? about childbirth videos for CBE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to CBE and trying to decide which videos to purchase.  I have been a doula for 7 years and own the 3 R's from penny simkin which I love, and the compilation of Joy of Birth.  Where do you buy videos from and what are the normal prices, I know they are pricey just trying to keep a budget here, as I will not be making much doing the classes.  Thanks in advance

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#2 of 12 Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Although I own a lot of videos simply because I was practicing before things like YouTube - you really can find a lot of good stuff on there.  In all honesty I don't own the videos I would really love to own because they are just plainly too expensive.  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#3 of 12 Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Videos are often really expensive!

One of my favorites is "Birth Day" (it's not expensive) It's absolutely beautiful and it shows, what I consider to be a normal birth, which is not something many women have seen. I show this in my first class before I show hospital videos in later classes (this is a homebirth) because I want to parents what birth can be. To be fair, my curriculum is for natural childbirth preparation, I would think it's a great video for any class but others might not agree shy.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 12 Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Mother's Advocate offers a nice video that illustrates the 6 Lamaze Healthy Birth practices. You can watch the segments individually online, or buy the DVD for $16.  http://www.injoyvideos.com/mothersadvocate/videos.html

I do like the InJoy videos for class... If you tell them you are an independent CBE, they will offer a small discount. I saved up a loooong time to have enough to buy a few of these videos, and I love them. My students respond well to the modern editing and like-able couples.

#5 of 12 Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM

I like the lamaze video too, I also use that one.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

I really like My Body, My Baby, My Birth (only $10)  http://itsmybodymybabymybirth.com/Order_the_Movie.html 

and The Business of Being Born which can be found very inexpensive on amazon (I "require" my clients to watch Business at home, I let them borrow one of my copies).  I have several others that I use, but as pp shared, there is soooo much on you tube...if I realized how much was out there for free I would not have purchased all the other videos I have.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Breasfeeding Counselor,

Doula, Certified Infant Massage Instructor, Birth Junkie

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#7 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM

The Business of Being Born, for sure.

There is a new series on Lifetime, One Born Every Minute, which was filmed at Riverside Hospital in Columbus OH. I think you could DVR/tape it. It's shot from cameras that were installed in the lL&D rooms, so there is no camera person who gets in the way. It's narrated by Jamie Lee Curtis. I think it shows a fairly realistic view of what a typical hospitalized, medicalized birth is like. Yes, they have unmedicated deliveries, and they show how the staff helps/doesn't help with that process.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

The Business of Being Born, for sure.

There is a new series on Lifetime, One Born Every Minute, which was filmed at Riverside Hospital in Columbus OH. I think you could DVR/tape it. It's shot from cameras that were installed in the lL&D rooms, so there is no camera person who gets in the way. It's narrated by Jamie Lee Curtis. I think it shows a fairly realistic view of what a typical hospitalized, medicalized birth is like. Yes, they have unmedicated deliveries, and they show how the staff helps/doesn't help with that process.

I couldn't show this in class unless I wanted my students to see me lose it and start yelling at the TV!  LOL.  I think most people have seen a show like that at least once, I want to use my videos to show them things about birth they may not have been exposed to otherwise.

My curriculum uses a few mentioned already - "It's My Body, My Baby, My Birth", "Birth Day", "The Three R's" - as well as this Natural Water Birth video (youtube), Noa Was Born ($10), and Psalm and Zoya.  Some definitely on the crunchier side of the spectrum.  I think I will buy that Lamaze video, it looks like a good deal.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#9 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaE View Post

Mother's Advocate offers a nice video that illustrates the 6 Lamaze Healthy Birth practices. You can watch the segments individually online, or buy the DVD for $16.  http://www.injoyvideos.com/mothersadvocate/videos.html

It was actually only $12.95, free shipping!  Thanks for the link!

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#10 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM

I just wanted to clarify that Lifetime's series, "One Born Every Minute" is NOT the same as TLC's "A Baby Story."

OBEM is new; it just started 2 weeks ago.

While it DOES show hospital births, it is not in an overly dramatic "will she make it or not? - cut to commercial" way.

It follows 3 couples over the hour and, while it is somewhat dramatic, it is much more matter-of-fact. And it is this characteristic that I think would be beneficial to a mother/couple who is planning a hospital (or even birth center) birth. You can stop the show and say, "Look here. Did you notice how that nurse just expects that the epidural will come next? Let's question that assumption."  Yes, I did get angry with the staff's assumptions/behavior/total medicalization of childbirth, but it was more a thoughtful, contemplative anger, rather than a "throw-a-shoe-at-the-television" anger.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Did I mention/have you seen Orgasmic Birth?

I think a problem with it, though, is that it is expensive.

#12 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Yes, I have seen the new show.  I wanted to watch it so that if my students asked me about it I would be able to discuss it, but it's not something I would show in my class. I read several comments by the doula who was featured in the first episode, and she said there was still a lot of editing going on to make it look more dramatic than it was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page