Anyone already brainstorming names? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I can not agree on names. With DS we didn't have a name for him until he was here.  It works better for us that way because we argue incessantly about it otherwise.  However, for a girl I absolutely LOVE the name Iona. It was my great grandmas name. Everyone called her Ona. 

My husband hates it. 

So, I suggested Ina, nope, hates that one too.

His girl name choices are Coral, and "names that start with A", seriously, that's what he told me. We haven't even started to dicuss boy names because well, I just don't have the energy or the patience.......

:)

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#122 of 146 Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Well I'm sorry if I offended you.  Just not a fan of the name, as I'm not a fan of my own name  Betty.  Really?  Betty?  What were they thinking.  Nobody under the age of 80 has that name but me!

well that's too bad you feel that way . The name Skyler it's kind of special to me :-) it was very uncommon when I was a kid but I like it now. There are a lot of names I wouldn't choose either but sometimes you never know why people do what they do.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#123 of 146 Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM

My husband and I *think* we've finally decided: Odin Allen for a boy and Delcie Rose for a girl.

#124 of 146 Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Yay! We love our Odin Timothy! Just waiting to find out if he'll have a little brother Kruger Daniel or little sister Poppy Muse. (we had considered Rose for a girl as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver sarah View Post

My husband and I *think* we've finally decided: Odin Allen for a boy and Delcie Rose for a girl.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#125 of 146 Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinsMommy0409 View Post

Yay! We love our Odin Timothy! Just waiting to find out if he'll have a little brother Kruger Daniel or little sister Poppy Muse. (we had considered Rose for a girl as well).

#126 of 146 Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 PM

My husband's family comes from Norway and loves the idea of a baby name being inspired by Norse mythology.  One website I found said that Odin means troublemaker...makes me wonder if we might be jinxing ourselves ;).  I much prefer the site that says it means Divine Creative Inspiration....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinsMommy0409 View Post

#127 of 146 Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Ahh, the name game. We have a love/hate relationship. I absolutely adore my other kids' names (Raelin, Ryker, Alaina, and Landon--well, Landon was not at the top of my list due to its popularity, but it was just HIM) so I feel like I have a lot to live up to. I like uncommon but not totally out-there names. Raelin's name I made up and my hubby picked the spelling. Ryker is after my cousin because it's just an awesome name (I had no idea about Ryker's Island until after he was named--wouldn't have changed my choice though--and while I did love Star Trek as a kid, he's not named after Lt. Riker). Alaina I tweaked from Kalani (my brother lived in Hawaii at the time and that was one of his suggestions). Landon was my hubby's suggestion and Alaina (17 months old at the time) confirmed that it was, in fact, the right name for him.

Now what? 

The name I had picked out for Landon had he been a girl was Ailey (eye-lee) Jessa. I still totally love this name and we'll probably go with it, but on all these name forums I keep seeing so many wonderful names! Now I'm wondering if I want to reopen the girl side of things.

If it's a boy. I'm totally toast. My top pick right now is Quinton and hubby's is Grayson. I also like:

Levi

Sterling

Callum

Brighton

Cullen (stupid Twilight! LOVE this name, can't bring myself to use it)

Lennox (Nox) (but doesn't really work with my last name which starts with S....)

Just not getting that thunderbolt moment.... Still got 6 months though, right!

#128 of 146 Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosomers View Post
Cullen (stupid Twilight! LOVE this name, can't bring myself to use it)

I love Cullen too.  I liked it well BEFORE I had even heard about the Twilight Saga.  I tried to convince my husband that in a few years, Twilight will be a long gone memory and no one of his generation would connect the two.  No luck.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#129 of 146 Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post

DH and I can not agree on names. With DS we didn't have a name for him until he was here.  It works better for us that way because we argue incessantly about it otherwise.  However, for a girl I absolutely LOVE the name Iona. It was my great grandmas name. Everyone called her Ona. 

My husband hates it. 

So, I suggested Ina, nope, hates that one too.

His girl name choices are Coral, and "names that start with A", seriously, that's what he told me. We haven't even started to dicuss boy names because well, I just don't have the energy or the patience.......

:)

Gee....that sounds like us! We disagree on names every time we discuss them. He didn't like ANY of the names I'd picked out that I liked. Finally I said "why don't you pick out names and name a list....and I will PICK from YOUR list!" It's the only civil way I could think of to come to an agreement on one (for each sex). Ugh! Men!!! Lol

Right of Passage likes this.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#130 of 146 Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I personally like the name Jaime (or spelled Jayme as well) for either a boy or a girl. DH hates it.

I also LOVE Gianna Novelle for a girl. He hated that one too.

