the health check thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

for fun, if you want to share info as you get it or upcoming things like dr appointments, centering groups and the like! 

for me:

i got my bloodwork back, and didn't want to do a whole thread to myself when i can read all about everybody's visits in one place! 

my hcg, progesterone, and thryroid stuff looks good so far: hcg at 482, progesterone at 22.7 and thyroid 'normal.'  i am relieved w/the progesterone results, as it's much less likely to be another ectopic at that level.  the hcg looked low to me but the nurse said for my estimated dates, it's spot on.  so far so good.  got an ultrasound a week from today (next tues. the 14th.)  so, good news for now!  joy.gif

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Ok I'll play smile.gif

I'm 6 weeks and had my 2nd ultrasound last week to check for another ectopic. They saw the eggy's in the right place this time so good news for me too! They want me to come in again for another u/s this week which seems a little excessive so I haven't decided if I should just wait.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#3 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

for fun, if you want to share info as you get it or upcoming things like dr appointments, centering groups and the like! 

for me:

i got my bloodwork back, and didn't want to do a whole thread to myself when i can read all about everybody's visits in one place! 

my hcg, progesterone, and thryroid stuff looks good so far: hcg at 482, progesterone at 22.7 and thyroid 'normal.'  i am relieved w/the progesterone results, as it's much less likely to be another ectopic at that level.  the hcg looked low to me but the nurse said for my estimated dates, it's spot on.  so far so good.  got an ultrasound a week from today (next tues. the 14th.)  so, good news for now!  joy.gif

Just chiming in with a question...why the ultrasound next week already?  Looking for anything in particular?

I have my first appointment on June 21.  I am very excited, but excitement is mixed with nerves as well.  Praying all is well for all of us!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#4 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by :loveher: View Post

Just chiming in with a question...why the ultrasound next week already?  Looking for anything in particular?

I have my first appointment on June 21.  I am very excited, but excitement is mixed with nerves as well.  Praying all is well for all of us!

my first pregnancy was an ectopic.  they like to keep a close eye on you in the early days if you've ever had one.. your chances are slightly higher of a repeat.  it is too early of a date for an u/s for most mamas, though. 

#5 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Hildare,

I figured there was something going on.  Most don't do them until later, if any at all.  How exciting though!!  I always loved to see what was going on in there:)

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#6 of 111 Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I have seen my midwife once so far for HCG levels, which were great. This is a pregnancy after 2 mc for me. I probably wont check the levels again because I wait and obsess and if I was going to lose the baby there isn't much I can do. But I do feel preg symptoms this time around and I didn't with my losses, so I'm trying to take comfort in that. 

I have my first prenatal appt on the 23th just to start the whole process. She'll probably do a quick U/S to check the baby and the normal blood pressure/weight/etc stuff. I've already had labs drawn... so yay for that!! 2 weeks is soo long to wait! 2whistle.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#7 of 111 Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM

My first appointment is with my midwife on June 20th, I will be almost 8 weeks by then.  The appointment will last one hour.  They tell me they will check:  "We will then inform to your health, any previous pregnancies and births and regulate a blood test at the laboratory where the blood is tested for blood group, Rhesus factor, irregular antibodies, iron deficiency, sugar and some infections (rubella, HIV, hepatitis B and syphilis). We will then also inform you about the possibility of prenatal testing on request. Furthermore, we measure your blood pressure and determine your weight. Blood pressure control will be taken every time you have an appointment at our practice. Of course there always will be room for questions. Your partner, family and friends are very welcome. We will also tell you how to arrange maternity assistance. Everyone in the Netherlands is obliged to register at a maternity assistance company."

Then at 12 weeks I go to an OB for an ultrasound.  I dont think we do too many u/s in the NL.

I think I have another midwife appointment at 16 weeks, and another OB (u/s) appointment at 20 weeks.  

Also there is an "info evening" at 9 weeks which is a big group session about prenatal and maternity care etc.   

So those are my firsthalfofthepregnancy appointments.  I have not had any yet, I am excited for my first one.

#8 of 111 Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm almost 5 weeks and met with my midwife yesterday to talk about a VBAC.  She sounds great and has a high success rate so we are going to switch to her from my obgyn.  We talked about diet and not gaining so much weight this time around.  Going to have an ultrasound on June 22nd to make sure everything looks good.  Can't wait to see the little bean!

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#9 of 111 Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

nannybutterfly, will you share some of what your midwife said about nutrition with me/us? 

#10 of 111 Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

nannybutterfly, will you share some of what your midwife said about nutrition with me/us? 

