First Babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just wondering who else is having their first?

I am so freaked out about every little cramp... and wanting to shop for baby gear but I know it's too soon. 

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#2 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'm a fellow first timer!!! When I let myself think of every little thing, cramp, etc...I end up going crazy! I've been finding myself following the advice from all the wonderful women on here...especially with the books I read. I'm reading Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn that was recommended here rather than the What to Expect When you are Expecting that most women said to stay away from!!

I was going insane reading everything on the right prenatal vitamin, what not to eat, what kind of sunscreen not to use...and even stopped my Bikram Yoga that I have been doing to 41/2 years...but....now I feel good about my prenatal and I'm not going to keep driving myself insane, I'm continuing to use my facial lotion that has sunscreen in it (had a mini freak out that it was bad) and am definitely paying attention to what I eat but modifying it to eat better and more fruits and veggies. As far as Bikram, it's a huge controversy out there. Since I have such a bad back it's the only thing that I truly feel best doing. I didn't do it for a week and already had back aches. So I went last night and felt wonderful. I made sure I was by the door and my teacher said I could use a mini fan for class. I never felt overheated, I plan on taking my temp during tonight's class to make sure it's ok but truly I feel I know my body and my yoga is what is best for me. So...after the first couple of weeks I was indeed freaked out by everything....but now I am settling in and I feel really wonderful.

Have had some pretty bad extremely tired waves hitting me and mild cramps...

As far as shopping for baby gear, I'm with you on that one but I'm holding off until we are thru the 1st tri! We'll see if I can make it that long!!!

My first visit with my doc is on July13th.

I'm excited about going through this with everyone!!! I'm happy you started this thread...it's so nice to be going through things for the first time together!

#3 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really curious about the Bikram yoga as well because it's my favourite kind of yoga. I haven't gone in a few months though, so I don't think I will try it again until after I give birth. But I always wanted to take my temperature right after Triangle pose and see how much it goes up - hopefully all that sweat does cool the body off.

I guess I kind of wonder - if heat is that much of a problem, what happens to pregnant women in India or Africa?

I am a bit out of shape right now so I'm just doing yin yoga, which is really the opposite of Bikram but it has a lot of great hip stretches, which I really need.

#4 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I am also a first timer!  I'm super excited but also worried about every little thing.  I've already cracked and bought a few baby outfits, ha!  You guys are stronger than I am redface.gif  

Today I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks (I have very long cycles/late ovulation so the doctors wanted to double check the date).  The little nugget measured 6w1d, just one day ahead of what I thought.  I also got to see it's little heart beating!  So awesome.  Even though it doesn't look much like a baby at 6 weeks, I wish I had asked them to print off a picture.  

Even after the ultrasound, I can still hardly believe there is anything in there.  I can't believe I am actually going to have a baby!

#5 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

It's funny you say that about the women in India or Africa..I've thought the same!!! I think if your body is used to it, it auto regulates itself. I will definitely let you know how my temp taking goes tonight!! Bikram's wife has the modified version, I just ordered the DVD:

http://www.products.bikramyoga.com/product_info.php?products_id=17

and here you can find the modified poses:

http://www.yogadallas.com/site/page/pg3810-as161.html

in case you wanted to go back to it!! Any form of yoga I think will help at this stage!!! I need those hip stretches too!!!! I still worry about having a spinal fusion and what everything is going to do to my back! Eeeekkk here I go again...no more worrying!!

#6 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Oh my goodness how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! It's crazy to think at 6 weeks there's a heart beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be so elated! Congrats!!!!

#7 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

I am totally elated smile.gif

#8 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 AM

This is my first baby too!  I am being chill, and my symptoms are not crazy (a bit dizzy, sometimes some cramps from indigestion and gas, and crazy big sore boobs, some fatigue).  

I think I will hold off on buying baby gear.  But I did start knitting my first NB wool diaper cover soaker!

