aromatherapy in class and childbirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a Labor and Delivery nurse and childbirth educator.  I found these fantastic oils that I want to spread the word about.  Iris Oils!  I have been using them on laboring women for the last 6 months and there are awesome.  Smell great and really help.  They have a childbirth pack of 4 little bottles, one for each stage of labor.  Recently I found out they have a pregnancy massage oil and I have started using it in my childbirth classes.  I let the partners use it to practice massage and counter pressure, it smells amazing! Their website is www.irisoils.com  ...check it out!

#2 of 3 Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Wow...thank you for sharing that!  I can't wait to try it!

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#3 of 3 Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

When using oils or any sort of scents please be very careful and make sure the mama or anyone in the room doesn't have allergies.  I didn't see what type of oil was in the massage oil, but sometimes people are sensitive to certain oils or scents.  Once I went to watch (didn't participate - just watched) a prenatal massage and the therapist used an almond oil based oil on the mom - I had such a bad allergic reaction just from being in the same room that my very good friend was completely freaked out and didn't know if she should let me go home and take medication or take me to the ER.  

Personally as a massage therapist I try to stay away from oils that have scents especially in pregnancy because you never know if they will cause a mother an issue or not (i.e. allergies or nausea).

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page