Blogs/resources for postpartum meal prep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering what kinds of resources you give to expecting families to prepare meals ahead of time.  Any information is helpful, recipes, blogs, websites, etc...

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM

This is a great question and so important. I've found that what works best for my friends is to ask someone to coordinate meals for you and your family for two weeks after the new baby comes. There are lots on Evite sites where people can sign up and someone can track what meals are coming and let you know or you can check it.

You can ask for a gift certificate to Whole Foods or a store where you can get easy take home meals as a shower gift. 

You can freeze food ahead. Here's a long thread with ideas on freezing food ahead.

Make a list of easy to make meals and a shopping list that goes with the meals to have on hand already right after the baby. And, easy snacks because you'll want to eat and drink frequently.

Here's mealbaby, a meal registry.

And, mealTrain a meal calendar for new parents, etc.

Best to you!

#3 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

http://takethemameal.com/

Here is another website to coordinate meals.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Lots of people will say, "if there's anything you need, just let me know"...and it's really important to take them up on the offer to help, as hard as it can be.  Practice this response:  "Thank you so much for offering - I really could use a hand.  Maybe you could bring dinner some day and come meet the baby?"  People don't offer to help unless they're sincere, and they'll be delighted to spend some time with the baby too.

Best make ahead freezer cookbooks:  

Don't Panic Freezer's in the Freezer

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Dinners-Freezer-Great-Tasting/dp/0800730550

and the second edition Don't Panic More Dinner's in the Freezer, with slightly more healthy and interesting recipes:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0800733177/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0800730550&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10A10ZRQP5R60NNPM794

And don't let your helpful friends/family cook from your made-ahead freezer stash...save this for the rough days once the help dwindles after a month or so!

Also suggest you can cook brown rice, beans etc ahead of time and freeze.  As simple as they are to cook normally, it's much easier to just pull out of the freezer and microwave than to remember to set the rice cooker ahead of time or soak beans overnight.

Also I found I much preferred my family to bring takeout or a ready made meal rather than have them try to cook in my kitchen.  Took too much management from us pointing out where things were.

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page