Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What prenatal vitamins are you all taking? I'm confused about just over the counter vs. prescription.  My current OB gave me a prescription for a certain vitamin but I didn't ended up picking it up because it was going to cost me $40 a month!  crazy.  Right now I just have One a day prenatal.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM

I use New Chapter prenatal vitamins, which are whole food vitamins.

Along this line of thought.. what if anything are people taking for a DHA supplement? I'm doing the Nordic Naturals DHA. Just wondering if there are other maybe better options.

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 PM

My midwife recommends Rainbow Light Prenatals. They are food-based and more readily absorbed. Typical OTC vitamins (i.e. from Walgreens/CVS/Wal-Mart) are usually too dense and don't use the best form of the vitamin for absorption. I get them at Whole Foods though I'm sure you could find them at any health food store or vitamin shoppe (or Amazon). 

Edited to add: one-a-day vitamins of any brand are particularly poor for absorption. you just can't expect your body to absorb what it needs in one mega dose.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM

I am also taking the Rainbow Light ones right now. Just grabbed them at the store the other day before I even got my BFP. Wishful thinking smile.gif

I was taking Solaray Food Source capsules, but ran out a while back. They seemed pretty fantastic. Smelled like onion powder or something.

I'm not yet taking DHA ones. Looking forward to hearing all the brands that everyone is taking.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM

DDCC...

i second new chapter organics perfect prenatal

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I take SISU Multi Expecting prenatal vitamins (a Canadian brand). You take 2 pills a day, and they are powdered vitamins in a gel cap, so if you throw up trying to swallow them, you can open them up and sprinkle on a spoon of food. I bought them at the health store, and I think they are probably a step up quality wise than Materna or the like. My local health store also had New Chapter prenatals, but they cost almost 50 dollars for a one month supply here, and I just can't pay that.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM

I really like the Rainbow Light prenatals.  I find them easier to digest and I'm hoping the red rasberry leaf, ginger powder and other herbals will be beneficial. 

Last pregnancy I took a prescription vitamin and it was really hard to keep down with morning sickness. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM

I take the Platinum Easymulti prenatal with DHA.  It's a one-a-day, but I did notice that it seems to absorb rather well (as long as I keep my water intake up).  I also take Sisu Calcium/Magnesium when I think my diet has not been adequate.  I have to admit - I can be a bit spacey when it comes to taking supplements. 

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM

my gynecologist has me on the gesticare dha.  i've had no issues w/ it so far- have been on it for 2 months now.  he gave me samples of some others (don't know their names at the moment) but i haven't tried them yet.  

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM

I take the New Chapter vitamins, Nordic Naturals CLO, and Floradix. I tend to get low in iron during pregnancy.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

I am taking Rainbow Lite prenatal as per the recommendation of my midwife (said they are more readily absorbed) - and you can get them at Target! I am taking a Fish Oil twice a day by Nordic Naturals.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm taking Thorne Research at the recommendation from my Naturalpath. You can find them on Amazon. I'm also taking taking their Vitamin D, 10,000 IU (I live in Seattle that has 9 months of cloudy and rainy). I'm also taking Pharmax DHA.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM

I'm taking Homefirst prenatals (  http://store.homefirst.com/Prenatal-Multi-with-Probiotics/productinfo/MPP/  )  they have methylated folate and b12  and has probiotics in them.   So far, only prenatal that doesn't make my kidney's ache! 

