Birth Arts International CBE course questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

Could anyone who has taken this course give me a little insight? I'm trying to decide between BAI and another program for CBE certification. I can't seem to find a complete course syllabus or exact rundown of all certification requirements on their website; something that will really help me in my decision making process. Also, did you feel that the course was thorough and prepared you for teaching in any situation, like VBACs for example? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

thanks.gif

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#2 of 12 Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM

subbing

I first looked at BAI. Now I'm leaning towards CBI.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#3 of 12 Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 AM

BAI covered so much more than the other organizations.

The had you do work in communication, community resources, make all of your teaching materials, handouts, etc..

I felt really set up to teach when I was done.

The workbook you complete is really well rounded.

Good luck.

#4 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm a new BAI student (CBE and BEC) and am really impressed with the work so far.  I'd send Demetria an email if I were you!

K: Wife to C, Momma to C (2/20/08) & A (11/7/09)!
#5 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Yes, she is really nice and will get back to you and take the time you need.

#6 of 12 Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 PM

There are many benefits in my mind to going with BAI but the one that stands out to me is the fact that there is no time limit for completing your work. We all have lives; kids, work, partners, etc and not being set to a year or two years is very appealing to me. The other aspect for me is the midwifery model of care, no unnecessary intervention, the Wise Woman model of healing. Great program all around. 

#7 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to respond ladies!  I actually had a lovely email exchange with Demetria and am almost 100% positive I will be going with BAI.  The other program I am considering is CBI and I have heard amazing things about the communication aspects of their training modules.  I would hate to gain all of this wonderful knowledge and then not be able to effectively get the message across to my clients!  earth2birth, you mentioned communication work with BAI - all good??? 

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#8 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Has anyone tried BAI's postpartum doula program? I have a friend who's talking about going to the workshop and I thought I might join her.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 12 Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM

The BEC course requires 600 clinical hours.  The CBE course requires you to really reach out into your community (reports, interviews, attending births, etc)  ... by the time you're done, you're basically ready to teach.  You complete your class materials with the intention of using them later.  :) 

#10 of 12 Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no greensad.gif .  I didn't see anything on the BAI website about attendance at births being required for the CBE cert. 

That's not something I am in a position to do at this time.  And why I decided to do my CBE cert now and hold off on studying to become a doula until a few years from now.  I guess that makes my decision for me.

- Gabriel García Márquez

#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM

I want to say that it's only one (maybe two?) birth attendance for the CBE course.  Talk to Demetria, though.  She may be able to work with you, or it could be one of the last things you do, you know?  Don't discount it just because of that one part - there's SO MUCH more to the courses!

#12 of 12 Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Just got an email response from Demetria.  Birth attendance is suggested but NOT a requirement for CBE certification.  (She didn't mention how many births.)  I am so relieved!  It would be almost impossible for me to make that work right now with my little one, my hubby's schedule and no family close by.  I do like that it is suggested though.  Gives me even more insight into this being a really thorough program.  BAI seems like the perfect fit for me and a wonderful match for my personal birth philosophy thumb.gif.

- Gabriel García Márquez

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page