How to get free stuff for Childbirth classes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I teach for an independent childbirth/parenting resource company in the style of Birthing From Within. I know the hospital teachers are able to get free folders for handouts, nursing teas, Mothering magazines ;), etc. for participants from vendors. Anyone know how to tap into these resources?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 AM

I know I saw a list online years ago, but I don't remember where. You might try calling different companies that are in line with your ethics(Lansinoh for instance?), and ask themwhat they can help you with.   Let us now what you find!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#3 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV View Post

I teach for an independent childbirth/parenting resource company in the style of Birthing From Within. I know the hospital teachers are able to get free folders for handouts, nursing teas, Mothering magazines ;), etc. for participants from vendors. Anyone know how to tap into these resources?

Really?  I would love to know where those come from because I have never gotten all of that stuff.  The other thing I have ever gotten was the free magazines that everyone can get (both private and hospital educators can get them), but even those have stopped.  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM

I've gotten a lot of stuff just by calling or emailing companies and explaining what I'm doing.  I've since stopped giving a lot of it out while I think through the ethics and what message I'm really sending-- for example, giving out Lansinoh samples sends the message that breastfeeding hurts, you will have problems, you need this product to fix it. 

Anyway, I've gotten things from Lansinoh, Medela, Boppy, Sleepy Wrap, Dr. Jones, Bordreaux's Butt Paste, Preggy Pops, Traditional Medicinals, Motherlove, Belli, and Pampers has a childbirth educator program where you get free class booklets and a big flip chart, which is fairly decent for it being free and having Pampers plastered all over it.  I know that Moby Wrap, and the some sort of cloth diaper industry organization has a doula/educator packet for a small fee.  I've heard of others getting things from Luna bars.

#5 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I find, though, that my clients appreciate the content of the workbook I give them, and the information we cover, more than the freebies. ;)  I have samples of wraps and carriers for them to try, all the different styles of cloth diapers to play with, different kinds of Mama Cloth to think about, talk about how the boppy is the bane of my existance in breastfeeding support (I have been doing breastfeeding support for six years) because Mama puts Boppy on lap, baby on Boppy, and then leans down to the baby, rather than leaning back and bringing baby ALLLLL the way up to her.  So, I wouldn't want breastfeeding pillow coupons, etc...  I used to hand out lansinoh and little bits of lambswool from lanawool, the maker of lana nursing pads... but again, I just bring out my old nursing pads for them to handle, and talk about them, and why they're good...and they write the link down and buy them if they want them.  The information is most important to the people I meet, moreso than the "stuff." 

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 8 Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's where you contact Traditional Medicinals:

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/contact

I get Mother's Milk tea samples quarterly.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#7 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 AM

http://www.alldoulas.com/forums/general-business-marketing-discussion/290-free-samples-clients.html 

I got a ton of samples from this thread...actually too much stuff!  ONLY request products you would use yourself...I ended up with a few items that I decided I didn't feel comfortable giving to my clients (I donated them to our local Head Start program).  : )  I personally love to get samples and my clients love getting them too.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Breasfeeding Counselor,

Doula, Certified Infant Massage Instructor, Birth Junkie

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#8 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM

You can just email or call companies you're interested in and ask for samples. I don't really do samples, but I do a lot of different educational brochures. I also have a ton of different carriers (I think I have 15) and cloth diapers (not free, bought for my own kids. Some of the cloth diapers I never used because I forgot about them). I do a free 2 hour class each month on cloth diapers and babywearing (2 seperate classes) so that people can see the different stuff and try them on.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page