I liked Aiden for a boy. I THOUGHT we'd agreed on that one a couple of years ago but no....he changed his mind apparently and hates that one too.

He came up with Benjamin for a boy....and after some thought....it started to grow on me.

Our picks (not set in stone....but good runners up for now) are:

Boy - Benjamin H.

Girl - Annika Cari

The H. is his middle name/initial that was passed down from his grandfather who helped deliver him as a baby.....and no one could remember what the H. stood for. Ha! I think it's cool. So does he.

The first name if a girl has to have Ann in it because it's a long running name on my mothers side. And my middle name is Cari (spelled just so) and I like it. It think passing MY name down is nice.

That's what we have for now, but I'm only 4 months.....so we've got a loooong way to go and many discussions to have on names still (DREADS) I'm sure!

We find out the gender in 4 weeks! That will definitely make picking names WAY easier too.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#131 of 146 Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Scrap everything written before.. I soooooooooo knew I was carrying a girl: to be named Sparrow. Wrong! Ok. So, It's a boy! After the shock and rebound of re figuring everything I thought I "knew" (plus- the pink dresser with pink baby clothes was redone witha quickness) I just could not get into the James name that we had decided. It was so boring! Did more and more research, lists and lists of boy names. Every time I spoke to my husband I would toss a few names at him. Poor guy. I could just imagine how he looked forward to those phone calls at work each day! Finally. I found it.The name, rolled it around my head for a day or so. It felt perfect. DH loved it! Score!

Our baby due the first of Feb. 2011 will be named "Oakley" middle English- from the oak tree meadow.

Sweet!

Right of Passage likes this.
#132 of 146 Old 09-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Ditto the twilight thing- grrr. Dh and I can't find a boy name we really like- but we both like Emmett  but we couldn't do it bc of twilight!

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#133 of 146 Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NourishCreate View Post

Ditto the twilight thing- grrr. Dh and I can't find a boy name we really like- but we both like Emmett  but we couldn't do it bc of twilight!

If you like a name you like a name, regardless of everything else. I mean, Emmett was around since long before Twilight. True, it might become more common in a certain age group because of Twilight inspired parents, but...does it matter? Really matter? My little sister is named Michelle, because my mother heard "Michelle, my belle" on the radio and both my mother and my father looked at each other, smiling. They had found the name. So what that it comes from popular culture? Really, it is the single silliest reason not to use a name you like!

#134 of 146 Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NourishCreate View Post

HAHAHA!  When I see Emmett, I think of Back to the Future, not Twilight

I think that makes me sound old.... 2whistle.gif

FWIW, my sister named her son Tristan right around the time "Legends of the Fall" came out, and wow did she catch some criticism for it (though, in her defense, she'd picked the name long before the movie).  Now, Tristans are everywhere... and not many people associate it with that movie.  So maybe you should just use what you like!!  I named my Lil' Man after Nathan Fillion in Firefly, and George Lucas the creator of Star Wars, (final result: Nathaniel Lucas) and only a few people have ever picked up on that (they mostly know my geekiness, too).

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#135 of 146 Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

My baby-name thoughts so far.... any feedback is welcome!!  (Yes, even if you hate it, LOL)

GIRL:

First names

Alyvia (this is a variation of "Olivia"... Anyone who has seen it written so far can't figure out how to say it.)

Alisyn  (variation of Alison)

Marlee

Corrine

Middle names

Raelynn

Rae 

Jayne

Renee

BOY:

First names

Jayson

Corbin

Arryn

Middle names:

Eliot

Eugene

Maurice

Raelynn is my sister's middle name and mine is Rae, both named after my dad, Morris Ray.  Now, oddly, his name at birth was supposed to be Maurice, but it was spelled wrong on the birth certificate, and in 1942, I guess what was on that paper is what you got.  Eugene is another family name.

I have always LOVED Jayson, and was going to name Lil' Man Jayson Corvyn.  But he re-named himself when he was born.

FEEDBACK is awesome!  I have no partner here so any thoughts are welcome!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#136 of 146 Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Well I think we've found a boy name that is going to stick (if its a boy that is): Xavier Christopher.....

And girls....well I'm constantly changing my mind, but my new favorite is: Lyla (husband says no because our niece is Lily)

I also like Felicity, Adella (after my grandmother), Olivia and Clare!

Decisions decisions....

USAF wife knit.gif to DH Chris (10/9/10) hug2.gif, Momma to DS (2/12) babyf.gifintactlact.gif, and expecting another surprise 6/2013 joy.gif

#137 of 146 Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM

I really like Odin. We are considering that for our boy name too. Possibly Odin Solomon (my maiden name). It's hard to come up with a name. I am now considering names that in the beginnning I poo pooed.

