~ February 2012 Chat Thread - June 2011~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How about a weekly chat thread ladies? It seems like a great place just to post during the week about anything and everything whether pregnancy related or not. We could even keep the "sticky" info with names and due date information in the first post. Sound good. 

I for one am not enjoying the summer heat and pregnancy. It's making it profoundly difficult not to get overheated when I'm exercising. Plus, I feel like I'm constantly sweating. With my DS, I was pregnant late August through April 22nd so never really had to deal with the heat. Of course, this summer is turning out to be a scorcher early on. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 PM

This is two threads in a row, OdinsMommy, we seem to be on the same page today.   I was thinking the same thing about the idea of a chat thread.  It's nice to be able to check in and have an ongoing conversation about things. 

We're having a little bit of cool weather the past few days and I am grateful.  I'm not great with the heat to begin with...

I'm still in the "can I really be pregnant?" stage.  And, then I find myself asleep while putting DD to bed, or suddenly nauseated, or bursting into tears and I think, "wow, I really am pregnant!" 

Maybe it also seems less real because I'm not telling anyone in real life for awhile.  I'll probably start telling friends one-by-one soon but we'll wait for people at work and family until the second trimester.  So, it feels a little unreal.  I haven't even scheduled a midwife appt yet!  Though that's on my to-do list for tomorrow.  In fact the only people I've told are the people I've spoken to when calling for waitlist applications for daycare!  It's kind of fun to say it to strangers though :)

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

parsley - I'm jealous of your cooler weather. It's been in the mid-90s here with heat indices near 100. The humidity makes you feel like you're swimming through the air. yuck!

I relate to the falling asleep thing. I've been falling asleep with my DS lately as I put him to bed. LOL. In fact, I've now fallen asleep twice before he has. Before last week, I was still up a couple hours after he went to bed. 

We're also not telling for a little while. My SIL is expecting her first in February as well so we absolutely want to wait until they share with DH's parents. Plus, it does seem quite surreal still. We had always planned on starting TTC in August b/c I wanted DS to have his 3rd birthday without a sibling present. Well, I had a chemical pregnancy in March and then became nervous that TTC might be difficult the 2nd time around. Well, we were wrong. 

I love sharing with strangers. LOL. It allows a little release of excitement without the guilt. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#4 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Its 61 degrees Fahrenheit, cloudy, and will probably rain. :( I'm so tired of our June Gloom and Seattle's lousy weather! DH and I have been talking seriously about moving somewhere sunny, probably Southern California or Nevada, depending on the job opportunities. He's put some feelers out.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#5 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Kaydove - I'm jealous of your current weather (though I likely wouldn't want it longterm). And, I love your avatar. It always makes me smile. You look like you're having fun and so happy. 

#6 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Ugh!  I am sooooo jealous of all the nice weather people are having.  We are half way through what our summer is in Minnesota and it's been so cold!  For most of you, Minnesota has about 4 or so months of summer then it's back to cold, cold, cold!  :( 

Also, do I really feel it's necessary to eat pizza and ice cream tonight?  WOW!  haha  I wish that my pregnancies didn't always have me craving sweets.  Terribly.  I haven't really been sick...just those darn sore breasts and feeling fatigued.....but really, "Food, go. away!"

Hope you ladies are having a great Tuesday!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#7 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM

HI ladies. The weather is pretty crumby down here in South Florida as well. It was in the low 90's today, and not sure how high the humidity was.

One thing I have a hard time with in the beginning, is I always feel like I am doing something to hurt myself. I know I'm not, but just feel that way. AS you get further along, you have the boundaries and confines of your belly to keep you from overextending, moving to quickly or what have you. But in the beginning, nada! I feel like I need those limits to keep from doing too much.

I am going to meet the one, local midwife in my city on Thursday. Pretty excited. We just moved here about 8 months ago. I'm a bit sad that I won't get to have my last midwife attend this birth. I really fell in love with her after the birth of my son.

Hopefully, this meeting will go swimmingly. fingersx.gif

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#8 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdinsMommy0409 View Post

Kaydove - I'm jealous of your current weather (though I likely wouldn't want it longterm). And, I love your avatar. It always makes me smile. You look like you're having fun and so happy. 

That's very sweet! It was on my wedding so I was very happy! I had a birdcage veil and it was bothering my eyelashes so I was peeking out from underneath it. smile.gif

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#9 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Slimkins - Good luck meeting the Midwife, hope it goes well!

#10 of 42 Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

:loveher: - DH and I love the cold. One of the places we've considered moving is the Minneapolis-St.Paul area. I craved sweet with my DS, and it did not bode well for my weight. Thus far, I'm definitely having aversions to sugary foods. I've turned down cookies, candy, and soda already. Gross! So weird. All I want to eat is protein and for some strange reason anything made with mayo (I'm thinking it's the eggs).

slimkins - Good luck! I hope you really like the midwife and can have her for the pregnancy and birth you want. 

