Mothering Forum banner
7K views 145 replies 67 participants last post by  Mamatolea 
#1 ·
I'm starting early because naming is always an epic battle to the end between DH and I. We can never agree. I named our second son because we couldn't agree, so we made a bet and I won! I know I am totally jumping the gun here but I think it's one of the most fun parts or pregnancy. I'll share some of my favs:

I like biblical names. We already have a son with a biblical name, and a son named after his dad. After having a family name, I'm not a fan of them. If I could go back in time I would change it. Having people named the same thing is far too confusing and frustrating!

For boys I like: Micah, Judah, Jonas, Malachi, Julius, Josiah, Milo, Jonah
For girls I like Magdalene, Abigail, Shiloh, Ahdalia or Athalia, Norah

His only suggestion: Collette. And that he hates my top name Micah. It's going to be a looong pregnancy!

Please chip in with some of your favorite potential names for your LO.

#27 ·
I'm definitely thinking about it. Just downloaded a baby name app last night and started browsing. I have a very strong intuition that this is going to be a girl, so I'm mainly looking at girls' names. Boys' names are so much harder, for some reason. I really like Stella and I also like Maricel. Middle name maybe Shirley, for my grandmother. (A name that she changed to.)

#28 ·
It's so funny but I'm not thinking about names at all. Last time I started with names the minute I got a BFP. But, it was such a struggle to find a name that DH and I both loved and I just haven't been ready to start the process again yet (I'm so tired!). And, he was so resistant with thinking about names when I was preg with DD. I was thinking we'd just hold off until we knew the sex.

But the past few days, DH, has been mentioning names every chance he gets. Funny thing too? They all seem to be boy names and I'm (sort of) hoping for another girl!

Laggie, I love the name Magnolia. I hadn't thought of that.

#29 ·
My husband and I are 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow, due date Feb. 2, 2012 and we have brainstormed names and decided on the following:

Boy: Maveric Thomas Scott Lechman (Thomas after my deceased grandfather and Scott is my fathers middle name)

Girl: Makinley Lynn Lechman (Lynn is my middle name, my mother's middle name AND my mother-in-laws middle name)

#31 ·
We've decided on a sweet, simple girls name, but are having a tough time with boy names. Dp doesn't like any of the names I suggest. Some names I like are Tristan, Evan, Logan, Liam, Lucas... Unfortunately L names are out because DPs last name starts with L and the double L names just make me think of Lex Luthor. My son will not be a supervillain! Also, DP HATES Tristan and Evan, so we are stuck for now. At least if we have a girl things are settled!

azgardengirl77 & FrannieM: I am 8w2d today and am due on Jan 31st. So azgardengirl77, you must be 8 weeks today if you are due on Feb 2nd
smile.gif

#36 ·
My Dr.explained to me that she calculates to include the current week, so on Tues when we had our ultrasound she dated us at 7 weeks 5 days which put us as just having completed week 8 today and starting week 9 today. So in theory yes it is 8 weeks if you calculate the weeks completed rather than calculate with the current week. She certainly confused me explaining it during the ultrasound....lol

#38 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardengirl77 View Post

My Dr.explained to me that she calculates to include the current week, so on Tues when we had our ultrasound she dated us at 7 weeks 5 days which put us as just having completed week 8 today and starting week 9 today. So in theory yes it is 8 weeks if you calculate the weeks completed rather than calculate with the current week. She certainly confused me explaining it during the ultrasound....lol
My friends midwife calculates it like that, too! When she was explaining it to me I was like... WHAT?!
nut.gif

#39 ·
My hubby thinks it will be a girl. I have no inkling one way or the other. With DS I *knew* he was going to be a boy even before I got pregnant. DH likes the name Kathryn. It's what DS was going to be named if he was a girl. I am SO over that name. I like names you don't need to shorten-- DS is MIchael, I am Emily, DH is James. We don't go by nicknames, and the only way I can stomach the name Kathryn is if I call her Kate. I will NOT call her Katie, I don't like the "dumbing down" (for lack of a better word) of girls' names. Anyway, if we go with Kathryn, I want the middle name Norah. DH does NOT like that name :shrug. I guess we have our work cut out for us :lol

#40 ·
I love reading everyone's potential names! Great choices. I love old fashioned names. My first name is Violet Rose. I named my daughter Sparrow, no middle name. She is now six years old. I am almost seven weeks along. (Although I am enjoying summer and my pregnancy is going well, I am looking forward to the relieve of making it to the second trimester.) Sparrow's name came to me clear as day. There were sparrow's on my fence looking through my living room window at me while I was pregnant. Sparrow wants to name her little baby sister "Wanda." She doesn't want to even talk about the baby being a boy. She says she'll name him "Nothing." I would love to name this baby after somebody who has been important in my life. I like "Carlyle," my grandpa's name. When I was a kid I wanted to name my girl "Sugaree" and my boy "Coyote." I was a scrappy little hippie kid and now that I'm writing this I don't think I've changed much since my girl's name is Sparrow!

