bringing a baby to doula training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due in early September and there is a Postpartum Doula workshop in my area in early October. There are hardly any postpartum workshops offered near me and they don't have anything posted yet schedule wise past December, so I don't know how long I would have to wait for another one. I emailed the trainer, but does anyone know how accommodating they might be to this? Baby will be min 2 weeks old and max 4-5 weeks old.. I think if I wear baby in my moby and nurse frequently no one will even know there IS a baby there!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#2 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

And as a followup question: I had assumed that DONA was the only certifing agency, but I just found out about MaternityWise... and I'm sure there are more.. are there huge differences between the agencies? MaternityWise has a distance training online program, it seems.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

No idea about your first question, but the second one...

Childbirth International has a program that is all long-distance - http://www.childbirthinternational.com/pp_doula/main.htm, the only thing you have to do is support two women for a total of 20 hours and that can be on your own schedule when baby is ready.

Here is their comparison chart of the different programs http://www.childbirthinternational.com/pp_doula/compare/usa.htm

#4 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

There are LOTS of certifying organizations, so do your research and decide which fits your ideal practice. :)

There were infants at my DONA birth doula training, and it was perfectly fine. Many trainers understand nurslings need to come along, and are open to the idea. Sometimes there might be a "non-mobile only" clause to that, but you won't have to worry about that part. :)

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

The lady who I contacted at DONA said that babies under 4 months are welcome to attend the workshops. Now I just have to pick what group to certify with!

#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

No idea about your first question, but the second one...

Here is their comparison chart of the different programs http://www.childbirthinternational.com/pp_doula/compare/usa.htm
This is a fantastic chart- thanks!

#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM

I became a Lactation educator through CAPPA 3 years ago and my trainer brought her nursling!   If you think you'll be up to it at 2 weeks PP - im sure it wont be a big deal...i mean, considering what we do and all!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Tags
Doula Training

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page