Looking for info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

I am on my fourth pregnancy, I have two living chidden, 7 and 5. My 5 year old was born at home, unassisted (not on purpose, just happened that way), and I am planning a home birth with a midwife for this pregnancy. My first two pregnancies were hospital births with a lot of interventions, which is what led to my desire for home births and a different way of doing it. I believe women were designed to give birth and that it is one of the most sacred experiences that a woman can ever have in her life. 

I currently have a career that makes a decent living, that allows me to work from home for the most part, but it not something that I feel any passion for. It is simply a means to an end. Within the past few months, I have come to the realization that I am very interested in the childbirth field, and I feel that it might be a calling for me. 

I am currently looking into all of the different avenues - doula, midwife, and CBE. My main concerns with the doula and midwife options are that A. I have a 7 and 5 year old, the one I'm pregnant with, and we are planning on having a fourth in a year and a half. I feel that the doula and midwife option will take me away from the home too much, and put too much strain on my husband, forcing him to be at home with the kids when I am with clients. 

Hence, I am leaning towards the CBE direction. I am wondering if some of you that are childbirth educators could give me some of your experience, especially if you're a mother with several children. Also, what is the average income of you ladies that do it full time? I would be looking into eventually quitting the job that I currently have. I know that I've looked at educators in my area and they charge anywhere between $250 and $450 for childbirth education classes, but I don't know how often they do classes, how many women/couples sign up and what kind of business expenses they are covering. 

Any information, however vague or specific, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!! :) 

#2 of 4 Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It sounds like you are very passionate about supporting families around birth! It looks like your post may have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-28-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks HappyHappy! I appreciate it! 

#4 of 4 Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 PM

I was in your shoes exactly when I became a childbirth educator - received my certification in 2001. My kids were 7 and 9. I immediately was offered a job teaching at a local hospital. That brought in about $200-$400 a month and has been extremely rewarding.

The great thing about teaching for a hospital is that it is a set night so you can arrange for childcare. You get paid no matter how many couples attend. You don't have to take care of any business aspects, just show up and teach. I have learned so much by teaching - I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page