#11 of 42 Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Odins mommy, you just made me crave a tomato sandwich with tons of mayo... yummy.gif

I'm glad the weather isn't so bad here. It's been kinda cool in the last week. But I'm relieved I'll go through the summer in the beginning of the pregnancy this time. DD was born on July 27th and July is the worst month here for the heat! I don't do so well with heat usually, being that pregnant in the heat was HORRIBLE! This time, I may have to buy a new winter coat, though, not sure the one I have now will fit over a big belly!

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#12 of 42 Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Tomato sand sounds delicious! I've been buying this fancy aioili instead of mayo and I just can't go back to the regular stuff. :)

I'm having a ROUGH day. DH is taking a certification test for his job on Friday so this is a study week for him. I'm a WAHM and have projects due this week so we're definitely in each other's way. His stress level is affecting everyone in the house! I told him go study somewhere else but no dice. 

My nausea isn't too bad today or yesterday. That's actually making me nervous.

Lunchtime!!

#13 of 42 Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oops! It's been a bizarre craving to say the least. I've never liked potato salad, and I suddenly can't get enough of it. And, I'm so glad no third trimester in the heat this go around. I managed to avoid the summer almost completely last time as we conceived early August and DS was born late April. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatia View Post

Odins mommy, you just made me crave a tomato sandwich with tons of mayo... yummy.gif

I'm glad the weather isn't so bad here. It's been kinda cool in the last week. But I'm relieved I'll go through the summer in the beginning of the pregnancy this time. DD was born on July 27th and July is the worst month here for the heat! I don't do so well with heat usually, being that pregnant in the heat was HORRIBLE! This time, I may have to buy a new winter coat, though, not sure the one I have now will fit over a big belly!

hug2.gif I understand the stressed DH making things worse. I've definitely kicked my DH out of the house before and told him to go somewhere else (since I couldn't leave). It was just too much for the two of us to be in the same house. Isn't it weird how we worry whether or not we do or don't have pregnancy symptoms at any given point? We worry about the baby when we do, and we worry there is no baby when we don't. I'm having an easy day too so am feeling similar. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamama1 View Post

Tomato sand sounds delicious! I've been buying this fancy aioili instead of mayo and I just can't go back to the regular stuff. :)

I'm having a ROUGH day. DH is taking a certification test for his job on Friday so this is a study week for him. I'm a WAHM and have projects due this week so we're definitely in each other's way. His stress level is affecting everyone in the house! I told him go study somewhere else but no dice. 

My nausea isn't too bad today or yesterday. That's actually making me nervous.

Lunchtime!!

#14 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, nausea! I'm not looking forward to your visits uhoh3.gif. This pregnancy is so different thus far, and I'm only 4.5 weeks along. It's crazy. With my DS, my only pregnancy symptoms were frequent urination, fatigue the first trimester, and trimester change migraines. This time, it looks like I'm headed for morning sickness this go around and my joints are absolutely killing me plus the frequent urination that always seems to indicate pregnancy for me. Anyone else in a completely different boat this pregnancy by comparison to previous one?

#15 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM

I keep getting waves of nausea and keep thinking "it's too early for morning sickness, last time it didn't happen until 7 or 8 weeks" and then try to come up with alternate reasons for the nausea.  I hope though that this doesn't mean it's going to become 24 hr a day sickness in 3 weeks time...  The fatigue seems much worse this time too.  I feel like I'm going to fall over sometimes. I've been assuming that I was able to sleep and rest more last time and that's why it's worse but, you are right Odinsmommy, this pregnancy may end up totally different!  My strongest symptom last time was really sensitive breasts, and this time they aren't really bothering me at all.  Funny though that I worry about the absence of some symptoms and the presence of others. 

As for cravings, I can not get enough of hot pickled banana peppers!

Legatia - you may have to buy a new winter coat or you may find that you are too hot to need it more than a few times this winter!  With my first pregnancy I bought a winter coat (DD born end of March) and I don't think I buttoned it more than 5 times.  I was just too hot all the time! 

MontanaMama, I totally get the stress and aggravation of having DH working at home while you're also trying to get work done.  During the summer (and some days during the academic year, I'm a prof) DH and I both work at home and I've been known to insist that he goes away so that I can have some time in the house by myself.  One of the things I miss the most is that pre-DD we lived in a different city and DH worked all day, every day at his office and I had the apartment to myself all the time.  I had so much personal space, time and quiet.  There are lots of perks to having DH work from home now but sometimes I just want to inhabit my house by myself!  Sounds like your DH is especially difficult to have around right now.  Good luck!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#16 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM

It's funny - first pregnancy, I was sick weeks 8-13, then it went away and I had the ideal pregnancy.  I even worked until I was 36 weeks (I'm a registered massage therapist).  There were times I would have to rest my belly on the table so I could reach the muscles I needed to... lol.gif.  With my second pregnancy, I was sick from weeks 6-33.  Almost daily nausea, even if I didn't throw up.  I ended up finishing work when I was 26 weeks. 

