Starting out as an independent CBE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently had the epiphany that I want to utilize my knowledge of childbirth and my outgoing personality to help others have beautiful, well-informed birth experiences. Having had 3 births, one in a hospital (with unnecessary interventions) and the last 2 in a birth center (one birth stool & one water birth), I educated myself more through each pregnancy and so feel very well acquainted with all aspects of pregnancy and birth.

I am planning on getting certified through CBI, offering prenatal health & childbirth classes, maybe doing the additional breastfeeding consultant program. I will advertise with the local midwives, birth center, OB offices, my good friends who are alternative health providers, etc. I think I can build a strong business out of this, since I live in the mountains and there are not very many CBE's who serve my community...most are down in Denver, which makes attending classes very inconvenient for a lot of couples up here.

What I'm wondering about the most is startup costs - what kind of educational equipment do you really need to get started? I looked at birthinternational.com and they have a ton of great stuff, but it's expensive. I'm pretty artistic, could I create my own charts & handouts, and maybe just get a couple anatomical models? What do you recommend as the necessities? What else do I really need to get going?

TIA!!

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 PM

I think your passion and ideas are great. And I do think you can create a lot of your materials by hand. Some of my favorite teaching tools are the pelvis and doll and a 3-d model of cervical dilation. I hope you enjoy becoming certified and building your business!

#3 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

:lurk

OP- I could have written your post myself! 

Except for the birth details...

But I'm in the initial stages of making plans to get certified and start a business that can do some real good in my community.

Good luck to you!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 PM

I think you have a great plan...I do it myself! :)  I teach in Estes Park (small mountain town...and by the way, I grew up in Evergreen!), and it's such a great thing for the couples to have a local class and not have to drive an hour each way for the information!

When I first started out I had all sorts of charts and whatnot...but now I just use powerpoint with loads of internet pictures showing anything and everything (real women during real labor).  And if you won't have a projector, you can always just print out your 'slides' and show them...a picture is worth 100 words, don'tchaknowit!  But I always use my pelvis (well...not MY pelvis...the model) and a baby doll, and I  bring a birth ball and have the couples try it out, too. I also demo a lot of rebozo techniques, so for that I bring cheap sarongs.

You don't really need a lot of expensive stuff! 

Good luck!

Nici

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page