Which Doula program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to train as a doula but can't decide which program, DONA, CAPPA or BAI. Any suggestions?  Most practicing doulas in my area are DONA.  Do moms ask about your certification?  Have they shown a preference?  Are there any major differences in the program?

NAK Anyone practicing with an infant at home?

TIA!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing smile.gif

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd recommend BirthWorks. I went through their childbirth educator program after doing DONA's doula training and I wish that I had just used BirthWorks for both.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM

i would look into what is important for you as a doula. what are your feelings about birth and what kind of doula do you wnat to be? what kind of education do you want?

then compare the three of them remove the pricing, if other doula's/birth assistants in your area are d.o.n.a, b.i.a or cappa then compare them

also is there a specific person who trains who you admire (here a woman, gail tully does dona training and is also a well respected midwife, i think that draws people to her.) also consider which one you feel GREAT about.

then add the cost into the equation then make you decision.

there is a chart on childbirth international site that might help (grain of salt as to the source.) www.childbirthinternatioal.com/birth_doula/compare/usa.htm

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM

oh! and i've never been asked about certification. but i work for the parents, A LOT of hospitals want specific certification and work with certain certifying bodies, you might want to look into that if you are going to work for a birth center, a hospital or as an independent contractor. check into if bia, cappa or done are better liked, more respected, which ever in your area hospitals and birth centers.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!

Tags
Doula Programs , Doula Training
User Tag List