When do you arrive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At an induction? This is my first hospital client/birth in a few years. I've been doing birth center & home births only. As sad as I am to say it looks like she'll be induced tomorrow, I can't complain too much. This momma has done and tried everything. And she is 42weeks tomorrow. I am thrilled the OB allowed her to go this long! The OB is aware and so far supportive of the momma's wish for a natural labor and delivery. She said she'd start with Cervidil and go from there. Yes I am very aware it is an intervention just like any other, but I'm keeping hope.  

So nerves aside, when do you head to support a momma who is being induced? She is supposed to 'check-in' around 7. I know the first hour or more will be filled with all the official paper work, getting into a room, her hep lock in, etc? Any suggestions? And since I haven't been to a hospital birth in years -- any words of wisdom there :oP TIA

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

#2 of 9 Old 07-04-2011, 09:16 PM

For me it really depends on the family, what is going on, do they want me there?  Some families I will meet there and stay for awhile and see how things go and then leave but stay close.  Others I will stay the entire time and still others I will come later when they call.  

I think this situation is just as individual as any other birth.  Not all families want you to come with the first few contractions while others are calling you the second they have had one.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#3 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

With people who are very emotional and fearful of the procedure, I will be there the whole time. With those who feel comfortable starting the process on their own, I will usually keep in phone contact and tell them that if they ever feel uncomfortable before pitocin is administered, then they can call me over. If they don't call me before then, I will arrive about an hour or half hour before pitocin is scheduled to be administered.

#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

I deal with inductions on an individual basis - just like I do with all my clients. I leave the decision up to them as to when I arrive. Some moms want me there from the beginning for peace of mind and to help with any questions that may arise during the admission process. Some moms wait until they start feeling the contractions. The best thing you can do is ask the family what they prefer.

Happy delivery! :)

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 PM

I usually offer to meet them there when they check in, so that I can help answer any questions, make sure the mom is comfortable, and that the birth preferences get reviewed with the nurses.

Then I'll go home for a few hours, while the Cervadil does its thing.  I used to set a prearranged time I would come back unless I heard otherwise, but that seemed to make the family feel that they were bothering me if they called sooner. 

Birth Doula in Los Angeles

www.gentledoula.com

#6 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Depending on the type of induction. If cervical jel or a foley we often stay in touch on the phone and/or I pop in. Staying close and clearing my schedule for the call.

If pit, I like to be there at time of administration, to be emotional support but also to use acupressure to help her along. Something mice about touch in that "sitting duck" phase waiting for something to happen. Get into a good groove as the birth partner as thing can pick up fast and she may loose control if not anchored.

Of course, if they don't want me there I will stay close until I get the call. But that has never happened.

Ease exhaust any typos, set from my itouch.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#7 of 9 Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme77 View Post

At an induction? This is my first hospital client/birth in a few years. I've been doing birth center & home births only. As sad as I am to say it looks like she'll be induced tomorrow, I can't complain too much. This momma has done and tried everything. And she is 42weeks tomorrow. I am thrilled the OB allowed her to go this long! The OB is aware and so far supportive of the momma's wish for a natural labor and delivery. She said she'd start with Cervidil and go from there. Yes I am very aware it is an intervention just like any other, but I'm keeping hope.  

So nerves aside, when do you head to support a momma who is being induced? She is supposed to 'check-in' around 7. I know the first hour or more will be filled with all the official paper work, getting into a room, her hep lock in, etc? Any suggestions? And since I haven't been to a hospital birth in years -- any words of wisdom there :oP TIA

How'd the birth go?

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#8 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprek View Post

I deal with inductions on an individual basis - just like I do with all my clients. I leave the decision up to them as to when I arrive. Some moms want me there from the beginning for peace of mind and to help with any questions that may arise during the admission process. Some moms wait until they start feeling the contractions. The best thing you can do is ask the family what they prefer.

Happy delivery! :)

That - what she said...because I want my moms to feel really confident and able - and it only takes a few moments alone with a negative nurse to really put a mom in a tailspin.  I had to learn that the hard way...and the mom was only at the hospital about 30 min. before I arrived...but it was plenty of time to turn her into a helpless woman who could not do it.  I wasn't able to get her back to a good place and she was having a cesarean before I knew what hit.  Granted that was a very extreme situation, but I still err on the side of caution now.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#9 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 AM

Sorry, don't know why it put my statement with the above quote...:)

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page