What will you do differently? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going for a VBAC, so I know (for sure!) some things that I'm going to do differently. 

1. Less food indulgence. Seriously. I am too embarrassed to admit to the junky food I was eating with wild abandon last time around. There was no need for that and, I believe, that led to my having a 10lb 10oz baby. I mean, crazy food. 

2. Buy less stuff. There's only so much a new baby really needs. 

3. More yoga...because why not? 

4. More kegels...doin' em now! 

What about you? If this is your second (or third, fourth, etc...) pregnancy, what are you going to do differently?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 AM

This is my FIRST pregnancy so I am actually ready to laugh at myself about all my good intentions going to pot :)

As of right now I am still eating really well, and going to the gym and running/lifting/boxing etc. regularly.   I am pretty tired in the evenings!  I haven't had any junk food cravings, though I am starving for food all the time.

So.. what is on your list to purchase this time around?  What DOES a little baby actually need?

#3 of 21 Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayxday View Post

I'm going for a VBAC, so I know (for sure!) some things that I'm going to do differently. 

1. Less food indulgence. Seriously. I am too embarrassed to admit to the junky food I was eating with wild abandon last time around. There was no need for that and, I believe, that led to my having a 10lb 10oz baby. I mean, crazy food. 

OMG ME TOO.  only your baby was even bigger than my 10 lb dd!  i totally did the crazy food.  i never ever never eat fast food and am morally opposed to it, but that didn't stop me from eating a chicken sandwich every other day. 

also, i think i am actually going to buy MORE stuff this time around rather than less (except for the diapers-- already got 'em!)  i didn't want monitors or a stroller or whatever then.  i have already started making a registry so i don't forget what i need... hahaha! 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 21 Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM

I think I worried a fair amount last time, especially in the first trimester. This time I am working to stay positive and trust that whatever happens is ultimately in my highest good. I started listening to daily affirmation cds and they seem to be helping much. I am soooo much calmer this time. 

My other goal so far is to do daily nettles infusions. So many important nutrients, and it gives me energy too. 

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#5 of 21 Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 AM

I could have written your post! Lol! winky.gif I too am trying for a VBAC after a large baby, 10 lbs, 5 oz.  I was just talking to my midwife about it and we both think I ate way too much sugar and junk last time around.  I was seeing an ob for my last pregnancy and he never said a word about my diet or all the weight I gained, 90lbs, but I had crazy swelling from high blood pressure.  So my goal this time is not to gain as much weight, as little as is healthy.  I'm cutting out all sugar, going non-fat/low fat dairy and meat, and holding back on the carbs. 

I want to exercise more this time around! I had bad morning sickness last time, it hasn't hit me yet this time and then the high blood pressure so I never felt up to exercising.  So far I have been walking every night with dh and ds and I feel great!broc1.gif

I hear ya on buying less! We totally overbought for ds, and recently sold everything we never used, changing table, crib, glider, extra clothes, ect. We won't need to buy anything unless it's a girl. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayxday View Post

2. Buy less stuff. There's only so much a new baby really needs. 

3. More yoga...because why not? 

4. More kegels...doin' em now! 

What about you? If this is your second (or third, fourth, etc...) pregnancy, what are you going to do differently?

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#6 of 21 Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Be more relaxed and stop acting like I'm crippled or sick even if people make me feel like I am! so I'm gonna continue wearing my LO and lift grocery bags, as long as I feel like I can do it! Also, I'd like to try prenatal yoga this time! I did pranatal aquafitness the first time and it was nice, but I want to try something different this time!

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#7 of 21 Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM

I've got to find me some pre-natal yoga!  I'm not a huge yogi in general, but all my friends that did yoga during their pregnancies had great labors last time... I loved mine, too, but - and this is totally anecdotal - they went two weeks "early" and I went two weeks "late".  That's a whole extra month of pregnancy and stretch marks, my friends.  (But yes, yes, ultimately I trust my baby will come when s/he is ready.)

#8 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjt View Post

I've got to find me some pre-natal yoga!  I'm not a huge yogi in general, but all my friends that did yoga during their pregnancies had great labors last time... I loved mine, too, but - and this is totally anecdotal - they went two weeks "early" and I went two weeks "late".  That's a whole extra month of pregnancy and stretch marks, my friends.  (But yes, yes, ultimately I trust my baby will come when s/he is ready.)

I found this wonderful website--yogaglo dot com, they have monthly membership that's just 18 dollars and unlimited yoga videos (actual videos of classes in NYC studio) that get updated all the time so you don't get bored! We live in isolated area, so this was truly a great find!!

Good luck!!

#9 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Oh, great to know, coastGirl, thanks!

#10 of 21 Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 AM

I am going to workout more during this pregnancy so I go into labor strong and healthy...I am also going to be constant with yoga!

I am going to eat 80-100 grams of protein a day from the beginning of my pregnancy instead of starting halfway through (my BP was high around 28 weeks and this "diet" brought it down) and avoid eating very much crap.  

I am going to do everything I can to prevent having another posterior baby...even if it means I have to sit in uncomfortable positions my whole third trimester.

