Client seeking advise about when to stop working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the deal: My client (who is also a good friend of mine) is wanting to know when she should stop going to work.

Now the history: She is officially due on the 30th, but her provider is having her try to get things going (naturally for now) early because she has gestational diabetes. This is her second baby. She had a c-section with her last because she was pre-eclamptic and when they induced her she couldn't make it happen vaginally. So this time she is REALLY hoping to be able to have a natural, vaginal birth. She has been having prelabor contractions and diarrhea for four or five days now and is feeling anxious and done with being pregnant. She works at a laid back design firm, and is wondering when she should stop going in.

My first thought was that she should stop going in now. Then she can focus on walking, resting, nurishing herself, and stimulating the contractions. But of course, if she takes off now, she loses time from her maternity leave... and with that factored in it's really hard to advise. I guess on the one hand, if she takes the time off now and she is rested, nourished and prepared for the birth it might sway her chances of having to be sectioned again, which would make her maternity leave and recovery time more enjoyable and easier. But, then again, she may deliver vaginally anyhow, there's no way to know!

Help me! What would you tell your client/friend if they asked your advise about this?

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#2 of 5 Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Personally, I'd just offer input on both sides of the decision, as it seems she can best determine what's a better fit for her. With my last pregnancy, I worked up to the day before I had my little one (and had it not been a Saturday and had I not been in obvious labor when I awoke, probably would have gone into work the day of). If her office environment is "laid-back" as described, it is possible that continuing her routines will be helpful to her in not stressing out over when this little one will arrive, which will help with reducing her blood pressure, etc. But, as you have mentioned, it could be helpful to her to be able to focus on natural methods of "inducing" labor, and since she's already seeing some signs, it might not even be more than a day or two.

#3 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My water broke *at work*. lol I was ready to carry my kid two weeks past my due date and keep working that whole time. I got every last day out of my mat leave that I could.

That said, it depends on what her risks are with her GD, I guess.

My thought process was: what do I need to sit at home getting antsy for? I might as well be doing something while I wait.

JenVose likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

My water broke *at work*. lol I was ready to carry my kid two weeks past my due date and keep working that whole time. I got every last day out of my mat leave that I could.

That said, it depends on what her risks are with her GD, I guess.

My thought process was: what do I need to sit at home getting antsy for? I might as well be doing something while I wait.

That was my thought last time around too, and this time, provided I feel well enough (so far so good at 36 weeks).  Even though I'd love to have some time at home to finish up a few things, at least here at work the stuff I don't feel like doing anyway isn't staring me in the face.  *lol*  However, if I were dealing with tummy issues too, I might be more inclined to change my mind...

Would a compromise work in her situation?  Shorter days so she can sleep in?

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying everyone. She's decided to go ahead and start her maternity leave. I think the biggest factor in her decision was one I didn't even think of - her 4 year old son. Talking to her, she mentioned getting some time to spend with him and relaxing as the two deciding factors.
JenVose likes this.

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10

Tags
Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page