Anyone work as a sibling doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like I've been posting a lot lately, and thank you for answering all of my questions. winky.gif

I've just been invited to be a sibling doula at a friend's birth. She has a 3 yo body and is giving birth at the birth center when I delivered my son. I've trained and attended some births as a labor doula (just starting out), and although I have a general understanding of what a sibling doula does, I'm hoping to get some more understanding.

I'm just curious if you could share what you do if you offer these services -- before, during & after birth. Also, if you've used a sibling doula for a birth, what things were particularly helpful for you child?

Thank you so much!

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 PM

I had a homebirth, 4 years ago. DD was about 8. Present were: me, my husband, my daughter, and the doula that I hired to help me. Turns out that no one was there, long. Doula and midwife were there just 2 hours. New baby was born at around midnight.

My daughter got support from everyone, there. Except from me, I was kinda busy. When it came to pushing, my daughter was in the other room. Then, she came in when baby was born. So I did not have a dedicated sibling doula. It wasn't an issue, for me. That said, a three-year old has needs that need to be met. The 3 yo may sleep, during the birth. But who knows? The 3 yo will need food or snacks or water or bathroom help. Maybe help in getting to sleep.

Honestly? The doula prep part in this situation sounds less important than knowing what do with a 3 yo. If you have babysat this age group before, you prob know everything that you need to know. If there are any gaps, for you - ask the parents what kind of help their 3 yo might need. Get to know this kid before the birth, a little bit - if you can.

Hope this helps.

#3 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! This mama is a friend of mine and I have a son who is about 6 months younger than her son. We go to play groups together, so I've gotten a chance to know him a bit. And yes, there are definitely some differences in the developmental progress of our kids (like potty training), but overall he and my son are similar, which is why I was comfortable taking the job. Honestly, there is some selfishness in this as my son will be attending my own homebirth of his little sister in March and he will be around the same age :) 

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 PM

:)

#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM

At one of the births I attended we had a little boy about 4-5 years old.  He was remarkably well behaved.  It was a hospital birth and although I wasn't in charge of him (I was just helping his mom, mostly) there were some times when I took him out for a bit for a walk or a snack when mom and dad wanted some privacy.  Dad and I took turns looking after him during labor - he was a good "excuse" for Dad to get away for a few minutes when things got intense with the labor, and I stayed with Mom, while Dad regrouped down the hall at the vending machine or whatever.  Kiddo was there for the actual pushing, not bothering anyone, just looking.  Then after the birth I also took him out for a bit so mom and baby could bond and he could get some rest.  It was late and he fell asleep after that. 

4-5 is developmentally older than a 3 y.o. and I'm not surprised they'd want someone there full time for support.  I think it's excellent, especially if it's late hours and the kid needs to sleep and/or if he or she gets scared during pushing and needs to be taken outside, or if there's an emergency, etc.  I tried to find a person like that for my kids as well for my own upcoming birth but didn't find anyone unfortunately.  =/

#6 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 PM

tiqa, What area are you in? Maybe we can help you find someone.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page