What helps you with morning sickness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like week 5 was a slow build for me and week 6 opened the gate to full blown morning sickness. They say it is the part that all pregnant women dread but I was actually excited to see it happen (never felt sick with my losses, but did with my successful pregnancies). However, that joy wore off as soon as I realized it wasn't in my head and I needed to hit the bathroom. 

For me, an empty stomach is my worst enemy. I remember stashing crackers by my bed with DS1 and eating before I got out of bed to alleviate it. With DS2 I never threw up but was very nauseous. With this pregnancy, I work (was a SAHM before) in my office 3 days a week and see client after client. I am the only CLC in our office so I really have to suck it up and power through. At least they're all pregnant or were pregnant so they can kind of relate... but since I'm not announcing this pregnancy for at least 12-15 weeks, everyone thinks I am constantly ill. redface.gif

So what works for you? I had a client tell me that she took ginger root tablets every morning (was sick all 9 months) and they helped her ten folds. I've also heard lemon or citrus candies can help. I bought some lemon drops today for the next time I'm queasy. When my stomach is really turning and I know eating will ease it... but I can't stomach it... that is the worst! Definitely in need of some more tips to help get me through the day before my boss starts to worry about me!

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#2 of 68 Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 PM

~Candied ginger to suck on
~Real Ginger Ale
~Peppermint tea
~staying away from food aversions
~not having an empty stomach, and epically not drinking water on an empty stomach
~not having a fan blowing on me or being in the car if I can possibly avoid it
~grapefruit juice
~crackers (saltines, wheat thins, rice crackers)
~chewing on tea tree oil toothpicks

Thats pretty much it. This time, I think what has helped me the most is just allowing myself to vomit and getting it over with.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Vitamin B6    

What events can indicate a need for more high-vitamin B6 foods ?

• Fatigue or malaise
  • Anemia

Nutrient Chart

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#4 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM

I've been taking extra B6 but haven't noticed a change in my MS yet.  I seem to have constant mild nausea which I try not to make worse by not eating enough or exposing myself to strong odours/aversions.  I haven't found anything that helps when I get really nauseous and start throwing up.  All I can do is lay down and sip juice slowly.  I am more likely to throw up in the evening, so I just go to bed early when that happens, and I keep crackers by the bed so I can snack on something before I get up.

#5 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM

i don't seem to have this much, but there were a few studies/rumors/whatever about raw almonds and that they worked well for some people.  <3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM

For me it's also not having an empty stomach (that's when I feel the worst) but it's most important that I eat PROTEIN. Every snack has to have protein. Eggs right away in the morning. Nuts for a snack. Peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese, turkey/bacon wrap, etc, for lunch. If I eat protein every 2-3 hours the ms is SO much more bearable. Not gone, but not terrible. If I wait... ugh.

#7 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely have to add some more protein in there. I love almonds so that won't be a problem. Although I have a feeling it is not going to be by way of eggs. Or anything squishy/not crunchy for that matter. crap.gif Darn you queasy stomach. 

Why sickness is such a big issue for me is I have vasovagal syncope. My specific "trigger" is the feeling you get before throwing up. I faint every time, which is not exactly fun when you're about to barf. I can't stop it, and there is no treatment. So I HAVE to avoid getting sick at all costs. I'm ok if I'm nauseous. But that cold, clammy, dizzy you feeling you get before getting sick makes me faint. 

So anything I can do to keep me at the nausea point and not to the vomiting point is going to help me soo much! I also hate to be sick when I'm home alone with my kids. I've always woken up right after, but what if one time I didn't... and I just hate to scare them. It freaks my oldest out big time. 

Definitely trying the things mentioned. Lemon drops were so far a bust for me. I need to go to the store and stock up on dry and/or crunchy snacks to get me through. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#8 of 68 Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm not getting much MS yet, but generally when I have an upset stomach I find peppermint helps me a lot. Even brushing my teeth, if that's all that's available, but I get the yummy earth peppermint candies and they are wonderful! 

