To certify or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel so conflicted after looking into getting certified. seems like after training you pay a boat load of cash for something thats unnecessary. theres no national or state guideline so it just an "extra". and they all conflict with eachother too, like this one excepts training from this or that one but not others, that sounds really stuck up to me.

i do not want to teach in a hospital as my philosophy would not be allowed i'm quite sure. but i do want my clients to feel secure in the validity of my teaching. i like pure birth's philosophy but worry i wont get students without "certified" next to my name            ( though i have taken both CAPPA and DONA trainings).

Thoughts PLEASE!

i want to start teaching asap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM

You talking about certifying as a childbirth educator?  I'm a doula - had the CAPPA and DONA training for that and found after a while that I would rather not be certified as a doula.  It has not impacted my business at all, but I'm already established.  I teach CB classes for my clients only - if they cannot find a class they like.  The one true benefit of being certified is the credibility it gives you...especially as you get established.  A lot of professionals will not recommend you or take you seriously if you are not certified.  Some moms and dads may not care, but some will.  It would help if you could get someone who is actively involved in birth to write you a letter of recommendation - previous students, clients, a midwife you've worked with, ect.  You'll find your place and it will be just fine.  Have you looked at Birth Arts?  They have probably the least restrictive set up...just a thought. 

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#3 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Am considering BAI because I do need freedom and there's a sale right now. I actually already have an established CBE business but none of us are currently certified with any organization. I don't feel we NEED it but sometimes that little touch can lend some help.  One of us went through ALACE training and then they had all their turmoil, leaving a bad taste in her mouth.  I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page