believe that doulas without kids can be just as excellent!  It's just an interesting thing...I think people assume I'm older because I have a son.

Anyway, glad that you're doing this great work too!  Do you enjoy doulaing?

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hello!

That's great that you are a birth and postpartum doula! I agree about the energy thing, I did a birth Tuesday the 30th and felt back to normal by Thursday. (It was #25! :) I do have to build my own client base, and age definitely is a disadvantage. EVERYONE asks me how old I am, but thankfully when I ask them how old they think I am it's usually 3-9 years older than I am (I'm happy they don't think I'm immature!). That being said, I do think I have lost potential clients because of my age. 

The other reason I sometimes lose potential clients is because I'm not a mother. If that picture is of your little boy, he is adorable! :) And while there is a huge advantage in that by having gone through birth and being able to talk from that experience, I find there's an advantage in not having children yet as well, the main one being that my time is my own. I don't have a child I'm looking after 24/7 who takes up the majority of my time and that allows me to be more focused on my work as a doula. Although when that day comes, I won't be complaining! :) I think being a mother and wife is the most important roles we can play as women, and when my time comes it will be wonderful! :)

I LOVE being a doula! To me, it's the most wonderful thing in the world to get to share in the intimate, powerful, experience of childbirth with a woman and her family. To get to raise her up and help her during birth and build that foundation of confidence for motherhood makes such a difference in women's lives, and I feel humbled and in awe that I am able to get to play a role in it.

Any others out there? And feel free to keep the thread moving! :)

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM

I am 23 and a student doula as well as lactation consultant. I find that most concerns about my age go away when people find out I'm still nursing my three year old. =P I haven't attended births as a primary doula yet, mostly just done postpartum work, and people seem to be more open to that. I think that women who are older than me find it hard to trust me as a support person- they want someone who seems older and more experienced or around their own age. BUT there are a ton of young moms around me who love having someone their age who they can message on Facebook when they have a quick question. So it's a trade off, and I figure it'll only get better as I get older.

~Rose

Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 PM

When I was a senior in high school I followed a nurse-midwife and helped with a few births at my local hospital.  I knew birth work was for me.  I trained to be a doula a month before I turned 19.  I am now 24 and have attended 25 births.  I've worked for a volunteer program the past five years, taking some private clients here and there.

My experience has been that no one has really cared what my age is.  Clients can tell if you are a caring person, knowledgeable and are passionate about what you do. 

Benefits:  I have no kids of my own yet so I can leave at a moment's notice without trying to find a babysitter.  Waking up at 4 am by being called isn't a struggle for me.  I also have plenty of time to spend with clients since I have understanding college professors and flexible hours with my part-time job.

I can't really think of any drawbacks...  I really feel blessed to have this much experience with birth at my age.  I learn something new at each birth.  It's still exciting and wonderful each time. 

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Hi ladies, 

I'm also a young doula, I'm 20 and I have only been a doula for about 6 months. So far no one has seemed to have any concerns about my age, especially as I gain more experience. I like being a doula so young because I'm excited to have found something I really really love so early on. Most people I know still have no idea what they want to do with their lives, which is totally fine, but it's nice to have something we're so passionate about. I feel like I gives me more of a chance to plan out my career/life knowing that I <3 birth. :)

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM

I was 18 when I was invited to a homebirth to keep an eye on a toddler while mom labored and was immediately a birth addict. I started attending births as a volunteer doula up until I had a miscarriage. It has taken me almost 3 years to get back into it but I am soooo happy to be back. I'm almost 24 now and finally finishing up my certification. I think early on, I did lose clients due to my age, but that seems to be much less of a problem this time around. I'm also a nursing student (I graduate in 10 months!!!) which seems to comfort people for some odd reason. I went to a birth last Monday and still feel like I'm on a high from it!

I also don't have any children but I haven't found that to be an issue yet. So far, this time around, my only issue is coming on too strong just because I am so super passionate about it.

I just had an awesome opportunity fall in my lap to basically partner with a local homebirth midwife this November and December with all or most of her clients, establishing a relationship with me just in case she has to send a backup midwife since the one who had been working with her practice quit unexpectedly. I am super excited about all the doors that will open up.

And with any luck after I graduate, I'll be able to use this doula experience to get into Frontier School of Midwifery and 4 years from now, I'll be serving pregnant women on a whole new level!