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#9 of 68 Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Not letting myself get to the point of being hungry seems to help the most. Next most helpful is protein for snacks.

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#10 of 68 Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM

So... now that morning sickness has hit me *for real* the peppermint is NOT working. Drat.

I hope it goes away soon because I can't function at work like this. I'm wishing my office had a couch where I could lie down.

#11 of 68 Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still struggling, too! Haven't found anything that really helps. I haven't thrown up, but it's just non-stop queasiness. It makes me totally grumpy and DH is annoyed that I don't want any of my usual favorites for dinner. One thing I have changed is I'm not trying to eat normal or eat like I was before. I generally am a very spicy, mexican, fresh jalapenos on everything kind of girl and lately all I want are PB&J sandwiches, dry cereal, crackers and chicken noodle soup. Oh and toast. Yeah. That's about it. crap.gif Seriously. Forget fruits and veggies. The thought turns my stomach. I don't think I'm even eating enough to be gaining weight from pretty much an all carb diet. I've actually lost a few lbs. 

#12 of 68 Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Eating constantly help, which works since I"m strving. But I can only eat what I crave or I feel awful. Morning sickness seems to finally hit here at 7 weeks though it's midday sickness. lol Ice water, and hard candy (lemon drops) seems to help immensly.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#13 of 68 Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamama1 View Post

For me it's also not having an empty stomach (that's when I feel the worst) but it's most important that I eat PROTEIN. Every snack has to have protein. Eggs right away in the morning. Nuts for a snack. Peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese, turkey/bacon wrap, etc, for lunch. If I eat protein every 2-3 hours the ms is SO much more bearable. Not gone, but not terrible. If I wait... ugh.

Yep, me too! Protein always works...a scrambled egg, some greek yogurt, or some peanut butter will help me feel better in a hurry!

#14 of 68 Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoodard View Post

Not letting myself get to the point of being hungry seems to help the most. Next most helpful is protein for snacks.

I am waking up feeling sick, I guess because I'm hungry? But at that point I feel so sick it's hard to eat. I wonder if I should wake up at 5 am and eat something?

I would like to eat protein but it really does not appeal to me, all I want to eat is toast, saltines and grapes. 

#15 of 68 Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Are you waking up in the middle of the night to pee at all yet? Maybe keep some snacks by your bed that you can grab on the way to/from the bathroom? And make sure you have a snack right before bed!

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#16 of 68 Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodard View Post

Are you waking up in the middle of the night to pee at all yet? Maybe keep some snacks by your bed that you can grab on the way to/from the bathroom? And make sure you have a snack right before bed!

Good idea!!! I have a cracker stash beside my bed but I think if I ate at like 4 am before I woke up at 6 I would feel a lot better!!

#17 of 68 Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM

It was just a fleeting queasiness until now, but it's really hitting me today to the point where I'm not even drinking enough water. No throwing up, just queasy all day long. I ran out to the natural market and got some seabands, ginger tea, pickled ginger and ginger / raspberry / peppermint tablets by Solaray. I almost feel like the seabands are helping already, but we'll see. 

#18 of 68 Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Yep, I'm 6weeks 2days and lost my lunch today. Yuck!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#19 of 68 Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM

I didn't read all the replies, but I just asked this question in my ICAN forum and they said taking a Bcomplex along with half of a unisom will help... I'm about to try it!

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#20 of 68 Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

I didn't read all the replies, but I just asked this question in my ICAN forum and they said taking a Bcomplex along with half of a unisom will help... I'm about to try it!

When are you supposed to take it? In the morning I guess?

#21 of 68 Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Nux Vomicus -- it's a homeopathic remedy

Also I dont have any this time, but preggy pops helped last time.

MS hasn't struck me as much so far, which is good, but makes me worry too...

