Placenta encapsulation question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello hello!!!! I have a quick question for those of you who encapsulate placentas. I have done quite a few, but I've had a few issues with this one. I prepared it according to TCM techniques (steam then dehydrate in oven). I dehydrated it at 170 degrees for approx 5 hours. I was so tired (doing it at night while my kids slept) at this point, I put the dried placenta directly from the oven into a sealed container in the fridge. I notice that some condensation is on the inside of the container that the dried placenta is in. I have not encapsulated it yet (well, I did 20 pills and gave them to the mom-a friend of mine, while I looked up this issue). Will the moisture in the container be a problem? What do I do? Do I put it in the oven again? I'm just concerned about bacteria etc. I have never had this happen before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!!!!

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It would make sense to me that you could just put it back in the oven to dry out again (obviously not for 5 hours, just until it's brittle with no moisture ...20 mins?)

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Back in the oven for me, but more to just dry it out rather than bacterial reasons. If the container was clean, it's more than fine. It's just harder to work with when there's any sort of moisture left over.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!! I really struggled with this!! I did encapsulate it then I placed it in the freezer-that way it won't grow bacteria and the mom can just consume it from there. Thanks for the advice:):)

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#5 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM

Yep, definitely back into the oven or can be used straight from the freezer.

Mama, wife, labour doula and HALO labour doula instructor, fertility and maternity reflexologist, certified dancing for birth class instructor, placenta encapsulator and placenta encapsulation trainer, owner of By the Moon.

Happy hippy mama

Tags
Doula

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page