Well I'm not sure my needs are normally what is suggested for pregnancy, but I'll be happy to share! With my last pregnancy I gained 90 lbs, I had high blood pressure and was retaining a ton of fluid. At the end I was gaining 10 lbs/week. That said my ob never said a word about my diet. My ds was 10lbs 5 oz, and delivered by c-sec. So in trying for a vbac, a smaller baby would help. Also i still have 25lbs left from my 1st pregnancy so i'm considered overweight to some point. Although it's all on my belly and boobs, everything else is back to normal. So basically we talked about going on a semi diabetic diet. No sugar, very little fruit and juice, few carbs, low fat/no fat dairy and meat. I live on fruit so it's going to be hard! But I'm willing to try it to get my vbac.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#11 of 111 Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannybutterfly View Post

Quote:

Well I'm not sure my needs are normally what is suggested for pregnancy, but I'll be happy to share! With my last pregnancy I gained 90 lbs, I had high blood pressure and was retaining a ton of fluid. At the end I was gaining 10 lbs/week. That said my ob never said a word about my diet. My ds was 10lbs 5 oz, and delivered by c-sec. So in trying for a vbac, a smaller baby would help. Also i still have 25lbs left from my 1st pregnancy so i'm considered overweight to some point. Although it's all on my belly and boobs, everything else is back to normal. So basically we talked about going on a semi diabetic diet. No sugar, very little fruit and juice, few carbs, low fat/no fat dairy and meat. I live on fruit so it's going to be hard! But I'm willing to try it to get my vbac.

yes.  i had an over 10 pounder and gained over 70 lbs with the birth of dd 1.  i lost all of it with bf and then some (cause i had to go on a TED b/c she had allergies..) but then i had two m/c and gained a good bit with each (plus some stress/sadness eating, which is how i dealt with it).. so i'm not starting at the best place either. 

i guess i could try to reduce/eliminate sugar.. i KNOW i have major problems with it.  i don't know about the carbs though.  argh.  pasta is what we eat at least a few times a week.. esp with all the garden veggies coming in.  sigh.

we can encourage and support each other!  i have an ob whom i love and he told me that he's all good with a VBAC but not if i gain that much weight this time.  nono.gif

#12 of 111 Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

We should start a healthy eating support group! I know that I cannot gain too much weight, but it's going to be hard! I'm having such a hard time cutting out sugar and carbs.  I feel awful, not sure if it's morning sickness or lack of eating, but I'm dizzy and tired all the time. dizzy.gif I'm also starving all the time.  I don't think I'm taking in enough calories, but I'm having a hard time coming up with good things to eat.  DS is still nursing, so I have 2 babies literally sucking the energy out of me! gloomy.gif My midwife told me what to avoid, but she didn't tell me what I could eat so I'm running out of ideas and anything green, ie, veggies, makes me sick! What have you been eating lately?

Quote:

yes.  i had an over 10 pounder and gained over 70 lbs with the birth of dd 1.  i lost all of it with bf and then some (cause i had to go on a TED b/c she had allergies..) but then i had two m/c and gained a good bit with each (plus some stress/sadness eating, which is how i dealt with it).. so i'm not starting at the best place either. 

i guess i could try to reduce/eliminate sugar.. i KNOW i have major problems with it.  i don't know about the carbs though.  argh.  pasta is what we eat at least a few times a week.. esp with all the garden veggies coming in.  sigh.

we can encourage and support each other!  i have an ob whom i love and he told me that he's all good with a VBAC but not if i gain that much weight this time.  nono.gif

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#13 of 111 Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

well.. we've started to get garden stuff, which is awesome.  squash.  and chard.  those are healthy, but unfortunately i mix that up with some total crap.  we have chickens so eggs are awesome.  frittata is something quick and good you can make with eggies and whatever veggies you have. 

my dh does the cooking but i've been picking up some heathy cookbooks at the library and getting some more veggie recipes. 

i ate a humongous lunch at a resturant today, which is one of my downfalls.  so bad. 

i do notice that i do much better when i have a good protein (an egg) for breakfast rather than cereal (another really bad habit... )..

do you guys do a garden or visit a farmer's market?  i am better eating wise when there's fresh stuff around. 

#14 of 111 Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just read yesterday that supposedly you aren't supposed to need any more calories than usual in the first trimester - but that doesn't seem possible to me, I've been super hungry all the time. I don't think starving myself is the way to a healthy baby. I'm trying to add more fruit to my diet, the only fruit I normally eat is in my morning banana-berry smoothie.

We live less than a block away from a major street with TONS of yummy take-out food, so it's a big challenge for me to actually plan and cook meals - but I need to do it in order to get enough vegetables in my diet.

I normally walk to work but it's only 15 minutes each day, so I need to add more walking, cycling, and yoga.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#15 of 111 Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah... no more calories needed doesn't make sense to me either! At first (before morning sickness) I always feel super hungry. I would try to munch of raw veggies & hummus or light snacks. Now that MS has hit I will eat anything that I can keep down or that doesn't make me feel nauseated. I am a big believer of following my bodies cues. 