#9 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 AM

I am a first timer too! I hear you on worrying about every little cramp.

I actually have come down with a killer headcold. It's so bad it's kept me from sleeping. I'm worried about what all this is doing to my baby's development but really, there's nothing I can do about it but take care of myself and be positive!

Is any other first timer out there terrified? I am. This is something we wanted, but I'm just so not emotionally prepared to be a parent. I'm also freaked out about pregnancy- the profound changes to my body, labor, etc....

Happily married for 5 years. Tried for our first baby 6/2011, got preg right away, and miscarried. Took a 4 month break, and then had nothing but infertility & a few early miscarriages until 12/2012 when we learned I had a lumpy edge in my uterus. Doc removed it and now we are trying again....

#10 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have my eye on an orange (my colour!) Stokke stroller that just came up on Craigslist. But I know it's too early for such things. 

Starting to feel a bit of morning sickness and I'm very happy about it! I know that sounds stupid but I am nervous about the lack of sore boobs.

#11 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM

First one for me too! I had an ectopic pregnancy so they had me go in early for ultrasound and saw a little heart beating chickpea too. I'm trying to stay positive this time and have been feeling pretty bad so I'm telling myself that's a good sign.

Laggie: No sore boobs here either, I guess its just different for some folks.

I'm not going to lie, I bought stuff before we were even pregnant. I wanted to spread the cost out and figured if we never had a kid we could always sale some stuff back.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#12 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM

so last night at Bikram I took my temp throughout...98.2 to start...peaked at 100.4 and down to 99 by the end....eh not thrilled with how high it went. I didn't feel overheated and I definitely was taking it easier than I normally do. The 100.4 was right after triangle!!!!! Anyways, I have decided to practice from home until I'm through the first trimester! It was interesting research and hopefully hasn't done any harm eeeeekkk!!!

I bought a pregnancy journal today at Barnes and Noble...my DH and I have been writing to the "kids" for a few months now. Ever since we have been talking about our children we've been writing to them...but this one is specific about this pregnancy so it's fun! I also got Deepak Chopra's Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth. I've read some of his books before and didn't know he had a prego one!

Today the cramps have finally become more annoying...they're just there...and usually I ignore them but today seems more annoying! I spoke to my sis who's had 3 children and she said they could last the whole time :(

I love hearing everyone talk about the hearbeat!

Off to drink some more water.....and then some more....and then pee...pee peeeeeeeeeee

#13 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM

i am so glad to hear you say the cramps are normal!!!  I have been starting to worry about mine.  They are faint, and more than pain produce a simple line of worry on my forehead!

#14 of 31 Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM

I know...at first I used to think the cramps were really really baaaaaad, then I did some research and asked a bunch of my ladies with lots of kiddies around and it's just growing pains!!!! So it's a good thing! Just making some room for the little one to live!!!!!!!

I have no idea how on earth I'm going to handle a little one and my 2 doggies! Tonight my lovely Kai walked in fresh poo outside, only to come back in and walk all over the couch and the kitchen! Ahhhh I was a screaming lunatic...it was funny actually. Usually I'm extremely patient and don't freak but I feel like I can't control any of my emotions right now. Crazy hormones I am guessing!!!! I feel really out of control and just started crying with my hubby yesterday.....I'm just going with it though, he just keeps telling me to sleep and take naps!

#15 of 31 Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 AM

on the cramps - thank you :)

on the dog poo - aieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

#16 of 31 Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM

This is our first, too.  I've been having a lot of light cramping, but at least over the last week I stopped having intense cramps after every single orgasm!  I was starting to feel like I was getting aversion therapy. irked.gif

Boob tenderness is definitely getting worse and more consistent (it was come and go from about 10dpo on).  I actually have bloating so bad that I already picked up a pair of maternity pants--I know it's just bloat, but I couldn't button any of my pants, and I've read that some people have the bloat basically until they pop for real, so...

