Fellow doulas, I need your help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Attention doulas: I have a question. I was reading an article and someone was asking whether or not doulas can accept insurance. The response said that some insurance companies will reimburse the parents and the doula will be able to provide you with the forms necessary for you to fill out and turn in for insurance. I have never seen a form like this, and I don't want a potential client to ask me about it if I do not know. Do ANY of you know what forms they are talking about??

Loving being an modifiedartist.gif artist, photosmile2.gifphotographer, and read.gifbookworm.

lady.gif Last time I used shampoo: March 13, 2012. Go No 'Poo!

treehugger.gifCrunchy momma in training neg.gif Still waiting for my BFP.

angel.gif RIP to my brother, who went to be with God after battling sarcoma 5/26/87-11/1/07

computergeek2.gif

#2 of 11 Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Yes! I'm a member of DONA (but chose not to certify through any organization) and they recently had an article about it. I can try to look it up later if you can't find it. I don't remember all the qualifications a doula had to meet but at a minimum I assume you have to be certified and have a tax id #...so I didn't read much because I wouldn't qualify.

#3 of 11 Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am certified, but not through DONA. I don't know about having a tax id #. I will look into it.

Loving being an modifiedartist.gif artist, photosmile2.gifphotographer, and read.gifbookworm.

lady.gif Last time I used shampoo: March 13, 2012. Go No 'Poo!

treehugger.gifCrunchy momma in training neg.gif Still waiting for my BFP.

angel.gif RIP to my brother, who went to be with God after battling sarcoma 5/26/87-11/1/07

computergeek2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM

You dont need a Tax ID number - some doulas have one - those who do, should use it.

you need your Soc Sec # and an NPI number :

Applying for NPI number

Applying for your own NPI number is simple and will only take you a few minutes online if you follow these instructions.

1. Log on to the National Plan & Provider Enumeration System website at https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/StaticForward.do?forward=static.instructions
  2. Read over the required information and follow the links for applying for an NPI number
  3. Complete the online application
  4. Wait a few minutes, and an email will come to you with your very own NPI number

taxonomy code is 374J00000X and is called Doula under the heading of Nursing Service Related Providers Type.

its important to tell your clients that you need to be PAID up front...and that they can take your invoice (with your soc sec# and NPI # on it...hours worked, etc...)  and they can ask their insurance companies for reimbursement.

Most ins companies wont reimburse the full amount - but around here many have received about 2/3 of the cost.  good luck!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 11 Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Yes you can. The organization you are certifying through can assist you with the types of information you need.

I run Birth Arts International and many of our students do this.

ian'smommaya likes this.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#6 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

This article covers pretty much everything you need to know: http://childbirthtoday.blogspot.com/2010/08/unraveling-3rd-party-reimbursement-for.html. The only thing I would add to that is be sure that the itemized invoice you provide includes the client's name, address, date of birth, insurance identification# and group #'. The diagnosis code needs to be an ICD-9 code - this page has some coding info: http://www.icd9data.com/2012/Volume1/V01-V91/V20-V29/V22/default.htm, but V22.0 (normal first pregnancy) & V22.1 (supervision of other normal pregnancy) will be most common. 

#7 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM

I am in training for the Postpartum Doula, Is there a form for this service also. thanks

#8 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 PM

I am also wondering if there are codes for postpartum doulas?  

Wife to my tree-hugging, hippy freak man. treehugger.gif  Mama to DS (1998), DD (2003), DS (2005), DS (2011)

#5 on the way  2ndtri.gif 

#9 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM

For post partum doulas : 

NPI # 1801175542

Taxonomy Code:

374J00000X

ICD code:  ICD-V24.0

CPT code ;  59430

I use my soc sec #  because i never got a Tax ID #

i think the DONA website has more info on it as well - its a great idea if our clients can get reimbursed - i think they are that much more willing to spend the $ in the first place!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

#10 of 11 Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Hello!

I am a mama who is appealing my insurance company to pay for my doula. I've gotten a letter back asking for a federal tax ID which she doesn't have. I am apprehensive to ask her for her SSN. Have you had any luck with just the NPI? If you provide a SSN, does that impact taxes? I'm not sure if my doula is claiming her doula work as income and I don't want to get into asking her personal questions.

Thank you!

Lisa

#11 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslisa2u View Post

Hello!

I am a mama who is appealing my insurance company to pay for my doula. I've gotten a letter back asking for a federal tax ID which she doesn't have. I am apprehensive to ask her for her SSN. Have you had any luck with just the NPI? If you provide a SSN, does that impact taxes? I'm not sure if my doula is claiming her doula work as income and I don't want to get into asking her personal questions.

Thank you!

Lisa

If she doesnt have a Tax ID then yes, she needs to provide her SS #  - i know this is a sticky situation.... im sure there are TONS of doulas out there who just dont declare the income ...one thing to remember  is - just because she shared her SS number....doesnt mean there is ANYONE at the IRS waiting patiently for her to file her taxes so they can match up the income to the SS number....most doulas make SO MUCH LESS than any IRS radar to be tipped off!!!!!     The IRS has had cutbacks too and it behooves them to go after people /companies hiding thousands of dollars - not a doula who earned an extra $8000 last year and now owes $350 in taxes.....

Tags
Doula , Doula Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page