But with that said, I have a lot healthier diet than I did with DS 1 & 2 (no or very limited processed foods, tons of fresh fruits/veggies instead of junk food.) I gained between 40 and 50 lbs with DS2. Around 50 I'd say with DS1 but dropped it all within weeks. Still carrying around 10 lbs extra from DS2. I have been overly cautious about calories so far. I just need to add some more exercising in. It feels impossible working PT, having two kids and being fatigued with all day sickness though. Blah. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#16 of 111 Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM

I just got back form my appointment. HIGH RISK was written on my file. I knew it was coming. They talked about putting me on insulin because my blood sugar levels in the morning were off. I begged her off to two weeks to see if i could get it normalized. I am about ready to cry. ;(

#17 of 111 Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

I just got back form my appointment. HIGH RISK was written on my file. I knew it was coming. They talked about putting me on insulin because my blood sugar levels in the morning were off. I begged her off to two weeks to see if i could get it normalized. I am about ready to cry. ;(

Sorry, mama. Is this something that is common with you? I'm not sure what you need to do to help your sugar levels. I'm hoping you do, and if it's possible to regulate, you can do it.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#18 of 111 Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

so sorry!  that's awful to hear!

#19 of 111 Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

i had an ultrasound yesterday.  the baby is in the right place, but there is nothing else there yet.  the lack of sac makes me a little nervous, as i'm right on the border of it being supposed to be there. 

i will go back next week.  the dr said the edd was two days later than i figured it to be, but whatever, that's an arbitrary number at best anyway. 

#20 of 111 Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

i had an ultrasound yesterday.  the baby is in the right place, but there is nothing else there yet.  the lack of sac makes me a little nervous, as i'm right on the border of it being supposed to be there. 

i will go back next week.  the dr said the edd was two days later than i figured it to be, but whatever, that's an arbitrary number at best anyway. 

goodvibes.gifsounds like good news, don't worry;)

AFM, I took my test thrs. and have yet to even call my midwife. Actually, I'm not positive I'll use the same one that I did, so guess I'm behind! My main symptoms are mental, I'm so moody! blech

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#21 of 111 Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM

hildare, fingers crossed for you, and I hope next week gets here in no time.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#22 of 111 Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

I have my first appointment with my midwife on Thursday!! Can't wait :) :) Well, first real appointment other than being stuck with a needle to check betas. biggrinbounce.gif I have to bring both of my boys 5 & 3 and no DH. Should be fun.... 

#23 of 111 Old 06-22-2011, 03:32 PM

I had my first appointment on Monday. Everything looks good. I had to have a pap done because I was procrastinating about the yearly. Got an ultrasound and saw babies heartbeat. Baby was measuring right at 6w5d which is what we though. All looks good for now. I have to do an early glucose test at my next visit (13 weeks) because of my strong family history and my last baby was 10lbs 3oz, though I passed the glucose test with her so... we shall see!

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#24 of 111 Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

I had my first appointment on Monday. Everything looks good. I had to have a pap done because I was procrastinating about the yearly. Got an ultrasound and saw babies heartbeat. Baby was measuring right at 6w5d which is what we though. All looks good for now. I have to do an early glucose test at my next visit (13 weeks) because of my strong family history and my last baby was 10lbs 3oz, though I passed the glucose test with her so... we shall see!

Just wondering if you had any spotting or cramping after they did your pap?  I have been feeling really crampy today and had to a slight spotting this morning but nothing since.  Anything for you....or anyone else?

#25 of 111 Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM

I didn't have any spotting, but I did get slightly crampy during the pap. Almost like round ligament pains. As long as your spotting isn't bright red, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are, maybe call your dr?

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#26 of 111 Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm going in for a pap this coming Monday and the doctor warned me that I will likely have some minor bleeding/spotting afterwards.  It's just your cervix that bleeds though, so it's nothing to worry about.  

#27 of 111 Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM

I'm dreading my pap!! I hate them. Ugh. Oh well, it's necessary. 

I had my first real appointment today!! My kids were NUTS. My DH had to work because he is covering for someone that has time off from possible breast cancer... so how could I possibly argue with that and pout about him not coming. I have no sitters or family in the area so the kids came. Yeah. FUN. They were excited to see the baby, only to be disappointed! My uterus is tilted backwards and we couldn't see much because it is so deep in my pelvis. You could see a round, not collapsed uterus and my midwife was happy with that. She wants me back in 3 weeks to check again. Can't wait! And I'm sure she'll do the dreaded pap then. 

#28 of 111 Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanoish View Post

My uterus is tilted backwards and we couldn't see much because it is so deep in my pelvis. 

My uterus is tilted too, so the ultrasound tech couldn't see much and opted to switch to a transvaginal ultrasound, which was kind of awkward (and DP wasn't allowed to come in).

I wonder if having a tilted uterus will mean that it will take longer to hear the heartbeat by doppler as well.

#29 of 111 Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM

I had another appointment today.  I lost 5lbs in 4 weeks due to morning sickness, and now I am feeling pretty bad about it.  I got a prescription to help with the nausea, so hopefully I start feeling better soon.

I also booked an appointment to do a nuchal translucency ultrasound.  Anyone else doing it?  

#30 of 111 Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

yes we're going to do the NT.. but...

we had an u/s today (rescheduled from friday) and i saw baby buck's heartbeat!  luxlove.gif  we're so excited.  chances are better after that point that all will be ok!  i'll go back in 2 weeks for another one, i imagine that will be for the NT at that point...

however, i'm very tempted to refuse the pap.  just not interested.... 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page