I'm normally extremely active with lots of weights and cardio, but I'm being cautious after reading up on exercise in the first trimester on PubMed.  I'm a PhD student, so I like medical journal articles when I can find them. eyesroll.gif

#17 of 31 Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM

First baby here too!! Still getting used to the idea! My hubby's still in school, and I'm in the process of starting a business so lifes a bit crazy!  Please someone tell me you're in the same situation and its STILL gonna be great!! haha!

AlyM- I guess you WOULDN"T suggest getting a dog then?! I love the idea of getting a dog for my babies to grow up with so I immediately went online to find a dog. My hubby thinks i'm crazy! :):)

I've got some slight cramps that I spent a good week hoping they were menstrual cramps. lol! :)

#18 of 31 Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

First timer here too. And being military, I'm much further away from my family and DH's family than I'd like.

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#19 of 31 Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHairedMama View Post

I'm normally extremely active with lots of weights and cardio, but I'm being cautious after reading up on exercise in the first trimester on PubMed.  I'm a PhD student, so I like medical journal articles when I can find them. eyesroll.gif

Did you save any links by any chance? I'm curious but too lazy to google it myself... I always assumed the advice about not lifting things etc was just superstition.

ETA: I'm looking on PubMed but I guess my google-fu is failing me...

#20 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 PM

First timer here too!  Due Feb 2nd!  Went to the Dr. yesterday for our first ultrasound, we are 8 weeks 5 days as of yesterday according to the ultrasound.  We got to see and hear the heartbeat...it was amazing...a strong 144 beats per minute.  I have been researching cloth diapering and already went online and started baby registries..the baby registry thing gives me enough satisfaction for now that I am not out buying stuff....LOL

#21 of 31 Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm also a first timer, this is a surprise baby. I haven't slept for 8 straight hours since I suspected I was pregnant, I'm worried about everything, finishing school before the baby comes, starting my own business, money, possible miss-carrying. Last night I had stomach cramps for 3 hours, and was petrified that I was miss-carrying, but no blood. My EDD is February 26th. I'm going to meet a midwife today and tour the birthing center. I told DP that we are not allowed to buy anything until the second trimester, and I've all ready bought baby clothes(couldn't resist purchasing 2 organic onesies for $4). I'm incredibly excited, yet scared out of my mind. My boobs have been incredibly tender for the past couple week, and the fatigue has been crazy. I'm starting to have an aversion to eggs and milk, and am wondering what am I going to eat for breakfast. I'm gluten-free and going to school to become a nutrition consultant. Alison

Expecting #1 in February 2012. Have two furbabies. Kiadog2.gif Bootsie dog2.gif goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif

#22 of 31 Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm a first timer too!

I have been spending way too much time online looking up reviews on baby cloth diapers, prenatal vitamins, etc...I found a good prenatal that I felt good with..but it was stressful. Now I'm just going to take it easy for the next week on reading..

I've been super tired and napping..and I am knitting a little baby sweater for a friend due in Nov..I might just keep it? haha

Are any of you going to not find out the sex of the baby??

#23 of 31 Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to find out the sex, I want it to be a surprise. Somebody asked me that the other day, "how many weeks until you find out boy or girl?" and I said 40.

#24 of 31 Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM

We're going to find out, but really only to make it easier for family to feel like they are buying the right things. We don't care either way so long as its healthy. :P

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#25 of 31 Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm on the fence about finding out. Me and DH still haven't discussed it really...I like the idea of being surprised..but it'd be nice to have gender specific things :) 

#26 of 31 Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This will be our first baby also.

