Anyone not certified? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went through the DONA certification process and my time period to finish ran out( I had major surgery, got married, had a baby and didn't finish my required amount of births). My midwife told me I could still be a doula and not be certified. My question is, does anyone do this? I am hoping to go onto be a Midwife once I can get into a program, but would really like to start off as a Doula first. I'm planning on networking and putting myself out there as a volunteer at first until I gain a little more experience.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#2 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I think lots of doulas are not certified.  I know someone who worked 10 years as a doula before getting certified.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM

I'm not certified because I didn't agree with some of DONAs policies but took their training before I realized all of their policies.

MandiTheDoula likes this.
#4 of 20 Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Lots of very good, reputable doulas in my area (SF Bay) are not certified. I think experience and references/reviews are more important than certification.
#5 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Most of the doulas in my area are not certified and they get a lot of clients!  I have no plans to get certified (trained through DONA) because I don't agree with some of their policies. 

#6 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoDVPB View Post

Most of the doulas in my area are not certified and they get a lot of clients!  I have no plans to get certified (trained through DONA) because I don't agree with some of their policies. 

"mmm this is definitely making me re think going through the certification process! What don't you agree about with DONA's policies because I was planning on getting certified through them.

Mama to a hunky little dude, Wife to my best friend, Doula in training, Full-time free-spirit and christian. OBSESSED with babies and birth lady.gif treehugger.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif slingboy.gif

#7 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post

I'm not certified because I didn't agree with some of DONAs policies but took their training before I realized all of their policies.

yeahthat.gif

I decided I don't like being limited in how I can practice. One of the big things for me was the use of essential oils. DONA does not allow this as far as I know, so I felt really torn between doing something I know helps for my clients and abiding by their rules. After thinking more about what DONA had to offer versus what I could do on my own, I decided not to finish the cert process and feel "tied down."

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#8 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did end up getting DONA certified and I don't think that I was a better doula than when I was uncertified. I did it because I had started the process and I thought it might help with marketing.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 20 Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 AM

I need to start my own doula org and offer certifications. To me, the biggest benefit of certification is the money going to the founders taking the checks.

#10 of 20 Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM

So for those of you that are not certified, how did you go about it? I am wanting to become a doula and was looking at DONA, but if there is another option I would love to hear it.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#11 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Hippiemom, I am interested too. My plan so far is to gain a little experience and then start working. It would be nice to know how others did it though.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#12 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

So for those of you that are not certified, how did you go about it? I am wanting to become a doula and was looking at DONA, but if there is another option I would love to hear it.

I think DONA training (or other) is still helpful but you don't have to go on to certify. You can still do training births, you get to choose how many and set your own standards! You can still network with other doulas, you can still be a member of DONA or other organization to learn things. I do practice by the majority of DONA's standards but I don't want to be evaluated by hcps to be in good standing as a doula, I'm not working for them. I also don't want to be held do DONA's standards as far as essential oils or similar. I'm not going to do anything medical but if a mom wants to use oils, of her choosing, at her birth, I'm not going to say no because DONA says I can't. I'm also not willing to pay money for an organization to give me a stamp that says I'm official - DONA isn't doing anything for me beyond putting my name on their website and I can market way better for myself for much less money.

#13 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post

I think DONA training (or other) is still helpful but you don't have to go on to certify. You can still do training births, you get to choose how many and set your own standards! You can still network with other doulas, you can still be a member of DONA or other organization to learn things. I do practice by the majority of DONA's standards but I don't want to be evaluated by hcps to be in good standing as a doula, I'm not working for them. I also don't want to be held do DONA's standards as far as essential oils or similar. I'm not going to do anything medical but if a mom wants to use oils, of her choosing, at her birth, I'm not going to say no because DONA says I can't. I'm also not willing to pay money for an organization to give me a stamp that says I'm official - DONA isn't doing anything for me beyond putting my name on their website and I can market way better for myself for much less money.

So what do you put as your credentials? Is it just pbjmama- birth doula? What if someone asks you about your training and education, what do you say?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#14 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM

This thread is helpful: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1360874/question-from-a-doula-in-training#post_17085471

There are plenty of people out there who will welcome an inexperienced doula.  Maybe not the people who are interviewing 10 doulas and want to pay lot of money, but those clients will hire you after you have a few births under your belt.  Also, an inexperienced doula with children of her own has an advantage - it was not easy for me to get clients when I hadn't attended any births AND had never birthed a baby myself.  :)

Many other moms would love to hire a doula but cannot afford to hire one (or aren't willing to prioritize paying for one because they're not sure if having a doula is necessary).   A few of us posted some ideas for new doula advertising on the thread I pasted above.

Good luck!!

mamacatsbaby likes this.
#15 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Those of you asking how to become a doula without the certification - I contacted a local doula and we really hit it off, so she allowed me to shadow her. She also had her own CBE curriculum, so I learned TONS by attending her classes and going to some births with her. I also attended a DONA training, but honestly felt like i learned more "out in the field" versus in a classroom setting. If I had to do it again, I would have saved the money I spent on the DONA workshop and put it towards books or tools.

mamacatsbaby likes this.

#16 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM

As for what to put in credentials, I really don't think it's that important. At least not in my area. I just refer to myself as a birth doula, no credentials needed. When people ask about my training, I am open and honest with them. They seem to like that I've attended births with another doula for training purposes, so I have a better idea of what to expect.

#17 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM

I am currently a birth doula in training with DONA and I have met many doulas who are not certified and they told me its ok to do that until you are ready to be certified. I'm going to volunteer at Metro Health hospital that's here in Ohio and I joined so doula member groups so I can met doulas and get a better understanding of how this works. I have mentor who wants me to work with a lady who is having a home birth in December so I am very excited.
#18 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 AM

As read the different things about DONA. It's has its pro's and Con's but, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the work shop
#19 of 20 Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Location: Serving Jackson/Memphis, TN & Dyersburg, McKenzie, TN

There is also CAPPA - Childbirth And Postpartum Professionals Association - www.cappa.net   

They certify Labor Doulas, Childbirth Educators, Lactation Consultants, Postpartum Doulas, Teen Pregnancy Educators, and Pregnancy Fitness Counselors.  They are second in size only to DONA and they are International!

They have a great scope of practice that allows you to teach and use the skills that you already possess to reach your community's needs in the best possible way.  I'm finishing up my certification process and I really love this organization.  Check them out!  They accept dual certifications as well!

~Ginny Mills  (Mom to 3-ages  dd-5(DIVA), ds-8(ADHD), & dd-18(Asperger's)

Doula/Childbirth & Parenting Educator & B.A. in Psych w/ Early Childhood Ed/Marriage & Family Counseling

#20 of 20 Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I chose Birth Arts International for my doula training. I loved the workshop and the instructor. They have online options plus scholarships. Birtharts.com
No limits on scope of practice when certifying with them. I am not yet certified because I am busy with midwifery school. :-)

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif

Tags
Doula Training , Doula Students , Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page