where do you get your medical gear to show students? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Such as an amnihook, internal lead, hmmm...what else do you pass around? Or don't you?

Curious as to what props you've found most helpful, too? Uterus, amniotic sac/placenta/cord, baby, pelvis, etc

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I knew a CBE/doula who swiped things from the hospital when the chance arose, usually with a nurse's permission (amniohook, vacuum extractor, elastic bands used for monitors). You can get some disposable things from midwifesupplies.com. You can often fake it with some household item props. I've knitted a uterus and placenta and cord. Some kind of flexible pelvic model and baby to fit it is a must in my opinion, I remember first attending a class myself and the way it could bend to allow baby through really stuck with me. Otherwise, it all depends what your lesson/activity requires and what the goal is I suppose.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I "inherited" a lot of my gear from an educator who was retiring. I think she got most of her medical gear from hospitals (not sure if it was permission or not). I've also purchased a lot of teaching materials from Childbirth Graphics and my uterus & placenta I found on Etsy.

I agree with JamieCathryn that a pelvis + baby is probably the best thing to get first.

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BirthInternational.com has some pretty great stuff!

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...

User Tag List