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I'm 17 and have wanted to be a birth worker for about a year now. Ever since my niece was born and I started reading stuff along with my sister, and I also helped her through part of her labor. (I wasn't there for the birth though.) I eventually want to be a midwife and open a birth center, but for now I'm going to focus on becoming a doula. I'm going to start training in a few months hopefully, and I think I'm going to go through CBI.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a future midwife who wants to start a birth center too! :) I'm loving what everyone has to say! I feel like theres a little bit of my own story in each post here.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Awesome! I really want to open a center that's not just a birth center, but I also want to do regular gyn stuff AND most importantly have a few classrooms and make it like a community center focused on women's health. So i'd offer stuff like CBE, prenatal yoga, mom & baby yoga, sex ed classes, that kind of thing. Maybe some mom groups or something too. or like a meet the midwives night. I have a lot of ideas for it :) so excited! I just can't believe it's going to be almost 10 years before i'm even a midwife!! (4 for bachelors, 3 for grad school, possibly a couple off for having kids myself and taking time off...) (this is a really unorganized rambly post but its 3am and i should really be asleepp...!)

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Hi Ladies! I'm new to the forums, but wanted to say hi. I trained as a doula this spring, and am loving every minute of it. I'm just starting to get clients, and will have my first (pro) birth next month! I'm 25, I'm a stepmom to a 7 year old girl, 2 1/2 yr old son, and just found out I'm expecting #3 :) So excited, for my own personal journey with this baby and my family, to do things "right", since I've educated myself so much more than I was prior to the birth of my son. So happy to meet you all, and can't wait to trade birth stories!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I was 17 when I went to my doula training and have a small practice now at 18. I also do placenta encapsulation and am going to be starting offering preconception doula care very soon. I am a student midwife as well, and I also hope to open my own birth/wellness/spa center someday!

I think age/children can be an issue to some, but they just aren't the clients for me. I refer out everyone who may have an issue with it or is uncomfortable to my doula friend who is 23 and has two children. Most see that I am light years beyond my peers as far as where I'm at in life, so that helps.

Some people have more of an issue with me having no children. But I like to explain that no experiences of my own helps me serve them better IMO since I am not bringing my own fears/memories into the situation.

So cool to know so many others find their interest in birth work young!

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow! It is so exciting to see all the young doulas out there! Everyone's ideas for a birth center sound SO AMAZING! I would love to open one as well. Maybe someday there will be more birth center's than L&Ds in hospitals! 

I am 23 and am about halfway done with my Birth Doula Certification through CBI. I will also be completing my certification for a breastfeeding counselor hopefully in 2012. Life is busy when you are a full time mom!

I attended my last birth about a week ago but it was a cesarian and even though I wasn't able to see a vaginal birth it was most definitely a learning experience. I can't wait to attend more births and hopefully pursue some postpartum work as well. I have thought about volunteering with a local breastfeeding clinic as well.I recently met with a local experienced doula and apprentice-midwife and she is teaching me so much, and hopefully she can continue to be my mentor. 

I used to be a little self-conscious about my age but if they don't want to hire you because of your age than you surely don't want to work with them! 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Much love to the young doulas out there!  

I had my first baby at 21 and started attending births within the year.  I soon began apprenticing with a home birth midwife and teaching childbirth education classes.  As a midwife I helped start two freestanding birth centers in my state.  2 years ago, after attending hundreds of births, I retired to spend more time with my kids and pursue other dreams.  Also, by 15 years in the biz, two kids of my own,  and at age 36, these bones were feeling it!

Keep on, keeping on, lovely young women!  You mean so much to the families you help. 

I leave you with one bit of advice to remember - "It's not my birth" (repeat as needed)  ;)

Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM

I consider myself a young doula.

I am 23 years old and began my training as a doula when I was 21.  I didn't find it a challenge to get births at all being young!  I currently have at least one birth a month until February and have 2-3 some months.  I have two children - a 2.5yr old and an 11m old.  I'm a nursing student on my way to becoming a certified nurse-midwife.

I have a blog following my journey here - http://midwifeology.blogspot.com/ - if anyone wants to follow!!  If any of you blog, I'd love to follow along!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm 24 and just attended doula training last month. I'm finding it really hard to get certifying births, and part of the reason I put off doula training for two years since I first became interested in the field was because I don't have any children and I am young so I was afraid it would be more difficult for me to find clients.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM

I trained at 19 (I'm 30 now) and I thought it was much easier being young and not having childcare concerns, and not needing the steady income/benefits of a "regular" job as much since I was young and just starting out.  I never lost a client over my age.  And yes, the lots of energy and the ability to be able to sleep it off without being responsible for a child was fantastic!  Also, it was just nice not to have to watch the clock at all-- if we misjudged her birth and it took days/weeks of my time, oh well, it just balanced out the quick births. 

Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm currently still in my birth doula training, I'm 20. I find it to be a bit of a challenge with two kids, but I think it's easier for me to do it all now, then to do it when I'm older.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

At BAI we have a quite a few teen doulas, a lot are homeschooled.

