DONA or Childbirth International? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DONA or Childbirth International?

Ive been desperately looking for answers on how to become a doula. Ive always had a fascination with childbirth and my life dream would have been to become a midwife but as life hit me and i started a family of my own, I no longer have the time or money to do so. My son was delivered by a midwife and I absolutely loved it. I have attended 4 births (one more coming in feb). I love being the support for a mother. I have seen 2 schools online, Dona and childbirth international. It seems that Dona is more extensive and expensive. Is having a certification from Childbirth International just as accepting in society as Dona?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Cbi

I'm considering using CBI! I was all set to do DONA, but CBI is more flexible with timelines, and you don't have to renew your membership. They have their birth doula education syllabus online and I was very impressed. You can look at it here: http://www.childbirthinternational.c...irth_doula.pdf

I too would love to know if any certification is more accepted/respected than others!
#3 of 3 Old 12-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Hi there Laura,

I'm completing my Labor Doula course with CBI and am LOVING it! My MIL and two SILs trained with DONA, and they will be re-certifying through CBI. They've expressed frustrations with DONA and also mentioned that CBI seems to offer more to doulas in training.

In FB groups I'm in, DONA is "looked down on" as they seem to always tell their doulas to offer FREE doula services to clients while they are in training. This is very harmful for the doula community!

PROS of CBI:
1. Payment plans. Instead of paying one fee of around $500, I chose a payment plan of around $170 for three months.

2. Distance education with online trainer support

3. AMAZING training. It's lengthy: three manuals, tests, papers, two births, three book reviews, etc., but I feel so prepared and, from my conversations with other new doulas, I feel like CBI offers more information that doulas REALLY need to know. I started in September 2014, and put in about 10 hours a week. Now I just have to finish reading three books and I'm hoping to be certified by the end of January 2015.

4. Once certified you are always certified. Don't have to pay to become a member or re-certify every three years.

5. Discounts off other courses: Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Lactation Consultant, etc.

I definitely recommend it!

And don't be afraid to charge for births during your training! Check out The Business of Being a Doula on FB.

Momma to my little heart warrior, Leo, born 11/27/2012

Birth Doula in the Bay Area -> www.sidekickdoula.com

User Tag List