#41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

We just started talking names again tonight. For a girl we're pretty set on Catherine Elizabeth (my Great-Grandmother's and Grandmother's names) but we're kind of clueless for a boy's name this time around. Which is weird because last time (even before we knew we were having a boy) we had all sorts of boy's names we liked but no girl's names.

I think part of the problem is we used up all the "family" boys names we liked on DS. I'm sorry, but I'm not naming my child Fennel, or Everett, or Wesley no matter how much each one of them meant to me. Hmm, although Robert might work (my true Grandfather's name, "Grandpa" was actually technically our step-Grandfather). Also, DS ended up with two middle names (John Thomas) so I'm wondering if we should continue that tradition or just go for one middle name this time 'round.

Quote:

Our rule is absolutely no names that are on the in the provincial top 10 list. Otherwise we like less common but still "normal" names. Yeah, we're boring.
lol.gif
Our second DD's name is Catherine Felicity. We call her Cate.
smile.gif

We're Catholic and name all our kids after saints--Bridget Mary, Catherine Felicity, and Luke Robert. DH and I haven't started discussing names yet, but he tends to defer to me, anyway.
winky.gif

I'm liking "Magdalen(e)", "Adelaide" and "Juliana" for a girl, and "Finnian", "Cyprian" and "Dominic" for a boy.

There's still plenty of time for me to change my mind, though.
orngbiggrin.gif

#43 ·
I think I have officially fallen in love with the name Mischa. (Pronounced Meesh-ah but usually spelled Misha) for a girl or boy. We have a russian last name that it fits well with.

I know DH is on the fence. I want to say I have officially narrowed it down to Mischa or Magdalene for a girl and Micah for a boy (just won't give up on that one and he's finally coming around!)

#44 ·
Just want to say that Ephraim is typically pronounced "Eff-rye-eem" and is a popular Jewish name.

All of these names are so fun to read. I won't even start kicking around names until the 5th month or so...and then we spend the rest of the pregnancy arguing about them. lol.

#45 ·
I'm also liking Orion and Phineas. I'm not sure if pronouncing Orion as O Ryan or O Ryon is correct or which would be used the most. I also have trouble with pronouncing Phineas - I used to have a speech impediment and went to speech therapy for 6 years, so some sounds are tough for me. My DH's rule is that I have to be able to pronounce the name correctly, lol.

#46 ·
I'm looking for an H name for a boy. Both my husband and I came from families that all of the kids had names that started with the same letter, so we did it too ;) We went with the letter H and now that we got my son, we need a new name. We go for 'older' type names (Hannah and Henry is our kids now, and when we picked Hannah we thought it was an old name, not the most popular name that year)... We already have our girl name picked out, but need a new boy name... hubby refuses to name anything that could be shortened (like Harold can be Harry,... I said what about just Harry? and he seemed less than thrilled) .. any ideas?
winky.gif

#47 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb View Post

I'm looking for an H name for a boy. Both my husband and I came from families that all of the kids had names that started with the same letter, so we did it too ;) We went with the letter H and now that we got my son, we need a new name. We go for 'older' type names (Hannah and Henry is our kids now, and when we picked Hannah we thought it was an old name, not the most popular name that year)... We already have our girl name picked out, but need a new boy name... hubby refuses to name anything that could be shortened (like Harold can be Harry,... I said what about just Harry? and he seemed less than thrilled) .. any ideas?
winky.gif
I like Harry, but in this day and age he'll forever be "Harry Potter". Our son's name is Luke and we have gotten our share of Star Wars jokes (only from ours and our parents' generations, though--most of the young'uns today are too far removed to immediately make that connection
winky.gif
).

Hayden is nice (although pretty popular several years ago), Hale, Harrison (although that could also be shortened to Harry, although you can almost shorten ANY name).

#48 ·
Lets see...I know a Herb?

Hector?

Henry is a nice name :)

Quote:

winky.gif

#49 ·
Names I like:

Phoebe

Mary Shea (Shea as the middle name)

Lily

Dorothy for a middle name (because that's mine..so maybe?)

and I think the name Penelope is cute (Penny for short)..but I know my husband wouldn't go for it!

For a boy, we already know it's going to be Joseph (it's a family name for my husband - Guiseppe) and I like the middle name Paul (after husband) Joseph Paul.. we'll see if the middle name stays.

#51 ·
Unfortunately we (I'm) second-guessing our name of Catherine Elizabeth for the simple fact that with William&Kate having gotten married this year it could spawn a lot of Catherines -particularly in Canada. Or it might not be crazy popular. Ugh. I don't know.

For a boy's name I think we probably will use Robert in there somewhere, probably as a middle name with Everett (ie. Robert Everett)

At the moment first names on the list are: Graysen (I quite like, DH not so much), Julian, Ian, Simon or Andrew.

Quote:

I'm looking for an H name for a boy. . any ideas?
winky.gif
Hudson? Hank? Howard? Hugh?

Hadley

Hale

Hank

Hans

Hardy

Harper

Harrington

Harris

Harvey

Hawkin

Hawksley

Hayden

Heath

Hector

Holden

Holt

Houston

Howard

Huck

Hunter

Holden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.