Bradley classes vs. one-on-one classes with doula. Pros/cons/advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The doulas that my midwife's practice usually work with, also offer one-on-one childbirthing classes in your home, but their classes are composed of only four 2-hour sessions.  While I don't need to make a decision for some time (only just found out I'm pregnant), I'm trying to figure out the pros/cons of going this route vs. bradley classes.  

One one hand, since I think we are going to get a doula, it seems like having the person who will be helping me in labor also teaching me the techniques would be useful.  On the other, 4 sessions just doesn't seem like enough, and I'm wondering if the 12 session Bradley classes might be better, since it allows more time for practice in between, even though there would be less individual attention. All advice welcome!  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Welcome to mothering WombatMama - love your username! :)

Anyone have any advice to share?

#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Really good question.  Having a Doula is a wonderful thing.  I LOVE Doulas and think they are SO worth the money.  Even with a great husband/partner as a coach, an experienced Doula is an amazing asset.  While it sounds great to have the Doula that is helping you teach you childbirth classes I have to admit, I'm a bit skeptical when I hear about classes that are less than 8-12 weeks long.   There is just so much information to cover I wonder how 8 hours of instruction can possibly encompass everything you learn in the Bradley Method's 24 hours of instruction.  Its also really important to be doing exercises, nutrition, etc for at least 3 months before the birth, longer if you can do it.  Three months is the magic number in so many things like training for a marathon, rehearsing a play, taking a college class, etc. It might also be wise to find out what childbirth organization your Doula is accredited to teach through, research about that organization and what they offer and see if you agree with their philosophy. 

I wrote a blog post about online and distance classes, but it has a lot of info on what a good natural childbirth class should encompass.  I also wrote a bit about the advantages of having small class sizes with other students.  Its here:  http://treeoflifenj.wordpress.com/ 

Here's Bradley's faq on Why 12 weeks? http://bradleybirth.com/Why12.aspx and on this page it tells you some more things Bradley Classes teach http://bradleybirth.com/WhyBradley.aspx

HTH, and congrats on your pregnancy!!!

twockenfuss likes this.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bradley classes are amazing. Like a college class in childbirth. They really taught me and the hubby all kinds of things. The required reading, the exercises, the camaraderie of the other couples during the 12 weeks. Priceless. We threw the "husband -coached" part out. DH was just my main support person. We gave birth naturally and without much fuss three times in our local hospital with our beloved CNM.

I don't like doulas. I've personally seen them mess up the groovy wife-hubby vibe that can happen during birth. This makes some men back off because they feel they have no place in the birth of their own child. Then, cause I'm thrifty.....why pay someone to do the things that a loving, educated partner can do for you anyway? Now, if you are missing a partner or giving birth with a medical support team you don't trust... there might be some room for a doula Guido to help you with the medical staff.
#5 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would take the Bradley classes. I took them with dh when I was pregnant with our second baby and they were great. I like that Bradley incorporates so much about nutrition and exercise into their classes. It's really about healthy pregnancy and birth.

twockenfuss likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM

I LOVED my Bradley classes. Even though I ended up with a C-Section I am still so glad I took the classes. They taught me about pregnancy itself and what I learned from them is invaluable. I always recommend Bradley classes to anyone I know who is pregnant.

twockenfuss likes this.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#7 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM

I started out teaching Bradley Method and I really do love the method. I have been on a hiatus for nursing school for quite some time and stopped teaching. I am now a doula and offer my own brand of childbirth classes. They are 5 weeks long and cover all of the basics of Bradley and have other techniques and information added in. I have not had any of my students complain about the short sessions, having too much information, or not having the information they needed. I would encourage you to ask the doula/CE if you can see an outline or a list of topics that will be covered in the classes and compare it with what you will be getting in Bradley. Best of Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page