I'm thinking also of getting the Thorne prenatal to try- since it has methylated vitamins (more absorbable)

Taking Vital Choice Salmon Oil

Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil and butter oil  

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 PM

I'll probably change some when I hire a midwife and can get her recommendations.  For now, I'm keeping all my bases covered, but just normal Target stuff.  I'll spend the extra money once I know what I need for sure.  I'm taking fish oil, B complex, iron-free prenatal gummies, calcium/vit D, live culture yogurt and cranberry supplements.  I've had HORRIBLE dental problems post partum, so calcium is a way high priority for me, B complex helps my nausea, gummies help that too (although they turn my urine bright yellow, so I'm sure I need something that's more easily absorbed), and cranberry to avoid UTIs which I tend to get frequently while pregnant.  Goodness, some of those pills are enormous! 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow Light and I think I like them better than the New Chapter I took with my last baby. I'm also taking a Fish Oil tablet, but it's a special one that has no mercury. It has DHA in it.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM

New Chapter Prenatals here (three times a day, I freak out a little bit because I'm so afraid I'll forget) and Nordic naturals prenatal DHA.

I was thinking about taking some calcium supplements (we live in ME, always rainy, barely any sun here) but my bottle said not to be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding...is there a brand that makes prenatal calcium supplements? If so I couldn't find it.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDCC.  I was taking Rainbow Lights and stumbled upon a thread on here that had a link showing they are one of the top ten worst for lead content.  If you put it in the MDC search engine, I'm sure you can find the link.  I'm taking New Chapter now and I like them. 

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Any recommendations for DHA that don't make you burp trout flavor???  I don't think I can handle it once morning sickness gets worse.  huh.gif

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 PM

I've seen several times now in various places that if you put your DHA in the freezer and take them frozen you won't get the after taste. I haven't tried it myself so can't verify, but thought I would pass that along! 

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I take my DHAs at night so that the burping is gone by the morning.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM

After reading this thread, I decided I needed a good vitamin, not the big-box store brand.  I looked at Rainbow Light.  

What the main difference (well, besides the obvious!) between the one-a-day formula and the six-a-day formula?  

I ended up buying the 6 pill/day one, thinking that it made sense to spread out the nutrients all day for the best benefit, instead of one mega dose...but if I can get away with the 1pill/day, that'd be even better.   

I also bought some DHA, I totally forgot about it!  I took it last pregnancy.  Thanks for the reminder ladies!

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM

i'm not a super-big believer in vitamins, but last time i took the rainbow light 6 a day (and only took a few occasionally) and am now taking the new chapter ones.  they're ok.  i can't tell a difference either way.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM

I just ordered some Rainbow Light since my midwife recommended those or New Chapter, and RL was A LOT cheaper... like 5 months of vitamins for $15 instead of one month for $30.  I got the one-a-day and figured I could chop it in half and take it twice a day that way.  The 6-a-day are taken in 2 or 3 at a time, so it seemed like a good option with barely touching the budget.  :)  I just hope they're not as nauseating smelling as some reviewers claim...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Jaysmylittlepumpkin-- I tried taking DHA at night and that was much better!  Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/lead-in-vitamins.php is one of the links that lists Rainbow Light as one of the prenatals with the most lead.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm still trying to find a prenatal vitamin that doesn't make me gag.  I've tried chewable ones (where the flavor made me gag) and the Rainbow Light Prenatal One (where the size made me gag). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good prenatal that's fairly small in size?  I've been taking folic acid by itself, but I'd like to get all the other good stuff!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM

I take New Chapter or Rainbow Light when I take a prenatal vitamin. I feel better when I take the Rainbow Light vs. New Chapter.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerries View Post

I'm still trying to find a prenatal vitamin that doesn't make me gag.  I've tried chewable ones (where the flavor made me gag) and the Rainbow Light Prenatal One (where the size made me gag). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good prenatal that's fairly small in size?  I've been taking folic acid by itself, but I'd like to get all the other good stuff!

Rainbow Light makes a 'mini sized' prenatal.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-Prenatal-Petite-180-Count/dp/B002CPRLH6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/lead-in-vitamins.php is one of the links that lists Rainbow Light as one of the prenatals with the most lead.

It is specifically the Rainbow Light One a Day

Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM

I only took them during my first pregnancy... And it was some brand the health clinic handed out for free:/

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

User Tag List