Recommendations for a Birth Class? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me out. I do want to ask my midwife at our next visit, but in the meantime, I thought I'd get some other input/ideas.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of birth class would be best for dh and me.

Relevant information:

-This is the first baby for both of us

-We are planning to birth at a free-standing birth center with a midwife

-I've done a lot of reading about birth, but dh knows basically nothing about it. He supports my right to make decisions about how I birth, but would choose a hospital birth with an epidural if he were the one having a baby

-I don't want my dh to feel like he is responsible for "coaching" me through labor. He's not an expert, and I don't expect him to be. I want him to get some idea of what to expect, and some ideas of how to help, but I don't want him to think he needs to "be in charge" of getting me through

-I've read the Birthing from Within book, and honestly found it waaaay too... hippie-ish, for lack of a better word. And I'm terrible with artistic expression, so I don't see that as a good option

-I definitely want something that will teach a variety of techniques for coping with pain, and something that doesn't claim it will lead to painless labor (I don't think anything can guarantee such a thing, so I hope there aren't classes that claim that, but you never know...)

-If it makes any difference, I live in the Houston area (in case someone has location-specific suggestions)

Anyway, advice/ideas/input appreciated!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#2 of 3 Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon... more technical. It was really what helped us! We only took the first 4 Bradley Birth classes... bradleybirth.com Although, it is about husband coached childbirth... it is also very informative. If you read it, you'll feel you had a text book labor. :)  I don't know what classes to recommend if your husband doesn't want to be the main coach... but maybe someone else can be your coach and you DH can be assistant coach. Always good to have two people... especially if you have a long labor.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#3 of 3 Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree wit germin8. You might like Bradley even though it's "husband coached". He doesn't have to be responsible for getting you through, but it does give you both a leg up with knowing what is normal or not and lots of different labor techniques that might work for both of you. Good luck whatever you choose!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page