Doula Question / advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi There,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my question.

I've interviewed a doula who I feel like I really clicked with, she seems perfect! However, my only aprehension is that she told me she has another client due a week before me, and since the other client hired her first, that if I were in labor, and the other woman went into labor after me, she would call in her back up for me, and have her transition in so my doula could go to the other laboring woman. I was under the impression that whoever calls first would have priority with doulas, but I'm not sure. She only takes two clients a month, and said she has never had to call a back up.  Other than this, I really like her and feel excited to work with her, I know its probably totally unlikely that we would be in labor at the same time, I just feel a little nervous about the possibility. What do you think?

#2 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM

If you really like her, I would go ahead and hire her.  Even if you find another doula you like, it is probable she will take on more than 2 births a month, in which case you have a higher chance of ending up with a back-up.  Like you said it is highly unlikely.

We have a month-long window for what is considered "normal", that is 720hrs of potential labor time... if she spends an average of 15hrs per woman and your dates are a week apart that is literally hundreds and hundreds of hours for you to have your baby with your doula all to yourself :)  Happy birthing!

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#3 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM

If she is anything like me, she did not just pick a random doula to be her back-up. Momma's feelings are top priority to us doulas! Ask if you can meet with the back-up ahead of time. Hopefully you will find that she is very similar to your doula!

Happy birthing, and congratulations!!

Loving being an modifiedartist.gif artist, photosmile2.gifphotographer, and read.gifbookworm.

lady.gif Last time I used shampoo: March 13, 2012. Go No 'Poo!

treehugger.gifCrunchy momma in training neg.gif Still waiting for my BFP.

angel.gif RIP to my brother, who went to be with God after battling sarcoma 5/26/87-11/1/07

computergeek2.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM

I suggest meeting get backup. If you really dislike the backup that will tell you whether our nit you need to reevaluate.

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page