Rain City Doula-- new in Seattle! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a Bastyr-trained birth doula starting to build a practice in Seattle and it is thrilling! I'm not sure the extent to which this is done here, but if anyone wants to do some networking, refer clients, talk about doing some back-up work, please feel free to talk to me!

Cheers,

Amelia

This is my spiel: 

There is nothing about laboring and birth that I am not in awe of, or that I don't find beauty in.

I work to empower women through respect & advocacy with the goal of creating safe & comfortable birth environments and providing active physical, emotional & psychological support for women throughout labor. I believe the best way to ensure a fulfilling and transformative birth is to bolster the knowledge base of parents, promoting (and utilizing) effective communication & collaboration with medical care practitioners and encouraging a great understanding of labor before the birth. I also provide support during the postpartum period, including feeding, sleeping, and healing help.

In our culture birth is frequently misunderstood and misrepresented; women are often unprepared for the process of labor and decide not to experience it simply out of fear. Some are thereby robbed of a truly unique, wonderful biologically crafted experience because of this fear, and that is very distressing.

I will protect *any* kind of birth chosen by any kind of woman, in a hospital, at home, or at a birth center; unmedicated, cesarean section, or any variation thereupon. I am the guardian of a woman's *choice*, her counsel and her advocate.
I am currently working toward my DONA birth doula certification; I took my Birth Doula Skills course at Bastyr's Simkin Center.

"Studies show that doulas are astonishingly effective at lowering risk.... the limited choices that American women have for bringing their baby into the world, what women are not told about dangers of intervening in birth, and the misuse of science to support the new technologies of birth actually constitutes an ethical problem, although we typically do not recognize it as one.... What kind of 'choice' is that?" 
(http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/the-most-scientific-birth-is-often-the-least-technological-birth/254420/1/)

rainbow1284.gif Rain City Doula placenta.gif

http://www.facebook.com/RainCityDoula

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page