Anyone already brainstorming names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 146 Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm starting early because naming is always an epic battle to the end between DH and I. We can never agree. I named our second son because we couldn't agree, so we made a bet and I won! I  know I am totally jumping the gun here but I think it's one of the most fun parts or pregnancy. I'll share some of my favs: 

I like biblical names. We already have a son with a biblical name, and a son named after his dad. After having a family name, I'm not a fan of them. If I could go back in time I would change it. Having people named the same thing is far too confusing and frustrating!

For boys I like: Micah, Judah, Jonas, Malachi, Julius, Josiah, Milo, Jonah 
For girls I like Magdalene, Abigail, Shiloh, Ahdalia or Athalia, Norah 

His only suggestion: Collette. And that he hates my top name Micah. It's going to be a looong pregnancy! 

Please chip in with some of your favorite potential names for your LO. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#2 of 146 Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM

We decided a long time ago on names...

Adalaine Katherine  and Milo William

Megan--wife to DAKS geek.gif
Our rainbow1284.gif Baby "Cupcake" arrived 1/31/12

#3 of 146 Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM

If its a girl her name will be Calliope Jane, Calliope Mae, or Calliope Elizabeth. I like Calliope Jane smile.gif We will call her Calli for short. We really like how the names Ada and Calli sound together. Calliope has a special meaning for us, since DH has worked on steamboats and several of our favorite memories together have been us listening to the Calliope playing. We both love the name. And if we both love it, it stays. We did not find many names that we both loved last time.

For a boy, we seriously went to the hospital last time with the decision made that if the baby was a boy, it would be named Max Danger (rhymes with) Kohler. That is how much we could not agree on a boy's name. eyesroll.gif

DH's top picks are:
Briar (too thorny)
Boon (it means "gift" but COME ON...we live in Kentucky. It will forever be spelled Boone and every person the child meets will laugh because he's not wearing a coon hat)
Charles (after his uncle, I like this one)

My top picks:
Max (so, Danger was really the only joke part)
Kenton (DH's middle name)
Emerson

I like Charles Kenton.

So, we will be needing advice about boy names.

Our rule is no first names on the social security list top 500 and one name has to be very very uncommon upon birth. Basically, one weird name, one normal name. DD is Adaline Sarah.

We never really did the career "test" on her, but for new mama's, here it is:

Dr. Adaline Sarah "Kohler"
Miss Adaline Sarah Kohler
Adaline Sarah Kohler, attny at law

Calliope Jane doesnt work as well on that test, but hey, if she wants to be a doctor bad enough and she doesnt think her name is worthy, name changes arent that expensive.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 146 Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 PM

nice names, you guys.  I have not the beginning of a clue.  I am a Dutch speaking Belgian, and my husband is an American born Indian, so the name could go either way and should work in both languages.  Also, naming seems like a huge responsibility.  Eek!  I don't think we will think about it for awhile.  

Taqah likes this.
#5 of 146 Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 AM

The girl names seem to be easier to agree on for some reason.  If we have a girl we will call her Caroline (Carly) Mary.  As for the boy, that is always changing.  Back when we were pregnant with Lily we had chosen the name Nathaniel (Nate) Frederick, but now it has chilled on me.  Currently I am voting for Benjamin (Ben) Frederick, but DH goes hot and cold on that one.

I am going to try and not discuss it until after we find out the sex around 20 weeks...maybe we will have another girl and then the point will be moot. thumb.gif

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#6 of 146 Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 AM

We started looking last night because this baby was a surprise. I haven't found that beautiful unique name we are looking for yet, but we never really decide until about 6 months in.

#7 of 146 Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Great name choices! I can't believe some of you already have definite choices!! My husband is so hard to pick names with, I'm sure it'll be a while. I'm feeling very "boy" with this baby so I'm not even getting too excited about girl names... but then again with preg #2 I only picked girl names and had a boy. :) 

Also, I love the name Emerson! My best friend's son is named Emerson, so I am always partial to that name :) Love it! 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#8 of 146 Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 AM

We're a bit crazy, but we chose 2 girl names and 2 boy names before my first pregnancy! All we have left to choose is the middle names! We are french canadian, so it has to sound good in french and ideally in english too. DD's name is Clémentine Cora and the new baby will be Alice or Nathaniel. So far, we like Jack as a middle name for a boy, but have no clue for a girl! We like old names and my grandmother thinks it's terrible blahblah.gif

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#9 of 146 Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM

We have our girl name picked out: Seraphina. Its derived from Seraphim, the highest ranking angel in Judeo-Christian mythology. We love the idea of it since this will be our rainbow baby. I want to pick out a similar meaning for a boy name. So far, I really like Zeno, which means Zeus.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 146 Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM

My dear beloved grandmother's name was Serafima, and it's my oldest daughter's middle name. I love your pick!!