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#22 of 68 Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Did it work for you? I tried it last night and just felt worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

#23 of 68 Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm another ginger person.  I haven't needed it yet, but with DD2 (your typical run-of-the-mill morning sickness case), candied ginger or gingerroot brewed as tea worked for me to take the edge off.  Also, just sucking on hard candy can help if that's what you can find. 

I never took B vitamins with my girls, but with my last miscarriage I started morning sickness at 3 wks pregnant and a B complex really helped.

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#24 of 68 Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 PM

I have fallen in love with MetroMint water. I sip it through out the day and its an instant relief!

#25 of 68 Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 AM

I've become obsessed with tonic water.  For some reason it really helps me! 

Also, I've been eating nut-thin crackers that are made with almonds and rice flour.  I think the protein makes them even more helpful.

When I was pregnant with DD I used a lot of ginger, ginger tea, ginger chews, etc... ever since then I've despised ginger even though I used to love it! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#26 of 68 Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 PM

nothing is working for me at all and it's so upsetting I am seriously miserable I'm a few days shy of 9 weeks, so far the only thing that helps are anti nausea meds. I have 5 kids to take care of too and I cant do anything at all hardly, it's really starting to get me down. guilty.gif

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#27 of 68 Old 06-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post

nothing is working for me at all and it's so upsetting I am seriously miserable I'm a few days shy of 9 weeks, so far the only thing that helps are anti nausea meds. I have 5 kids to take care of too and I cant do anything at all hardly, it's really starting to get me down. guilty.gif

Have you tried homeopathy? Specifically the nux vomica works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

I have fallen in love with MetroMint water. I sip it through out the day and its an instant relief!

Where do you buy this? I've never heard of it but would love to try...

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#28 of 68 Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Hi Ladies! I've been MIA for weeks now...with terrible, debilitating nausea!!! Ughhh it's been awful, just getting by everyday wishing it were over, people saying that I don't seem excited about the baby, which of course I am...but I couldn't smile, talk, nothing, I was mute and miserable!! Nothing was working, I tried EVERYTHING! My colleague works in pain medicine and practices Chinese medicine and acupuncture. He recommended the Sea Bands for acupressure and they have changed my life! You don't ever have to take them off (only in the shower) I've had them on for 4 days straight and the fog has lifted. Yes I still feel at times the nausea but it's definitely tolerable and brief. You can also massage the little beads when you need extra acupressure....if you are feeling like nothing is working try them! You can get them for $10.00 at CVS or any pharmacy. They have seriously saved me! I never  thought I would be this sick! I'm only 8 weeks!! Hope this helps someone else as much as me!!!!!!

#29 of 68 Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely interested in acupressure, that's crazy how much of a difference it's made for you!! 

I thought MS had gotten a bit better (which it had for a few days) but now today I am miserable again. My poor husband, I feel like all I do is complain. He told me today to start saying when I feel good instead of when I'm feeling sick... because I'm always feeling sick. blahblah.gif He was kidding of course, and has been very helpful when I ask. Problem is I never do. That's one thing I want to change going on baby #3. 

My biggest worry is my serious food aversions. I seriously can't eat ANYTHING unless it sounds 100% good for me. All that sounds good to me are carbs. Prior to MS, I was a huge raw fresh veggie, fruit, nut eater. I have managed to keep down bananas and applesauce, THAT IS IT. I am taking vitamin supplements to make up for it, but blech. I'm afraid that I'm going to gain too much weight because the only things I want to eat are bread, bagels, pop tarts, waffles (dry), or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My oldest is sitting next to me eating yogurt right now and I want to barf. greensad.gif

#30 of 68 Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Also, any tips for helping to stay hydrated/keep water down??? The thought of drinking water is nauseating. Of course I am, but not as much as I should. The only things I want to drink are carbonated drinks like coke (which I NEVER drank prior to pregnancy and just sip to take the edge off) and I made DH buy me caffeine free or I will send him to 7-11 for a slurpee. duh.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page