Mothering Forum banner

SAHM doula?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jeannekc 
#1 ·
Hello. Birth is one of the only things I have ever been really passionate about, and I have thought on and off over the past few years about becoming a doula. I am wondering if it would make a good job for a stay home mama?

My husband has a full time job, but it isn't quite enough to support us. So right now I am working a part time job as well that I can't quit. I am 7 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and trying to think of ways I could just quit my regular job. I realize there might be more practical ways to make money and have more home time, but nothing that speaks to my talents and passions.

I would have to make at least $650 a month to meet our needs. Is that doable for a mom with two kids? I would love to hear all of your insights and experiences. I guess I just really have no concept of the actual time that being a doula takes out of your life, and wouldn't know how little/how much I would need to do to make it work.

#2 ·
It all depends on how many clients you take per month. I'm not sure where you're located, but in my area (northern NJ/NYC) doulas charge anywhere from $500-$4000 per client (varies widely with the doula's experience). So if you took one or two clients per month, you would probably be financially fine if you only need $650/month to get by.

It does require being on call 24/7, but with, say, 2 clients per month you will really only be working a few days per month. Most of the doulas I've met are also stay-at-home moms, I don't think there are a lot of ways to have a traditional job in addition to doula work because of the on call time.

#6 ·
Well, I think the difficulty of being on-call isn't necessarily due to the total number of hours, but rather the unpredictability of them and the need for them to be consecutive. You may only work 15 hours in a week, but that is all in one day including an overnight, and with little advance warning. I have a friend who was a doula and enjoyed it but she had very very flexible childcare (i.e. her mother down the block from her).

#4 · (Edited)
Who will watch your children while you are doing your doula duties? How solid are your childcare plans?

What if a woman has a long labor?

What happens if there is an emergency with your own children and you cannot fulfill your doula duties?

What other services will you provide pre-partum and post-partum?

These were questions that were put to me when I was a SAHM with little ones.

When I applied to be a doula, the job was six weeks before the EDC and six to ten weeks after. I had done work like this in college and I am very trustworthy as far as being in a family home. I had my own children at home as well as caring for little siblings growing up who were also born at home.

#5 ·
I think you could make that much but first it will cost you money to do your training and get some experience so that will be important to factor in.

Something that is easier to schedule is post partum doula care or childbirth education, but those are similar in that they will cost money at first and take some time to build up a business. Depending on what's in your community you may be able to work for a doula service or something like that if that worked better for you.

#7 ·
Hi Tiffa,

You're right, being a doula can be tough, but it can be very rewarding as well. Many doulas provide prenatal consultation, prenatal visits, and remain in constant contact with the mother through email, phone, or text. During labor, they provide continuous emotional support. After labor, they provide the initial breastfeeding and postpartum support. This process can take a lot of time and it can get pretty hectic.

Then there's the cost of getting training as a doula. If you decide to get certified, classes and workshops can cost over $500, which is a lot to invest up front. There are some volunteer doula programs to help you gain experience if you decide not to get certified.

It sounds like you're really interested in becoming a doula, which is great! Here's a few resources to help you if you decide to pursue doula training. It is going to be a big commitment and you'll have to weigh your own individual needs with your career and your family, but it can definitely be worth it, especially if you're passionate about it!

Good luck!

#8 ·
a job you can be passionate about

The biggest issue I foresee for you would be finding childcare at the drop of a hat. I know that when I was pregnant the second and third times, I stressed out about what would happen if my go-to child-watcher was unavailable for some reason. I made prioritized lists of who I call if I couldn't get a hold of my first choice baby sitter. That said, if you can figure out childcare, I would think being a doula could be a great possibility for you, especially if it speaks to your heart.

I was also going to second the opinion above which suggested post-partum doula, as this is a more "regular" schedule.

As with any business, you'll have to invest money and time before you see a return, but as long as this is possible, you can definitely get a return on an investment. I would also recommend finding a doula "collective" to help you start out: finding clients and acting as back-up in case of an emergency.

I also recommend listening to this doula interview, as it covers a lot of common questions that come up when considering it as a profession: http://www.collegealternative.net/becoming-a-doula/

Good luck to you! I hope you find a job that you can be passionate about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.