#11 of 146 Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM

We are in debate stage of name picking, and I can tell this is going to be a hard one:) I really like Saoul for boy (my DD hates it), and for girls names we have Maria and Lilya (can't say I'm in love with either).

#12 of 146 Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM

My mom died last year so we are using her name if it's a girl, her name was Bonnie... not sure if it would be the first or middle name though.boy- I like the name Ephraim (Eff-ram) but I am sure a lot of people wont (good thing I dont really care ha!) ...all of my kids have two middle names so who knows what will happen there.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#13 of 146 Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Ha we just found out Alice is in the top 10 in our province... We're not sure if we're gonna keep it or not! My second choice, Olivia, is also in the top ten! I just feel in love with Fiona, but my partner doesn't like it as much as I do... Oh well! shrug.gif

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#14 of 146 Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM

We just started talking names again tonight. For a girl we're pretty set on Catherine Elizabeth (my Great-Grandmother's and Grandmother's names) but we're kind of clueless for a boy's name this time around. Which is weird because last time (even before we knew we were having a boy) we had all sorts of boy's names we liked but no girl's names.

I think part of the problem is we used up all the "family" boys names we liked on DS. I'm sorry, but I'm not naming my child Fennel, or Everett, or Wesley no matter how much each one of them meant to me. Hmm, although Robert might work (my true Grandfather's name, "Grandpa" was actually technically our step-Grandfather). Also, DS ended up with two middle names (John Thomas) so I'm wondering if we should continue that tradition or just go for one middle name this time 'round.

Quote:

Our rule is no first names on the social security list top 500 and one name has to be very very uncommon upon birth. Basically, one weird name, one normal name.

Our rule is absolutely no names that are on the in the provincial top 10 list. Otherwise we like less common but still "normal" names. Yeah, we're boring. lol.gif

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#15 of 146 Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatia View Post

Ha we just found out Alice is in the top 10 in our province... We're not sure if we're gonna keep it or not! My second choice, Olivia, is also in the top ten! I just feel in love with Fiona, but my partner doesn't like it as much as I do... Oh well! shrug.gif

I love all those names, Legatia!

#16 of 146 Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post

My mom died last year so we are using her name if it's a girl, her name was Bonnie... not sure if it would be the first or middle name though.boy- I like the name Ephraim (Eff-ram) but I am sure a lot of people wont (good thing I dont really care ha!) ...all of my kids have two middle names so who knows what will happen there.

hm.. you're still in GA, honey.. i think that is pronounced EEEEEE- from.  lol.   And i love it. 

we've talked about all sorts of names that must be arranged around the middle name of Buck.  (Long story/family name)  I am not in love with it but i am going to go along with it since i "got" to name dd after my grandma (and that name is one that might make people cringe but it's totally appropriate and adorable for dd )  :) 

so far:

Mae Buck

Kevin Buck

Adell Buck

Corrine Buck

Giulia/Julia Buck (dh doesn't like it but i do)

I also really like Ida, Ina, or Ila as a first name, but DH does not.  He's also pretty sold on the Kevin but I'm having to lobby real hard to convince him that there. is. no. way. we are doing an irish spelling of that name.  no.  no one can spell our last name as it is. 

and i have actually had to say: "NO we are not naming the baby the same thing you named the dog.  no.  not that either."  uhoh3.gif

Probably our last baby; i am halfway wishing for twins just so i get to use ONE MORE NAME that i like ;) 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#17 of 146 Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Right now we have a few names on our list...we are also french canadians so.... of course french names... we like Justine for a girl and Olivier for a boy... I also like Stella or Lola , Alice, Alexis, Maxime but DH not so much...we'll see if I can come up with anything else...

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#18 of 146 Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM

We've had names for awhile so unless DC arrives and absolutely doesn't fit the name we're set.

Son: Kruger Daniel. Kruger is DH's maternal grandfather's name. Daniel is family name - DH's middle, my oldest brother's middle, my paternal uncle's name. 

