anyone have a bad experience with ALACE? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi everyone!

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience working with the ALACE (now the International Birth and Wellness Project) and their CBE program. i was drawn to it because it was originally devolped my midwives and followed a natural/holistic approach. their website seemed professional and legit...plus, it offered a payment plan. i emailed them telling them i was interested and someone got in contact with me right away. it seemed to be everything i was looking for. so, i sent in my $300 deposit and faxed in my paperwork and was told i would receive my manual in approximately 10 days. it has now been one month and two days since then and i have yet to receive my manual. i have called and called them leaving messages as to when they thought the manual would ship, or when it was shipped, and for varification that the manual would ship after paying the deposit and not after i made the last payment. no one will answer the phone, no one will return my calls. i have also emailed them and have gotten no response. i am so frustrated and upset. i feel that i have been duped and scammed. i refuse to make anymore payments until i get some answers. i am also a student midwife and make monthly payments for school, so i am really ticked that i have probably just flushed 300 bucks down the toilet. i am looking into some other CBE programs, but i'll have to wait until i save up some more money to start them.

has anyone else had any trouble with ALACE/IBWP? or have you had any success with them? i would love to get some feedback on this as to what your interactions have been with them.

thanks!

jessica

#2 of 14 Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM

I have not, but I suggest reporting them to the BBB and filing a claim with your bank for the $300.

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#3 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 AM

I had an awesome experience with ALACE's doula training course, but I did notice they were flaky with returning calls and emails. I would continue to try to get in touch with them for a few more weeks before reporting them. I never certified with them because so many of the people I took the training with were losing their packets when they sent them in (ALACE was moving offices at the time). Sorry you're having a bad experience! I know they are a legit business, but they seem to have been having issues over the last few years. 

veggielover likes this.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#4 of 14 Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 PM

I've had a similar experience.  My initial inquiry was replied to right away (this June).  Then I did the payment plan.  I paid the deposit, then when I didn't get my packet I kept inquiring, then was told it had been sent but that FedEx lost it and they would be sending another one.  I finally got it (I was not going to make a payment until I got it).  They paperwork is very unclear as to when you can expect it.  

Then I made a payment and was double invoiced, which happened the following month as well.  I sent them an email to please stop that...I don't know if they just aren't savvy with PayPal or what....

Anyway, I've sent in my module work and haven't heard back.  I'm still working through the modules because it's good info and I hope it is all legitimate and that maybe they are just really unorganized.

I did try to call early on and the number was disconnected!  Then a couple weeks later it was working again, but I've never talked to a live person.  

-Rachel

#5 of 14 Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM

I have heard they are very disorganized and going through some huge changes right now. In January, when I was researching my options for certification, I originally wanted to go with them, but read many reports of these exact kinds of issues....so I went with CBI instead. (((HUGS))) Hope they get their act together soon. 

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#6 of 14 Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM

I am sorry you had that experience.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#7 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Following up on my earlier post.  I've since tried to contact IBWP and have submitted modules and followed up several times with no response.  In light of everything I've gone through with them and their lack of response to numerous inquiries, as well as double invoicing, not sending my packet until I kept bugging them, etc, I am convinced they are a scam.  They may have been reputable in the past, but now I would warn people....BEWARE OF ALACE/IBWP!!!

I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (I saw that I won't be the first), and am filing a claim to try and recover some of my money.

Please spread the word so others don't fall prey to their scam.

#8 of 14 Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I still haven't heard anything back from them, as well. I am also NOT recommending ALACE/IBWP to anyone...it is truly sad what ALACE has now become.

I, too, will be filing a complaint with the BBB. Rachel, I read that too, on the BBB website there is a previous complaint against them - for the very same reasons, imagine that!!!

-Jessica

#9 of 14 Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 AM

I am really sorry you had these experiences and they are still continuing.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#10 of 14 Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Well I started the course at the end of June. As you say they were very quick to respond to any emails and questions prior to enrolment but now very very poor and very very unprofessional in terms of repsonding. I sent 1 module in 2 months ago and have not heard anything more and have sent a couple of emails. I don't live in the states so I have not tried telephoning. I am very dissappointed and their poor performance. But I do really like the course and the questions that we need to look at! I also don't know what to do.

Good luck to us all!

Jo

#11 of 14 Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Another follow-up here.  I was able to recover one of my payments via Paypal resolution service (they handle the dispute on my behalf).  I did give IBWP my feedback, which was clear and fair.  They never responded.

I'm out several hundred dollars but glad to be moving on.  Too bad I won't be certified any time soon, as I'll be starting over with another organization (well-researched in advance) but not till I save up again.

-Rachel

#12 of 14 Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM

Hi Rachel,

Well I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem to some extent and move on. Maybe I have to make the same decision, except I paid for the whole course in advance! Out of curiosity who did you decide to continue with?

Good luck,

Jo

#13 of 14 Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm going to go with Childbirth International.  There are probably other good ones out there, but I need a distance program because it would be hard for me to attend a workshop.

-Rachel

#14 of 14 Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM

I just started with CBI, and I love them so far! 

VERY organized, respond usually the same day (or the next), and everything is done from the comfort of home!  I received my manuals last week and am very pleased! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelK View Post

I'm going to go with Childbirth International.  There are probably other good ones out there, but I need a distance program because it would be hard for me to attend a workshop.

-Rachel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page