New Venue for Childbirth Education Courses - East Coast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get a project off the ground here in the East Coast and it's not gaining any traction.  So I thought talking on this forum to birth professionals would help me understand where I'm going wrong.

My project is to bring childbirth education, doula education, and possilbe even midwifery to community colleges.  Currently, as most of you know, the classes are either online or on the West Coast, unless the class or seminar comes here, which doesn't come so often.  My thinking was, if it's readily accessible to community colleges here on the East Coast, maybe there would be widespread word of the benefits of childbirth educators, doulas and midwives.  So far, although there seems to be interest, no one is taking to it.  I've applied to grants, spoken with professors and departments and have not gone anywhere.  Is the East Coast just not suited for birth professionals?

Why this project is so near and dear to me is when I was pregnant 2 years ago and wanted the experience that other mothers on this board had, my options for childbirth education was Bradley or Lamaze, a very small pool of doulas, and only one licensed midwifery practice in the DC area.  One!  And they were tied into a OB/GYN office.  As I talked to other mothers, there just wasn't a wide variety of choice.  My sister in law was pregnant around the same time I was and she wanted a midwife that did a home birth and had to use an underground midwife. Her birth experience was wonderful.  She eventually became a doula, but even then she said that's hard to find educational choices that are close to here and so it's mostly online.  And I searched and found that to be true.  

Any advice?

#2 of 2 Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Anne,

I would love to assist in this in any way I can!  I am in the Southwest VA/Northeast TN area and I am a Labor Doula, Midwife Student, and studying to be a Natural Childbirth Educator.  It was difficult for me to find a program for my education that suited my needs.  I think it could be good for us to have this option in community colleges around the region.  Let me know how I may be able to help!

Lynette Kendall

www.callmydoula.blogspot.com 

callmydoula@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page