I am going to be patient when my baby goes past 40, 41, and 42 weeks.  I had Lily at 43 and did everything natural under the sun to encourage labor and none of it worked.  This time there will be none of that.  I will just be patient. 

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#11 of 21 Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 AM

I will have natural birth and will use midwifes. I'm also hoping to be brave enough for water birth! My two children were born at the hospital, one induced with epidural (due to complete lack of guidance), but now I know better. To be honest I am scared of the pain but determined to do the best I could do for my baby. I am also planning to breastfeed for much longer than a year (with my last one people shamed me into quitting saying my DD is getting too old).

#12 of 21 Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

1. I will be having a midwife with a planned HBAC. My first pregnancy was very typical US OB care that led to a fear-induced induction, which I knew would result in a csection since my body had shown no signs of being ready.

2. I will not indulge myself this time. Everyone kept telling me I was pregnant and to indulge my cravings. Well, I craved very unhealthy foods and ate as such. I'm already eating differently and am craving lots of protein already and averse to high-sugar currently as well. In fact, I've been this way since around conception so my body is obviously telling me something. 

3. I will continue exercising throughout my pregnancy (unless a complication arises). I let my first trimester fatigue and depression stop me from taking care of myself my last pregnancy, which only made me feel worse about myself. Vicious cycle. I had started training in early June to run the St Jude Half-Marathon in early December. Instead, I'll just keep training to run a 5K each month until I have to walk them. LOL. So, I'll walk the St. Jude 5K instead of running the half-marathon. 

I think those really cover all my changes in a nutshell.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#13 of 21 Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm not going to gain 40 pounds!

I'm going to avoid the hospital at all costs, and I'm going to let my wishes be heard.

I have already changed out a lot of things in my life. I'm now married to a wonderful and supportive person, and he is thrilled I'm pregnant. This is already a huge contrast from my first.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#14 of 21 Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Be healthier! Eat healthier, especially, I downed the sugar last time. It took my 9 or 10 months to shed the 40lbs I put on and I don't want to have to go through that. I'm going to continue running as much as possible too.

Take more herbs to support my health (mental and physical).

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#15 of 21 Old 06-18-2011, 05:12 PM

yippiehippie,

What kinds of herbs? Do you see an herbalist or do you know a lot about naturopathy? 

#16 of 21 Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamama1 View Post

yippiehippie,

What kinds of herbs? Do you see an herbalist or do you know a lot about naturopathy? 

I've learned a lot in the last few years, and am the leader of my local Holistic Moms Network, so am always seeking out more info. I just went to a talk about pregnancy herbs the day before I found out so learned a lot there. Good idea for another thread;)

For now I've ordered RRL, fennel, motherwort, chamomile, lemon balm and have others recommended for different times/needs (for example, St. Johns Wort to help labor pains). Also more homeopathy; a mix called Guna Fem for mood regulation, Nux vomica for morning sickness, I'm sure there's more. I wish I could have everything on hand, but it's expensive building a "medicine" cabinet! I can't wait till I can grow my own, there is so much!

My next HMN meeting I'm having another herbalist come to talk about every day health complaints:) I'm addicted!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#17 of 21 Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Eating a nutrient dense WAPF diet.  with #1 I did "organic" low-fat, not what a growing baby needs (!)       Drinking lots of whole milk now and eating lots of butter.    

Also doing more herbs-  i've been doing RRL/nettle/red clover infusions (mostly RRL)

I'm going to have a midwife with this one, had an OB with #1

Gonna have a homebirth with this one,  #1 was hospital.

Sleeping more :) since I know what it is like to have a kid- I know how precious sleep is while I can still get it. 

I exercised a lot more with #1, so I hope I can at least go on walks and do yoga intermittently this time.

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#18 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastaGal View Post

I will have natural birth and will use midwifes. I'm also hoping to be brave enough for water birth! My two children were born at the hospital, one induced with epidural (due to complete lack of guidance), but now I know better. To be honest I am scared of the pain but determined to do the best I could do for my baby. I am also planning to breastfeed for much longer than a year (with my last one people shamed me into quitting saying my DD is getting too old).

seems like if you were REALLY brave you would just go completely primal, unassisted and out of the water or if you were CRAZY SUPER brave you would go to the hospital. dont be afraid of waterbirth.....

#19 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM

1. No midwife, unless I feel the need, I'm UP/UC
2. More consistent with the pregnancy tea
3. I'm working this time so that's way different
4. uh, not much.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#20 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM

drink more water

more exercise

sleep more - After my 2nd was born I was kicking myself in the ass for not taking more naps alone with the 1st.God knows there is no sleep once baby comes.

not rush it - I can be really impatient, especially towards the end of ,my pregnancy, but just really want to enjoy my children at their current ages and us being a trio for the next 8 mo.

go natural! This will be my first natural birth and at home to boot. I'm very excited about it all.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#21 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM

also,thanks for that link coastagal! Our local prenatal yoga is SO expensive, and although I totally enjoy it, it really kills me to spend money on it.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page