Hi there Laura,
I'm completing my Labor Doula course with CBI and am LOVING it! My MIL and two SILs trained with DONA, and they will be re-certifying through CBI. They've expressed frustrations with DONA and also mentioned that CBI seems to offer more to doulas in training.
In FB groups I'm in, DONA is "looked down on" as they seem to always tell their doulas to offer FREE doula services to clients while they are in training. This is very harmful for the doula community!
PROS of CBI:
1. Payment plans. Instead of paying one fee of around $500, I chose a payment plan of around $170 for three months.
2. Distance education with online trainer support
3. AMAZING training. It's lengthy: three manuals, tests, papers, two births, three book reviews, etc., but I feel so prepared and, from my conversations with other new doulas, I feel like CBI offers more information that doulas REALLY need to know. I started in September 2014, and put in about 10 hours a week. Now I just have to finish reading three books and I'm hoping to be certified by the end of January 2015.
4. Once certified you are always certified. Don't have to pay to become a member or re-certify every three years.
5. Discounts off other courses: Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Lactation Consultant, etc.
I definitely recommend it!
And don't be afraid to charge for births during your training! Check out The Business of Being a Doula on FB.
Momma to my little heart warrior, Leo, born 11/27/2012
Birth Doula in the Bay Area ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.