I'm now 6 weeks, and am nervous because I haven't really felt any nausea.  I've had times where I felt 'funky' and not well, but no sickness.  It's making me a bit anxious.  I've never had a miscarriage, but I know so many people who have, and with each pregnancy, it feels like the probability increases.  I'll probably embrace the first day of sickness, and after that wallow in misery.  It's a good thing DH is so supportive.  love.gif

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#17 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatia View Post
This time, I may have to buy a new winter coat, though, not sure the one I have now will fit over a big belly!

And then again you may not!  As a PP mentioned, you may run hot all winter.  My DD1 was born in February and I walked around with an open coat or one of DH's big fleeces, but never had to spring for a new coat.  I ran so hot I kept the thermostat down at 55, leaving DH and the dog huddling in front of the woodstove while I walked around in a t-shirt.

Montanamama - I so get what you mean, Dh works at home part time.  And doesn't have regular days that he's home so it's hard to anticipate what the week will look like, argh!  Funny how one person's mood can sometimes change the whole vibe in a house.

We are having gorgeous weather here, I may have to take DD swimming this afternoon.  Or maybe we'll go out for ice cream.  Or maybe both  :)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#18 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM

French onion soup for lunch! Although, Parsley, you've got me craving hot pickled banana peppers now. That sounds GOOD. Homemade?

I am all about food, in case you can't tell. Made donuts last night cause I had to have 'em. (But first thing this morning they did NOT help the nausea.)

#19 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM

So, my husband and I met the midwife this morning and really liked her. She seems like a pretty nice fit for how we are. And thankfully, she is here for us, because she told us that the local hospital's c-section rate is 45%. WOAH!!

It's funny too, cause she asked if our families are supportive of home births. We kind of told her that both of our families might not fully agree, but they know we research stuff, so, they would never say anything. When we got to my parents house (about 3 minutes from the midwife's house/office), the first thing my dad asked was if we liked the midwife and if I was going to do one of those water births. haha... he said he had heard they were good for the babies, and it made them such good swimmers in the future because of their connection with water. hehe! That made me giggle.

And my mom was like, oh yeah, how was it? I felt very comforted by their caring. Warm fuzzies, in fact. luxlove.gif

odinsmommy0409, so far I have been feeling pretty different this pregnancy, too. If I don't spot for weeks, I will be just threw the moon, and that will be the best difference between the two.

And I think I am the odd one out here. My son was born at the end of August in Southern Claifornia, and I LOVED being pregnant at that time. I didn't have to bundle up and it made for taking care of a newborn very easy. Plus, the thought of putting on layers, when I am crazy pregnant, is already giving me a big case of the UHGGS!! We'll see, and I will try and keep an open mind.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#20 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Slimkins,

So cool that you like your mw and that your family is so supportive! We definitely had to educate our families last time, when we were planning a home (water) birth. That's awesome!

#21 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamama1 View Post

Slimkins,

So cool that you like your mw and that your family is so supportive! We definitely had to educate our families last time, when we were planning a home (water) birth. That's awesome!

How did you "educate" your families? We are hoping for a home birth this time (DD1 was a natural hospital birth), but at least one medical professional in our family will not be happy with our choice. Any suggestions for when we decide to share our plans? Thanks in advance!

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
#22 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

zakdat - well, I hope you can have a nausea-free pregnancy and most importantly a beautiful, full-term baby in 9 months. 

slimkins - so glad the midwife visit went well and how awesome that your parents seem to be responding well to your birth choices. I really hope you don't have any spotting this pregnancy either. I just can't imagine dealing with that. I currently have two friends that are dealing with it thanks to SCHs. Oh, and I ran so hot throughout my last pregnancy that I basically just wore a tank top under a cardigan or wrap sweater of some kind. I rarely ever put on a jacket unless it was exceptionally cold or windy.

afm - I have my first visit with the midwife scheduled for July 12th. That seems so far away, but I don't have any need to go in sooner. We were planning on telling our families around the 4th of July, and I think we might wait until after the midwife visit or until August to tell our general friends. 

