age of doula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How old were you when you started being a Doula? I'm afraid if I start too young, I might not get hired by many people because I'm "too young." I was thinking it'd be more of a goal for in my 30's.

K, wifey to M, PROUD SAH-mama to Catherine Grace
Had a dreamy VBAC waterbirth.jpg to handsome John Gabriel
Crazy about femalesling.GIF  cd.gif familybed2.gif

#2 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM

I began training when I was 19, right after the birth of my DS. 

Being a young mom, I'd prefer someone closer to my age as a doula :)

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#3 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I first started training when I was 22 and then got back into it again when I was 35.  When you are younger you have more energy and that can be a real asset.  Lots of doulas don't have children of their own but have a passion for birth.  I think it's the passion that counts, not the age.  I wouldn't let my age stop me if I were you.  I sometimes wish I had stuck with it when I was younger because my expenses were really low then and it would have been easier for me to be self-employed and starting off in a new career than it is now.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 12 Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM

I was 30.  Some people will want to hire an older, more maternal figure - someone who will be sort of like having a mom or grandma around.  Others will feel just as comfortable with a younger woman who they connect with as a friend or sister.  Some will want a doula who has had her own children; others won't care.

If you want to do it now, go for it!

#5 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

I began training when I was 19, right after the birth of my DS. 

Being a young mom, I'd prefer someone closer to my age as a doula :)

That's a good point! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I first started training when I was 22 and then got back into it again when I was 35.  When you are younger you have more energy and that can be a real asset.  Lots of doulas don't have children of their own but have a passion for birth.  I think it's the passion that counts, not the age.  I wouldn't let my age stop me if I were you.  I sometimes wish I had stuck with it when I was younger because my expenses were really low then and it would have been easier for me to be self-employed and starting off in a new career than it is now.

Energy is a good point, too. It's not easy being "on-call" 24/7 when the need arises and staying up for a 24+ hour birth. But as of now I have young kids, so me being away for extended periods of time just isn't possible. 

K, wifey to M, PROUD SAH-mama to Catherine Grace
Had a dreamy VBAC waterbirth.jpg to handsome John Gabriel
Crazy about femalesling.GIF  cd.gif familybed2.gif

#6 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

If you have young kids now it does make sense to wait until they are older and maybe in school.  You would need to have emergency childcare on call at all times.  Have you considered postpartum work?  That's something that is easier to schedule.  It may be an option for you to build experience until you are ready to go full-time into birth work.  Just a thought.  Good luck on your journey!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM

I'm 23 now and currently doing my training, fortunately I have lots of family and support for when I have to be away from my son but I am still nervous about not getting hired because of my age. Hopefully people will look at the benefits of having a younger doula. I have such a strong passion for maternity and child birth so hopefully that will shine through and help me get some clients!

Mama to a hunky little dude, Wife to my best friend, Doula in training, Full-time free-spirit and christian. OBSESSED with babies and birth lady.gif treehugger.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif slingboy.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I was 17 when I took my doula training, and am now a student midwife at 19.

I like to think there are different "types" of doulas/midwives. Some people prefer a grandmotherly figure, some a motherly figure, others a sister/friend close to their age. I may not be the doula or midwife for everyone being so young, but I am the right person for SOME, and that's what matters.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#9 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM

I'm 26 and I'm a doula--and I don't have any of my own babies. That is much more of a hurdle than my age, I think. But it's not stopping me smile.gif

Doula bellycast.gif and freelance writer notes.gif,  married to the best man I know joy.gif

Stepmother to DSS guitar.gif (9)

6-24-13 angel1.gif

8-9-12 pos.gif and planning on homebirth.jpg

#10 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM

I was 22 when I first started attending births. My first few years, I was volunteering my services so it was hard for anyone to turn down free support.

I think having reliable, on call childcare is a bigger obstacle. That can be so incredibly tricky.

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#11 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM

I'm not a doula, but if I were to hire one, I'd want one who has been through childbirth herself, and I wouldn't care if she was "too young". Not that I'd never hire one who hasn't had a baby before, but if I did, I'd look for someone older who has attended more births. Does that make sense? shrug.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started working as a doula when I was 25 and my age didn't seem to get in the way.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page