Anyone work as a staff doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ask, because I'm hoping to get a position at my local hospital as a staff doula. I would be PRN, but likely commit to two 12-hr shift a week (either on-call or supporting labor/birth). I already work in the Mother & Baby unit there, so I am familiar with a lot of the hospital protocol, nurses, midwives, and docs.

Just wondering if anyone has a gig like this? I know the doulas we have there often provid support for moms they have never met, though there are also some families that know ahead of time that they want a doula and have met them before labor - but as a PRN position, many will be last minute calls. Is just different than forming a relationship prior to the baby being on the way. Still, there are many positives, of course. Just curious if any doulas here have done this type of work before. Thanks!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#2 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM

I have done this in the past and I really enjoyed it. Many of the women were so appreciative and overall it was fun and fulfilling.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#3 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I don't know of any hospitals in my area that do this on a paid basis.  There are some volunteer programs.  Where are you/where do you know that they have these programs?  It sounds like it could be a very good situation.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM

We have an OB here in town that employs a doula for his practice. I feel that it creats a conflict of interest and dont agree with it. A doula should be working for the parents and supporting their wishes even if they are not in compliance with hospital protocol. This is really hard to do if you are employed by the hospital. You tend to lean in the direction of the paycheck. That said, maybe it works in your area. It would not work in mine.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#5 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM

I did this for almost four years and I really enjoyed it. it takes a while to get used to the different feel of staff working--but it has it's perks. The OBs/Nurses etc get to know you/trust you in a different way. You also have more privileges than if you're own your own typically.

If you have pre conceived notions about the type of clientele you want, then it's not a great spot. You will get whoever comes along and you have to learn to adapt to meet people where they are, even if you're polar opposite.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your posts, all! My hospital has way more midwives than OB's attending births (this is Rio Rancho, NM), so that's a plus as far as birth environment. It's a "family birthing center" within the hospital, with tubs and such.

Anyhow, I actually just got a different full-time job, so unfortunately I'll have to pass on the staff doula position (though I will still be at that hospital in mother and baby very part-time on weekends, so I will stay in touch with the doulas there for the future).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page