A few things.....after reading through some of the posts on this forum.....that I wanted to chim in about:

1) I've been collecting things (maternity clothes on sale that I liked, baby clothes, toys, bath tub items for baby, garage sale baby items, stuff from friends that gave me things, etc. along the way over the past few years.....because we KNEW we were going to have a child at some point! There's no specific "time" that you have to start buying that stuff.....and you shouldn't feel silly, dumb or bad about it either. Just keep it packed up in the garage or a closet until you need it. That's what I do. It's nice to go through once in awhile and take a gander at all the cute and precious items that I already have......just waiting for my little one to arrive and use! It makes me smile when I look at the baby books to read to them, etc. It helps keep me going on my journey to motherhood. And....there are resale shops that will buy used items (even maternity clothes) so if you do end up buying stuff and then don't have a baby....you can always resale it and get some of your $ back!

2) Being happy, excited and scared. Yes.....every pregnant woman is. Whether it's your first or your fifth child....you are going to be a little scared. It is only normal and natural to be. It is also normal to be super excited and happy. And then go back to scared. It is like a roller coaster.....you will have those ups and downs throughout the entire pregnancy about this or that (money, health, etc.) and it is all fine and normal. Just know that every other Mama out there is going through the same worries and excitement as YOU.

3) Yoga. I have been doing yoga for almost 3 years and I love it and can't see myself NOT doing it. But....I know from my instructor that there are certain poses that pregnant women should avoid once you're past a certain week (I believe she said 6 weeks, so VERY early on) because we produce more relaxin in our joints and doing some stretching poses can be harmful to our joints....because you can over extend them if you are continuing the same workout/moves from pre-pregnancy. I have decided to stop going to my regular yoga class and have bought a couple of good Prenatal Yoga (and Pilates and regular strengthening/toning and cardio/weight training) DVD's to do in my own home. They are great because I don't have to leave the house and drive anywhere.....I can do them whenever I want (instead of a specific time during the day that the class was scheduled for) and I KNOW that the poses and exercises on the DVD's are specifically designed to be SAFE FOR PREGNANT WOMEN. It makes me feel at ease. One DVD even has a message from an OB Doc approving the workout.

Here are the Prenatal Workout DVD's that I own and have been doing and together they give you the great overall body toning that will keep you in great shape the entire pregnancy and even help with labor and childbirth (increase your stamina, cardio vascular endurance and help you prepare for breathing and focusing during childbirth) and all of the instructors in them are also pregnant, so you feel like if THEY can do it.....that YOU can too!

- Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga

- Suzanne Bowen's Long & Lean Prenatal Workout

- Summer Sander's (Olympic Swim Champion) Prenatal Workout (use a stretch band for resistance moves)

- Buff Mom's-to-Be The Early Workout (use 2-5 lb hand free weights)

- Pilates During Pregnancy with Niece Pecenka (Vol. 1)

4) Every pregnant women's symptoms are different. And each pregnancy she has is going to be a little different. I don't have the same symptoms this time around that I had last time.

What every woman needs to keep in mind: every pregnancy is its own journey....full of joys, curiosity, annoyances, beauty, worry, excitement and fear. It is a unique and personal ride that us as women get to go on.  belly.gif Enjoy it! Live it!

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#27 of 31 Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM

My husband and I are having our first too...and insanely excited.  I am totally new to this whole website and wondering if anyone could fill me in on some of the acronyms people are using on this site.

Thanks!!

#28 of 31 Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM

First time for me too!

Right now I'm just trying not to get overwhelmed with how much information there is... and so much of it is conflicting.eyesroll.gif  I'm also not feeling like it's real yet- despite having seen the heart beat twice and feeling nauseated most of the day.... 

I'm hoping when I get through the 1st trimester (I'm at 8wk, 6 days) I will start wanting to read more and make some decisions while also getting back to focusing on work while I still can!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#29 of 31 Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Hi BMW....

the only ones that I was confused about are the DD, DS and DH.  These are darling daughter, darling son and darling husband, respectively. 

MS is morning sickness, and those seem to be the most often used...

Congrats to you!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#30 of 31 Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 PM

DDC is due date club

and DDCC is due date club crasher.  That's when other folks from other DDCs (or just the mothering community in general) chime in with advice, etc :)

There's also a helpful list floating around somewhere.  Now, if I could just find it ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page