I think more young women should be involved:) Peer providers are really important, and it is also important to have diversity in the field.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM

I did my doula training when I was 22.  It took me awhile to really get off the ground with it because I was finishing my degree, but I'm 26 now and I've attended over 50 births.  I've done a lot of volunteer work with younger moms, and I feel like it was much easier for me to connect with them, and for them to trust me because we were so close in age.  Occasionally I meet clients who ask me if I have children yet, and when I say no they end up not hiring me, but for the most part my age hasn't been a problem at all!  

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM

I've been a doula since I was 21, I'm 24 now. No children. Love it.

My career is flourishing as we speak. I don't think age has ever been an issue. People rarely ask, and if they do it is at a quiet slow birth and are shocked I'm not older. smile.gif

Ease exhaust any typos, set from my itouch.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM

I am currently 21 but I did my doula training at age 17. I attended 30 births over 3 years and then took off time to have a baby. I am about to begin doula-ing again, my first client is due in November---SO excited! I think it will also be interesting to be at a birth having given birth myself now. That being said, I never lost any clients due to age or childlessness (as far as I know). 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM

I'm 26, I've been a doula for two years.  I don't think I've lost any clients because of my age, or because I don't have any children yet.  I look older than I am, though, and I have a "matronly figure", lol. 

When I was first starting out, I talked to another doula who was 19 and had attended 40 births.(Hi, Kate!)  I asked her if she ever felt like not having children was a problem for her; she said, "Not at all, actually I think it's a blessing in some ways; because I don't have children I feel like I'm more sympathetic to my clients sometimes.  Some doulas might be like, "Oh, come on, I did this, you can do this too!" and be sort of rough on their mamas, but I approach each birth with fresh eyes."

Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM

I'm 22 and I have just started studying with CBI. I'm a little nervous that people wont take me seriously if they know my age, but I do have 2 kids so hopefully that helps! I've also experienced an epidural birth and a natural birth so I feel like I have some decent experience to work from.

Mama to DS (9/4/09) babyboy.gif and DD (1/10/11) slinggirl.gif, Wife to my best friend since 11/22/08 partners.gif

Jesus loving, natural living aspiring, cloth diaper addict, student doula and CBE, future CNM! hippie.gif

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM

So glad I found this thread! I've been passionate about birth for a long time now and have recently been considering training as a doula, but I've been a little concerned that my age (25) would be a disadvantage. I'm so glad to hear that's not the case for most of you.

For those of you young doulas who are also mamas, how do you do it in terms of childcare?! I have a 15 month old son and we'll be trying for #2 sometime next year, so I've pretty much accepted the fact that I won't be able to pursue birth work until my little ones are older. But I would love to hear from other mamas of youngins about their experiences training/working as doulas.

Wonderful to discover all the young doulas here....I think it's great that women of all ages are involved in the powerful world of birth work.

~may all beings be free from suffering~
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 AM

I got my first doula training when I was 23 - took a few years off to start my family and have been a doula consistantly for about 5 years now.  I'm one of the older ones compared to a lot of you - but I was by far the youngest in the training I did...and single at the time.  I was mostly worried that people wouldn't accept me as a professional because of being so young and NOT having given birth myself.  BUT - I've never had that issue after all.  I commend all you younger doulas, so exciting to see that there are sooooo many of you!!! 

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 AM

I didn't have family near by supporting me - so I had to wait til my youngest was about 5.  BUT, if you have any family near or a good friend that can step in short notice, that seems to be the best situation.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

gitanamama: I checked out your blog, it is awesome what you are doing! I dream of traveling with my son and fiance. We talk about it all the time but just can't seem to get past how we could afford it? I suppose most people struggle with that.

My son is 14 months, and I have only attended 2 births so far but my MIL has a job where she can make her own schedule if she needs to. I completely rely on her to watch him, and of course my fiance when he isn't working. I too, would like to have another child in the near future so I often wonder what's in the cards for me as far as birth work goes. I consider it more of a hobby and less as a career. I don't advertise tons or as much as I should, mostly because I love attending births but with a 1 year old and having a part time job once or twice a week, it doesn't leave me tons of room. I think it will definatley pick up more when my children are older, but I think it is doable when you children are younger, Also, I waited until my son is a year to attend at birth mostly because he doesn't nurse as much as a 6 month old, etc. Sorry for the lengthy answer. 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

I started when I was 19 smile.gif I'll be 29 next month though

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM

I'm 18 and just started my doula training through CBI :) I've yet to attend any births but I can assume that being such a young age can play a factor in clients questioning your competence as a doula primarily due to 'lack' of experience surrounding birth. I'm already a mother and have a son who is nearly a year old, his birth I accredit for my passion for natural childbirth. I'd like to think that potential clients would look past my age as a defining reason for why or why not they would have me as their doula, but who knows.

Tags
Doulas
User Tag List