what are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey fellow Feb-12-ers,

I'm wondering what resources you are reading? Websites/books etc. This is going to be our first and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with what I don't know or understand yet. I have the mayo clinic book and the babycenter app on my phone, but that's it for the time being (oh, and this website too obviously!)

Also, any other first-timers out there? I see we have many people who are already moms- which is great, providing guidance to us total newbies!!

Daurelia

Happily married for 5 years. Tried for our first baby 6/2011, got preg right away, and miscarried. Took a 4 month break, and then had nothing but infertility & a few early miscarriages until 12/2012 when we learned I had a lumpy edge in my uterus. Doc removed it and now we are trying again....

#2 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm a doula and childbirth educator in training, so I'll pick back up the books I need to read for certification. I stopped reading them when I miscarried in December. Here are the books I recommend, and an app I really like.

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn

Birthing From Within

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

"         " Guide to Breastfeeding

iPregnancy App on iPhone

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! these look great.

Happily married for 5 years. Tried for our first baby 6/2011, got preg right away, and miscarried. Took a 4 month break, and then had nothing but infertility & a few early miscarriages until 12/2012 when we learned I had a lumpy edge in my uterus. Doc removed it and now we are trying again....

#4 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM

I second Ina May and Birthing from Within. I also enjoyed reading some fiction about pregnancy -- Little Earthquakes was good. And I found it relieving to read stuff that wasn't about being pregnant! I definitely felt like there were times when I put too much energy and focus into doing pregnancy "right" instead of other stuff. It was nice to just read something that wasn't about babies for a change!

#5 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 AM

I loved Ina Mays Guide- so empowering! 

I also thought the "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer was excellent. 

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#6 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

I loved (and will review them this time as well)

The Birth Partner
From the Hips (I really like the style this one is done in, it gives a lot of different opinions)
Our Bodies, Ourselves guide to Pregnancy and Birth
Homebirth in the Hospital
and Ina May's
Guide to Childbirth
Spiritual Midwifery
Guide to Breastfeeding

This time Id like to read some Midwifery textbooks.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM

The Birth Partner was great! My husband and I both read it.

#8 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Hypnobirthing and that's it, this is my 6th baby and I'm just going with it. I think breastfeeding books are a must have though the good ones like "so thats what they're for, and  "the womanly art of breastfeeding" it helps to start early

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#9 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 PM

wow! thanks for all the recommendations ladies! my amazon cart is too full :)

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#10 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Those are all great books! I have read them all so many times I know them by heart. I picked up a new book and I am loving it so far, Skinny Bitch, Bun in the Oven. If you want something irreverent, straight to the point and funny, try this one.

#11 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Is anyone familiar with _The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices_ by Aviva Romm? 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#12 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM

I bought my DH the Expectant Father last time around and he likes it! I like it because it supports Doulas. :)

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#13 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM

BUMP  shy.gif  Just wondering if anyone has picked up anything sensational lately?

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#14 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

Is anyone familiar with _The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices_ by Aviva Romm? 

I LOVE this book!!!! It was great to have as a reference during my first pregnancy and I've pulled it out again for this time. :)

adorabelle likes this.

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

#15 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Dr. Sarah Buckley. I love this book <3

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#16 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

i think i overdid the birth books last time around.  i've picked up spiritual midwifery again, though. 

i also remember reading louise erdrich's the blue jay's dance last time-- it's not a birth book or anything, just a really sweet memoir kind of thing.  a pretty good read to alternate with the birthing books.  i'd recommend that one.  i like her stuff in general, though, except for the very last novel she's written. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#17 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Im planning to reread Spiritual Midwifery and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and for the first time read her new book Birth Matters!

For breastfeeding moms I highly suggest her book, Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding if you find The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to be overwhelming. I read both and I got the general info I needed from Ina May's book. I keep womanly art as an encyclopedia though.

Im reading tons of birth stories on MDC right now as an alternative to getting new books. I think my third trimester will be all books all the time though- it will be cold and thats when I like to read.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#18 of 19 Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM

I loved Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  I'm thinking I will want to pick it up again in my last trimester.  I really felt that it prepared me for round 2, and it made the contractions easier to cope with.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#19 of 19 Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 PM

I just got The Mother of all Pregnancy books and I LOVE it!  So much better than What to Expect, for my needs.  I wanted the statistics, the raw numbers, and this book has a whole section in the back with just numbers.  I just like the tone better. It's helping to calm me down :)

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page