First appointment with my midwife! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She just called me (at work!!!)  On June 20th, just at about 7.5 weeks.  Woohoo!

#2 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 AM

So exciting!  I loved my apts. with my MW when I was pregnant with Lily and am very much looking forward to them during this pregnancy. 

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#3 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

hmm, i just found out they don't do ultrasounds at this appointment though, i need to be referred to an ob/gyn and it only happens at 12 weeks.  BUMMERZ.

When are you all's first ultrasounds?

#4 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM

My first appt with my MW is June 29. My mom will be here and will get to meet her and heart the hb. I'm really looking forward to it, of course. My MW is AWESOME and I totally missed her for the last year. :)

My MW doesn't do u/s, either, and we didn't get any with my daughter. But... I'm kinda thinking I might want to do one this time around... 

What is the normal timing of them? If you only do one, when would that be?

#5 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Im planning to UC, but I am going to see an OB for my prenatal care. My first appointment wont be until sometime towards the end of June.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 PM

I just made my first appointment for June 21.  I will be around 8-9 weeks and that is when I think I should go in...just to do a little piece of mind.  Because of the miscarriage I had in January, I just want to go in and be sure that all is well.  Then we'll probably start telling people.

With DD, I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks...that was it.  They told us that it was a girl and they were 100% positive.  They were right!  I think that is about the normal time period, unless they suspect something sooner.

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#7 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM

So, I guess Im a bit confused. I called my OB and they made me an appointment for July 13. They dont schedule until 8-10 weeks. By my calculations, on July 13 I will be 11 weeks. Is that right? LMP was April 23, Conception was May 4th. http://www.pregnology.com/faralong.php?month=2&day=01&year=2012

Should I call back, and or just let it go? Im not trying to get an early ultrasound in order to have them give me a correct edd, because I know exactly when I ovulated and when we had sex, so I have a pretty good idea. Plus, DD measured small the entire time I was pregnant last time, and the edd that the ultrasound gave was a full 4 weeks later than I knew it to be. No complaints, because you are never pressured for induction or anything if their date is later than yours smile.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Montana mama,

For me, it would really depend on why I wanted the ultrasound.

If you are wanting an ultrasound (and you are only getting one) for:

Having the baby measured to get an edd from the OB: 8-12 weeks
Knowing the sex: between 18-22 weeks
Getting a cute pic for your baby book and making sure everything is a go: 32-36 weeks

I had several ultrasounds with DD because there was an issue with kidney formation (solved itself). This time I only want 2. One at 20 weeks and one at 38 weeks. DD turned breech on me at 36 weeks last time, and I had no idea until we looked at the ultrasound. We'd had one two weeks before to check her kidneys, and then she turned around.

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies seem to want to reduce the amounts of ultrasounds you get... whereas for me, I am excited to have one!  I want to see what's going on in there!  Is it because it is my first maybe?

#10 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Some people want to reduce the amount of u/s because it is unclear if how safe u/s are for the baby.  Yes, it is neat to see the baby, but for many people that neatness does not outweigh the potential risks.   Also, late u/s are more and more used to push interventions, inductions and c-sections on patients- the "big baby" problem, even though they are highly inaccurate that late in the game.  

I personally think 2-3 u/s are an acceptable. I understand why some need to have an early u/s for dating reasons...some people have very erratic cycles.  However, I am talking about people who really need it...not folks who have regular cycles and want to know their EDD down to the day.  That is just silly because the EDD is an estimate for a reason.  I think late u/s are tricky and overused for non-medical reasons like the "big baby" scare.  As for the folks who have u/s every week for non-medical reasons, don't even get me started on that one. 

In my last pregnancy I had one at 12 weeks (NT scan)  and one around 18 weeks (big u/s).  I would like to do that again with this pregnancy, but I am not sure if my homebirth MW offers the NT scan. I will be asking her next week. 

My SIL did have a late one this week after she hit 42 weeks.  I don't blame her and am glad that it gave her comfort to stick out the wait.  Her water broke yesterday and I am assuming that she will probably have the baby today- at 43 weeks exactly- just like I did with Lily. :) 

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#11 of 15 Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

I see.  

I think I have to worry less about high intervention as it is not the norm here in the NL.  I think 2-3 ultrasounds is standard for a pregnancy.  

But I am still excited to see the baby the first time :)

#12 of 15 Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieM View Post

I see.  

I think I have to worry less about high intervention as it is not the norm here in the NL.  I think 2-3 ultrasounds is standard for a pregnancy.  

But I am still excited to see the baby the first time :)

It is VERY exciting.  I LOVED seeing Lily that first time and still have the photos. :)

#13 of 15 Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Yes -- my baby was breech, too. The MW could tell by feeling. We didn't know her sex until she was born (via c/s)!

I've been thinking about finding out the sex with this one, though. We'll see...

#14 of 15 Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 PM

Just made my appointment today @ Midwifery Center, they also will not see me before 8-10 weeks in. I'm scheduled for July 15th...( conception date for us was May 18th)...but I better trust them if they are delivering my baby!:) I was also informed that they will perform my first ultrasound then.

I guess I will stay put and start taking my prenatals!

#15 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm so excited, I just got a phone call that I was accepted as a client by the local midwifery practice. I'm really glad I called so early. My first appointment is June 16, so I'll be 5 weeks exactly. The office manager told me to expect the first appointment to take about 1.5 hours, what a difference from going to an obstetrician.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page