How important is it to attend a training workshop in your own community? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have the opportunity to attend a workshop where I currently live (in TX) or where my parents live (out of state). The one out of state is actually more convenient for several reasons: 1. I'll already be there visiting my parents during the workshop dates 2. my mother will be able to watch my kids for me and it is with the organization I'd prefer. 3. it is sooner!

However, I was wondering if I'd be really missing out on networking opportunities with local people by going out of state. I'm new to the area as it is (just moved 2 months ago), and so I don't know anyone here. Maybe a good opportunity to meet people??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's a great way to connect with people who are at a similar place with their birth studies/business, but it really depends. I personally would go with the organization I prefer over location. You can always send out an email to other doulas in your home area and meet up with them that way. Midwives/childbirth educators in your home community can also be a valuable resource to get to know.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just did my workshop last weekend, and it was 3 hours away. The closest one by far. So I don't really feel that I will have a close network of people here, but being around all those women who feel the same as I do was great!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!

Tags
Doula Training

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page