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

#138 of 146 Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Location: in a yurt or cabin or tipi out in the woods... or possibly asleep by a fire

Okay, I have a TON of great names coming together... like:

Allin - "All In" I like it written as Allin for a name. Looks cool
Roxas - It fits in with our theme of Zion and Sora. I like it as a middle name and as a girl's first name.
Devo
Rama
Guru
Exodus - I am really warm towards this as a first or last name. 
Fusion - I like this as a first, middle, or last name. 
Creek
Merlin - I like this as a girl's name

MY LIST
Here is the thread I started about "out there" names that I adore. I would post them all here, but I don't want to flood the thread or be spammy.... I would have just posted here I think, but I am still learning about the forum layout and such. We are doing a non-medically assisted (UC) home birth.... bebe is "due" in Feb... we anticipate an Aquarius, but it could be close. I am just a radical momma looking for connection and friendship right now. 
#139 of 146 Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 AM

We have decided on Jonathan (expecting a little boybabyboy.gif) but keeping Juanita in case its a girlwinky.gif... had a friend who had been told she was having a girl, turned out to be a boy!!oops.gif

#140 of 146 Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Ahh! I'm afraid baby is going to be called Baby if we don't find a name soon. Who knew it would be so difficult? I really want a Latin/Hispanic name for our child. However I absolutely do not want a common name. Jose is definitely off the list, followed by Juan, Carlos, Jesus. Too many of those around. DH and I have nice old names that go back centuries, are not common, are Latin, and strong sounding but not too weird. (Javier & Claudia, I laugh to think we'd fit right in in ancient Rome.)

I've combed the internet for Roman names, Greek names, and out of desperation Hindu names. (I find the language to be soft in sound like Spanish). DH named his first child Endihra, after India's first female Prime Minister. It is a beautiful name and works well in Spanish. I'm hoping he'll do the same for our child. Problem is he leaves things for what I consider the last minute, and I, being an architect by profession, am a super planner. I'm anxious about a name to say the least.

Now, if baby is a girl, we both love Hypatia, after the ancient city of Alexandria's famous female mathematician and philosopher. Hypatia Maria Silva. Yes, Maria goes against the common Hispanic name criteria, but its my mother in laws name and I wish to honor her because I find she is such a beautiful caring person.

#141 of 146 Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

I really like Shea also and it is unisex. I haven't shown my thoughts to DH yet and I probably won't for a little while since I'm only 6 weeks 1d along today. I kind of was thinking that I should let DH make his own list from the same source and see if we had any in common. If so, then we have our names. We do both like Ash for a boy (whether it will just be Ash or be short for something I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annadorothy View Post

Names I like:

Phoebe

Mary Shea (Shea as the middle name)

Lily

Dorothy for a middle name (because that's mine..so maybe?)

and I think the name Penelope is cute (Penny for short)..but I know my husband wouldn't go for it!

For a boy, we already know it's going to be Joseph (it's a family name for my husband - Guiseppe) and I like the middle name Paul (after husband) Joseph Paul.. we'll see if the middle name stays.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#142 of 146 Old 12-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Also, DH's mom died in August of 2010, so we will definitely use a J name for the middle name if it is a girl (her name was Jan, short for Janice, but it doesn't quite work for our philosophy) (her name was Jan, short for Janice, but it doesn't quite work for our philosophy) and, possibly,  if it's a boy. 

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#143 of 146 Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Location: in a yurt or cabin or tipi out in the woods... or possibly asleep by a fire

I like Awesome as a name (seriously!), in addition to Sonic, Poppy, Sol, and Sparrow. 

#144 of 146 Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM

If it's a girl: London Stella. 

I have a feeling it's a girl and I will have another chance to find out on Monday when I have a follow up ultrasound. 

If it's a boy, we'll have indecision until he's born, surely, just like we did last time. 

#145 of 146 Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Cousins on DH's side  just had a baby girl and we're waiting on a name from them. In the meantime, it got DH and I talking about it. We aren't even due until July, lol. Sorry for the thread crashing.

#146 of 146 Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM

We finally found out 3 weeks ago that it's absolutely a girl so we are indeed going with Emily Claire Martha.

It's heart-breaking now though because my very dear mother in love passed away yesterday. We never intended the name to be in memory of her(Claire) and I am beyond sanity now because the emotions are rolling over me like a tsunami

brokenheart.gif

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Tags
The Baby Name Wizard A Magical Method For Finding The Perfect Name For Your Baby , Top Ten Tips For Choosing A Babys Name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page