Daughter: Poppy Muse. Both names honor grandmothers. My mother is a red-head so Poppy is to signify that. DH's mother's maiden name is Muse. 

Neutral Name: Still working on one

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#19 of 146 Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memz View Post

Right now we have a few names on our list...we are also french canadians so.... of course french names... we like Justine for a girl and Olivier for a boy... I also like Stella or Lola , Alice, Alexis, Maxime but DH not so much...we'll see if I can come up with anything else...

I love Lola...my younger one's name is Lolita but we call her Lola for short. Maxime was my choice for a boy as well, but DH doesn't like it.

Good choices!!

#20 of 146 Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM

We've decided on our names already. If we have a girl, she will be Ella Rose. If we have a boy, he will be Oliver Sebastian.

Early childhood teacher TTC #1 after 3 early losses ribbonpb.gif.ribbonpb.gifribbonpb.gif My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/Tickletoes

My blog: http://mappingoutmotherhood.blogspot.com/

#21 of 146 Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I like Jasper and Maggie (Magnolia). But I think they are both better child names than adult names... DP likes Jasper but he's from Holland and apparently it's a fairly common name there. I think my family would hate it.

I have a short list but every time I write something down it seems stupid a week later. I'm not sure if that is self doubt or if I just haven't found the right names yet.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#22 of 146 Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that both our families are going to hate our names! Ha, oh well, its not their baby. My cousin just named her daughter Brooklyn which is the exact opposite of the style I like: Zeno, Apollo, Saber...weird names. :)

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#23 of 146 Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 AM

We like Immy, Lola, and Stella for a girl. nothing for a boy...and I'm really feeling boy this time.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#24 of 146 Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM

We decided on names already Sabre Thomas Gray or Sorral Danielle Kay (Sora) we shall see..... joy.gif

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#25 of 146 Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM

We are tossing around some names now. Some girl ideas: Faye, Hazel, Leanne, Greta/Gretchen, Robin..... this will take some pondering.  :)  Boys... also hard.  William was our choice for our 2 daughters, but it doesn't seem to fit anymore, especially since SIL just used it as a middle name.  Rowan is our first pick, but my sister wouldn't take it well since she has a Ryan and we already have one set of rhyming kids between us.  We loved the sound of Cohen, especially since I'm jewish by nationality, but found out it's offensive to people of Jewish faith, and I wouldn't want to do that.  I don't have anything else at the moment.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#26 of 146 Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

This baby's name is either Deborah Kathleen or Dalton Elwood. 

Deborah was DH's cousin that died in a house fire when she was a little kid, Kathleen is my MIL. (I <3 <3 <3 my MIL)

We just both like Dalton, and Elwood is Mark's maternal grandfather.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#27 of 146 Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm definitely thinking about it. Just downloaded a baby name app last night and started browsing. I have a very strong intuition that this is going to be a girl, so I'm mainly looking at girls' names. Boys' names are so much harder, for some reason. I really like Stella and I also like Maricel. Middle name maybe Shirley, for my grandmother. (A name that she changed to.)

#28 of 146 Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 AM

It's so funny but I'm not thinking about names at all.  Last time I started with names the minute I got a BFP.  But, it was such a struggle to find a name that DH and I both loved and I just haven't been ready to start the process again yet (I'm so tired!).  And, he was so resistant with thinking about names when I was preg with DD.    I was thinking we'd just hold off until we knew the sex. 

But the past few days, DH, has been mentioning names every chance he gets.  Funny thing too?  They all seem to be boy names and I'm (sort of) hoping for another girl! 

Laggie, I love the name Magnolia.  I hadn't thought of that. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#29 of 146 Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 PM

My husband and I are 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow, due date Feb. 2, 2012 and we have brainstormed names and decided on the following:

Boy:  Maveric Thomas Scott Lechman  (Thomas after my deceased grandfather and Scott is my fathers middle name)

Girl:  Makinley Lynn Lechman  (Lynn is my middle name, my mother's middle name AND my mother-in-laws middle name)

#30 of 146 Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 AM

azgardengirl77 - I think one of us is calculating wrong!  :)  My due date is also 2-2-2012... but I am EIGHT weeks pregnant today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardengirl77 View Post

My husband and I are 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow, due date Feb. 2, 2012 a

Tags
The Baby Name Wizard A Magical Method For Finding The Perfect Name For Your Baby , Top Ten Tips For Choosing A Babys Name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page