educating an already laboring mom about pain management (x-posted in childbirth ed and midwives) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hello everyone,

i'm a nursing student doing an independent study in labor and delivery in a very midwife centered hospital in brooklyn, ny.  having worked as a doula and had both hospital and homebirths myself, i've found it really interesting working with all different populations in this hospital with the amazing midwifery team there.

i'm looking for research about how nurses and other health care providers educate already laboring moms about pain management techniques - both pharmacological and non-pharmacological.  it seems to me that the non-pharm ones are relatively easy to educate and implement - since essentially, you can say to the mom, "tell me if this is working or not working for you."

when it comes to pharmacological pain relief, it's a lot more complicated - there's more pros and cons, maybe consent to sign, and often it's not easily reversible.  a lot of the women who come in from triage haven't had prenatal childbirth ed, and so it could be the first time that they're having a real discussion about pain medication. 

if any of you know of any journals/books/etc that address pain mgmt education for an already laboring mom, i would greatly appreciate it if you sent them my way.

thanks so much for your help!

-ellie

#2 of 2 Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Birth Partner would probably be a great book for you to read.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Doula , Doula Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page