#23 of 42 Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Our midwife doesn't need to see us until we're 12-14 weeks along.  This is the 3rd time working with her in 3 years, so I guess she figures we know what we're doing.  winky.gif

I have such mixed feelings - this morning I got a bit of the nausea I've been hoping (?) for.  Now that it's here, I feel less anxious, just queasy. 

smbcoffee - My mom had a lot of questions and concerns about our first homebirth, which was hard because I really wanted her to be there.  Our midwife had her come to a couple of appointments to ask any/every question she had.  It definitely eased her mind, and while she was still a bit anxious during the birth (typical of my mom - how I love her!!) she at least had every confidence in our midwife.  With everyone else, including a best friend who spent my entire pregnancy worrying about all the complications I could have, we just had to reiterate that we did our research and that this was the decision we came to.  We didn't want their approval - just would appreciate the support to make our own decision.  We've had to ask that of our friends and family several times now - co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting are new things to them.  smile.gif

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

#24 of 42 Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Oh, and thank you Odinsmommy.  For you as well.  innocent.gif

#25 of 42 Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM

smbcoffee,

I basically gave them the information that I had read. Many websites and a few really excellent books on homebirth experiences and statistics. The information and stats out there are so overwhelmingly positive that it didn't take much convincing, thankfully.

#26 of 42 Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I swear I am waddling already!! I'm only 6 weeks, this is ridiculous!

We went to see our midwife yesterday - we'll have a team of 3 midwives so we only met one so far. I have a choice of hospital or home birth and I think I want a home birth but I'm afraid of something going wrong. Also I wonder if there will be a huge mess?

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#27 of 42 Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post

I swear I am waddling already!! I'm only 6 weeks, this is ridiculous!

We went to see our midwife yesterday - we'll have a team of 3 midwives so we only met one so far. I have a choice of hospital or home birth and I think I want a home birth but I'm afraid of something going wrong. Also I wonder if there will be a huge mess?

At our homebirths, we used some disposable pads and old towels and sheets.  The cleanup was never that bad - we've prepped the bed each time, and then DS1 was born while I was squatting in the bathroom and DS2 came unexpectedly while I was on the couch.  The couch didn't have a single mark on it.  The linens that were too badly soiled were just tossed.  I have a lot of support with my mom, MIL, sisters and, of course, DH.  It never seemed to take long to get everything tidied up.  We got everything from the back of everyone's linen closets or second hand stores, so it didn't cost hardly anything.

#28 of 42 Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Hi everyone!  So glad to read your stories and hear that several of you, if not all, have already had kids.  This will be my first, EDD 2/26 but not anticipating arrival until sometime later in March since it's my first.  Just got my positive test yesterday after 3 months TTC.  Super excited to be a momma.  We're planning to use a birth center (attended homebirths are illegal here) and do things as naturally as possible in the pregnancy.  Any thoughts on when I should have my first prenatal midwife appointment?

So excited to be here!!!   joy.gif

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**3rdtri.gif36***40**

#29 of 42 Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Cravings: I"m mostly craving peaches, and reese's (yuck!), and salad, and more salad with eggs, and meat. I'm having lots of food aversions, and some midday nausea that makes everything sound disgusting accept what I mentioned. I haven't puked yet. Still feeling sick.gif

I'm stressed about dealing with care providers, we have kaiser and need to get confirmation of pregnancy for the birth certificate (up/uc) so I have to grit my teeth and deal with them on the 30th and the July 5th. Ugh...I know it's going to feel like hammer.gif

I've only told maybe 4 people, none of them family. My husband wants to wait and I'm just feeling fustrated. I was telling everyone last time, jumping for joy. But financially we aren't as well off so DH is worried about how the family will take it. crap.gif

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#30 of 42 Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Right of Passage - I can't seem to get enough meat or eggs either (and mayo redface.gif). Of course, yesterday absolutely nothing sounded good so I went to the grocery and walked around aimlessly. Only deviled eggs sounded good. So weird. I'm getting that mid-afternoon nausea as well. Hope your insurance/care doesn't cause you too much trouble. 

I'm going back and forth on wanting to tell the world and wanting to keep things quiet. It feels more surreal this time, and perhaps I'm just uneasy still as I had a chemical pregnancy in March that messed up my cycles. It's also completely unexpected considering we thought this cycle would be a bust since I was out of town on O date. I guess my DH's swimmers have some good endurance. LOL. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

Cravings: I"m mostly craving peaches, and reese's (yuck!), and salad, and more salad with eggs, and meat. I'm having lots of food aversions, and some midday nausea that makes everything sound disgusting accept what I mentioned. I haven't puked yet. Still feeling sick.gif

I'm stressed about dealing with care providers, we have kaiser and need to get confirmation of pregnancy for the birth certificate (up/uc) so I have to grit my teeth and deal with them on the 30th and the July 5th. Ugh...I know it's going to feel like hammer.gif

I've only told maybe 4 people, none of them family. My husband wants to wait and I'm just feeling fustrated. I was telling everyone last time, jumping for joy. But financially we aren't as well off so DH is worried about how the family will take it. crap.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page